gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 08:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Old school racing in Bournemouth
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Old school racing in Bournemouth  (Read 2208 times)

rhino_mac

Old school racing in Bournemouth
« on: March 04, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Might be a bit premature for this as I've only just got the frame and bars, but I'm building a Kuwahara Laserlite KZ-83. Initially, it was going to be more of hobby as I always wanted one as a kid, but now the bits are starting to arrive, I can't help but think it might be an idea to actually ride it and enjoy it. I'm only about 2 miles from Bournemouth BMX track so I'm tempted with a spot of racing. But I've got a few questions I'd appretiate some advise on where to start.

1) I've not ridden a bike for about 10 years, and not raced since Poole Panthers in about 1982!! How competitive is it in the old school class? I'm thinking I will be falling off a lot and mainly at the back of the pack by some margin.

2) I don't know anyone who races BMX's - my colleagues (who are all avid mountain bikers) are shaking their heads at me saying I'm mad and going through some mid life crisis! Is it a social thing too?

3) Any suggestions on the best place to start?

Any help would be fantastic!! Thanks, Richard

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Old school racing in Bournemouth
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 03:24 PM »
Richard, you'll not regret it....it's your friends who should be concerned about getting into OS bmx themselves  :)

I hadn't raced BMX since 89 until I rode at MK09 (the annual Old School BMX festival-thingy up in Milton Keynes) and had a blast. Like you I started with one bike, now like the "others" I have too many bikes... My mountain bike is fun, but riding a BMX again has been a hoot in the Old School class and there's a fair number of blokes down Pompey/Southampton/Bournemouth area that are into OS.

You'll soon find that there are a great bunch of like-minded people in this underground community.

gossa

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:10 PM »
Hi Richard, i'm over in Poole, I own bikelab on the George roundabout (opposite Barclays house).

I race infrequently (once a year!) but plan to get over to Bomo for gate practice when it warms up.

I'm an old school type of guy so come over for a coffee if you want, and if you need any help bike wise just ask.  I am in with the local chromers, powder coaters, polishers and anodizers!

Clive

rhino_mac

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 12:08 AM »
Ahhhh, hi Clive - I know the shop well as a couple of colleagues have bought MTB's from you over the years!

I work just up the road from BMX Plus and the chap in there (sorry, didn't catch his name) mentioned that you would be a good guy to get in touch with.

I'll definately take you up on that offer of a cofee some time if that's OK - I'll avoid Saturdays as I would imagine you're a bit busy  :D As long as I can find a set of forks, I reckon the bike will be ready for some evening practice in the Spring/Summer so it would be great to meet up. Really looking forward to it now although I might have to sort out my fitness a little!

Cheers

Richard

gossa

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 10:48 PM »
Ahhhh, hi Clive - I know the shop well as a couple of colleagues have bought MTB's from you over the years!

I work just up the road from BMX Plus and the chap in there (sorry, didn't catch his name) mentioned that you would be a good guy to get in touch with.

I'll definately take you up on that offer of a cofee some time if that's OK - I'll avoid Saturdays as I would imagine you're a bit busy  :D As long as I can find a set of forks, I reckon the bike will be ready for some evening practice in the Spring/Summer so it would be great to meet up. Really looking forward to it now although I might have to sort out my fitness a little!

Cheers

Richard

That'll probably be Ant Revell in BMX Plus, he was an awesome racer, i'll try and get him to come down to gate practice too. What forks do you need? As for fitness, we're all fat fookers now mate so don't worry about it.......

rhino_mac

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 11:15 AM »
I didn't catch his name but he was really helpful - I'll get a new Redline Flight crank set from him shortly to get the bike going until I can find a decent set of old school 400's.

I'm after some Tange TRX forks which were standard on the Laserlites - Alans BMX have just put some up on Ebay so I'll have to see how that auction goes, unless I can find a set elsewhere! I've got wheels now from funmonster on here so I'm not far off now. Should have the bike ready for any summer action!!

gossa

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 08:53 PM »
I didn't catch his name but he was really helpful - I'll get a new Redline Flight crank set from him shortly to get the bike going until I can find a decent set of old school 400's.

I'm after some Tange TRX forks which were standard on the Laserlites - Alans BMX have just put some up on Ebay so I'll have to see how that auction goes, unless I can find a set elsewhere! I've got wheels now from funmonster on here so I'm not far off now. Should have the bike ready for any summer action!!

I think I might have a set of those forks fella, i'll check monday.

rhino_mac

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 09:01 PM »
Ahhhh! Would be very grateful if you could sir!

gossa

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 03:09 PM »
Ahhhh! Would be very grateful if you could sir!

Sorry for delay but I have a new set of TRX forks for ya mate, shop number is 01202 330011

Clive

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Old school racing in Bournemouth

gfxgfx
gfx gfx