gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975652 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6349 Members - Latest Member: Kev667 July 07, 2024, 04:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  have Premium ripped off Dibly's design?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: have Premium ripped off Dibly's design?  (Read 3131 times)

JT71

have Premium ripped off Dibly's design?
« on: February 12, 2009, 08:36 AM »
now i might not be the biggest fan of Uk but surely this is just a copy of one of their bikes? The revolution?
doesn't seem very sporting, whatever you think of them, to have the design nicked.
(for the record if an established brand have ripped him off here I am truely appalled and hope they get dealt with)

I'm sure if they have Dibly already knows.

the Lowpez LT looks and weighs about the same. (I must confess I don't know all geometry etc)

http://www.vitalbmx.com/news/news/Premium-Lowpez,5257
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:54 AM by JT71 »

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Re: have Premium ripped off Dibly's design?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Yep, direct copy. They released a prototype a couple of months ago...I wonder if Premium are going to get the same shite as poor Darren has to put up with.

JT71

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Yep, direct copy. They released a prototype a couple of months ago...I wonder if Premium are going to get the same shite as poor Darren has to put up with.

like i say, i'm not UKs biggest fan but i hope Premium get dealt with in a legal fashion.
Surely they can't just rip the design and get away with it.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:29 AM »
It's expensive to gain rights to a process in the USA, so I imagine they can get away with it.

But like they say, immitation is the highest form of flattery.

Someone high up obviously believes in it.

:daumenhoch:

username

dibly

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 12:25 PM »
this is very old  news now  :) i got over it with in 1 hour like stodgy says if a company like that has similar stuff to me then yes immitation is the highest flattery and i must be doing something right what ever the few say

dialledbikes

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:32 PM »
I'm not really understanding the Haro/Premium has ripped off UK Bike Co comments.

I'm just seeing another low profile heat treated frame that Haro/Premium has brought out.

UK Bike Co wasn't the first to make really low frames was it?

Also, I can't see Haro/Premium claiming anywhere that they have used the same special heat treating that UK Bike Co claims to have the exclusive licence for.  They're just saying their frames are heat treated, which many frames are (and have been for years).

If somebody brought out a frame that looked like a Quadangle, then I think it would be fair to say they'd ripped off/copied a Quad.  But at the end of the day, the Premium and the UK Bike are just very low DDHTs which I don't think anyone can claim exclusivity over (DDHTs that is).

I think it would be very difficult for a company to sue another company over what is, at the end of the day, is 8 metal tubes welded together. Lots of bikes have the same look, same geometry, made of same tubing, etc.  Look at the S&Ms, Revcores, BADDs, etc that were all made by B&E which were virtually the same bikes with different stickers on em.

username

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 01:31 PM »
Yep, direct copy. They released a prototype a couple of months ago...

Is that a genuine mistake or a convenient inaccuracy?

Pemium showed their frame at Interbike and it was all over the net mid september 2008.

Why say direct copy? They have a mid bb and a few other differences - at least the cable guides are removable as well as the mounts etc.

Surely this is just a result of dealing with the same manufacturers - the frames are a result of what the factory is tooled up / licenced to produce, like the superstar seatclamp?

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 01:54 PM »

Is that aimed at me or Premium Dave?

They have copied the essence of the UK Bike Co Revolution frame (low step over, short head tube, etc), but they have used the same heat treating process, so yes a 'copy' - but copies always have slight differences.

dibly

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 02:07 PM »

Pemium showed their frame at Interbike and it was all over the net mid september 2008.

[/quote]

i already had my frames in the shops by then

dialledbikes

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Have I missed something in the Premium write-up as they just refer to heat treating (i.e. I assume generic heat treating that numerous companies use), not the special/proprietary heat treating that UK Bike Co has exclusivity over.

I can see the similarities in the profiles/shape of the 2 frames, but you can say a lot of BMX frames look similar these days.

jon moss

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 02:25 PM »

like the superstar seatclamp?

the ukbikeco seat clamp is much better than the superstar one. theres is just a hole thru the frame. ukbikecos is like a built in seat clamp you just put a bolt into

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 02:33 PM »
ffs... i said a 'couple', perhaps I shoudl have said 'a few'. Is that better? I couldn't pinpoint an exact date, so I used a generic term.

Agree with you Mike that most frames look the same, but this one is extremely close in ethos to the UK Bike one (weight, dimensions), and as UK Bikes were first to market, then the Premium one is a 'copy'.

teamsano

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 02:58 PM »
i think 99% of all frames nowadays are very similar. but the tierra, uk, and that other u.s. mob with the very very low toptube all seem to be along the same line too.

would you say the united frames were a rip off from federal, because they are essentially the same bike?

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 03:08 PM »
LOL.

S&M are saying that everyone has copied the Slam Bar, they even have it on their 2009 graphics. But all handlebars are essentially the same.

And yes most new bike frames are copies of others...of course they are, they are all based around the same two triangle design. It's always just subtle differences that make a frame different.

It's just the ethos of the frame; the weight (in particular), the short headtube and the overall dimensions...plus the Premium one is coming out the same factory (I understand), that's why I think it's more of a copy than the others...and I believe it's the same heat-treating process as the UK Bike one too.

Listen I know you guys don't like UK Bike Co, it's well documented over dozens of pages, but don't draw this one out as well. I'm not defending UK Bike Co, but you guys go out of your way to ensure every thread goes the same way. Why not just let it lie, or does it really annoy you that much?

It's just BMX, lets be cool and love each other.

teamsano

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 03:23 PM »
jeez, i only said i didnt think it was a copy!

do we all have to agree now, or don't opinions count anymore? :police:

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 03:46 PM »
LOL - i thought you were getting agressive with me!

Oh, I love the written word.  ;D

And the only opinion that counts is mine.  ;)

jedi

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 04:14 PM »
they are probably made in the same factory. happens in mtbing too

dialledbikes

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 04:48 PM »
plus the Premium one is coming out the same factory (I understand), that's why I think it's more of a copy than the others...and I believe it's the same heat-treating process as the UK Bike one too.

Dibly should have words with the factory if this breaches the exclusivity he signed up for.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 05:03 PM »
plus the Premium one is coming out the same factory (I understand), that's why I think it's more of a copy than the others...and I believe it's the same heat-treating process as the UK Bike one too.

Dibly should have words with the factory if this breaches the exclusivity he signed up for.

Indeed.  :2gunsfiring_v1:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  have Premium ripped off Dibly's design?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx