gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 07:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Curtis bmx
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Curtis bmx  (Read 1578 times)

munners

Curtis bmx
« on: February 14, 2009, 07:59 PM »
I went to a bike shop called Waldens in Kingston today, who were the biggest and best shop bitd in our area.

John the owner knows his stuff but you REALLY have to work him to get him talking.

Went in today and got on the subject of DP Racing. He told me how a major factor for the reason that they closed down was due to a similar scenerio that Hutch faced. There was another company called DP and they apparently went legal for the brand name. Really interesting. He knew Dave the owner well.

He also told me that he knew the Rickman brothers well and also Dave Curtis and his brother Brian.

He reckons that Dave Curtis, whilst he was running Curtis bmx, made up a frame and forks for him. It was a 24" cruiser based on a 20" bike. He gave Dave the dimensions and he knocked it up and Dave even chromed it for him. He stuck Curtis decals on it too.

He lent the bike to a friend a long time ago and i have pursuaded him to make that call and see if it still exist. :D

I will keep ya posted. Fingers crossed. It was apparenty a lovely frameset.

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
Re: Curtis bmx
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Interesting story Nick  :daumenhoch:

Im cathing up with Brian later this week as it happens  :daumenhoch:

I hope he has got a 24 for me too  ;)

munners

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Well his brother will definitely remember John from Waldens, kingston. ;)

Apparently they were motorcross boys as were the rickman brothers.

I am so sad but every time i go in there i spend at least 3 hours talking about old skool bikes and what he sold. He knows everything. Unbelievable.

Shame Biagio cleared him out. Only has a Skyway TA empty box left and a load of faded posters and banners on the wall. Wont sell me the box. :knuppel2:

Great guy. I lent him the Joe Kid on a stingray dvd today. He will love that!

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Thats how Brian got into it ! Making motorcross bike frames and also racing at a high level  :daumenhoch:

munners

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Thats how Brian got into it ! Making motorcross bike frames and also racing at a high level  :daumenhoch:

Mad aint it.  :daumenhoch:

magna13

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:46 PM »
Did Curtis do a cruiser orginally or is this a one of? ??? :-\

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 08:23 AM »
walden`s never had any real top quality stuff bitd as it was , only tuff neck stuff and that was all and lots of low end stuff that was good for me as skint bitd  . i got all my first bmx stuff in there when i was 14 . he must think you are stalking him and how many times have you been in there  ;D

they did do a 24 inch curtis  as gas head has one
no1stuntmaster on instagram

munners

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 08:29 AM »
The only thing he never sold was Hutch!!!! The mark up that Shiners made was too much for him to make a profit on and also the local kids used to go on their holdiays to the US and buy hutch back then. It was cheaper that way.

He sold everything Paul, from 400's to 401's and profiles. Harry Learys, ET Kuwaharas, TA's , Ripper, Haro Gen 1's! I know you like your Hutch though so maybe this is why you say.

Check the old mags and his advertisements. Dont know why you think otherwise?

I went there to get some Michelin 1.5's that he had left but he sold them he reckons. >:D

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 08:35 AM »
i never saw any of that stuff he sold nick as went in there a lot back in day i remember skyway stuff but that was all . maybe it was before i got in to it . cycle city in raynes park was the place for everything as had skyway ,hutch and loads of haro`s all in the window . nothing there now as changed owner`s 3 times as used to go in there as well as new malden boy   

munners

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 08:39 AM »
When i get back from my boys footy i will take some scans of his old adds. ;)

Weird as i was a new malden boy too and i never went to cycle city! :D :D :D

Went to the one in Guildford. Name escapes me. Hung over! ;D

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 08:51 AM »
i seen the scan`s as got all the mags  nick i don`t doubt you i just never saw any of it when i went in there maybe they only carried one  of each and sold it before i went in there . i remember a torker 280x hanging on the wall and streetbeat and prolite. a lot of stuff was stashed in box`s on rhd as you walk in
so if you are a new malden boy did you ride the bowl with the likes of hooke who was a nutter on a bike   

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 10:02 AM »
Yep Brian did do only a few 24's - There are only 3 that I know of and yes looks like the secret is out  :LolLolLolLol:

One lives here  :angel:

:smitten: :smitten: This is gunna be sooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweet  :coolsmiley:

chichi

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Yeah This sweet 24" lives with me and i now know of three others also...

:smitten: :smitten:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 04:44 PM »
The only thing he never sold was Hutch!!!! The mark up that Shiners made was too much for him to make a profit on and also the local kids used to go on their holdiays to the US and buy hutch back then. It was cheaper that way.

He sold everything Paul, from 400's to 401's and profiles. Harry Learys, ET Kuwaharas, TA's , Ripper, Haro Gen 1's! I know you like your Hutch though so maybe this is why you say.

Check the old mags and his advertisements. Dont know why you think otherwise?

I went there to get some Michelin 1.5's that he had left but he sold them he reckons. >:D

This is true, I got my Redline 401 from him BITD  8)

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 05:59 PM »
blimey chris you must have had rich parents or a good paper round as halford new malden had a set in there shop for years and always over a hundread pounds and i always wanted them but never did get them and someone must have bought them 

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 06:59 PM »
blimey chris you must have had rich parents or a good paper round as halford new malden had a set in there shop for years and always over a hundread pounds and i always wanted them but never did get them and someone must have bought them 

I got them when I was an apprentice at 16 or 17, had to save my £32 a week up + I used to do extra Electrical work, working with some of the Electricians I worked with & I would earn £20 a day  :shocked:  That was a lot, I would earn more in a weekend then I did all week  8)

dialledbikes

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Curtis schmurtis.

I'm too busy thinking how much I would love to tap that ass in Munner's avatar :P

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 01:23 PM »

I'd lay money someone nicked them :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 03:56 PM »

Ok how much  ???

No they stayed with me until I got rid of my TA

Chris  8)

super dj

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 04:22 PM »
hi , i have a new 24 inch curtis and its sweet , one of three new school ones , and i see brian alot as i live in the same town , im going to try and dig out one of my 20 inch bitd curtis frames , i used to ride for them . i quite often go over to the curtis workshop and watch the frames be lovingly hand made 8)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 04:14 AM »
as halford new malden had a set in there shop for years and always over a hundread pounds and i always wanted them but never did get them and someone must have bought them 

Ok how much  ???

No they stayed with me until I got rid of my TA

Chris  8)

Nicked from Halfords you donut  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Curtis bmx

gfxgfx
gfx gfx