gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975649 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6349 Members - Latest Member: Kev667 July 07, 2024, 08:15 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  diamond back
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: diamond back  (Read 1790 times)

eloopnai

diamond back
« on: January 25, 2009, 01:05 PM »
with many old bike companys from way back when mongoose gt kuwahara redline and raleigh all having race bikes now does anyone know if diamond back will be following suit ?

moomin

Re: diamond back
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 01:09 PM »
they did do some nu school bikes, Emmanuel had an aluminium one my dad got off ebay, mass produced and wasn't much cop hense why he went onto a Dialled :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:38 PM »
http://www.diamondbackbmx.com/bikes/race/reactor-pro/

Last DB raceframe that was anygood was around 2000/01,all pretty generic stuff since then...

dialledbikes

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:57 PM »
Sadly, the current incarnation of the Diamond Back brand is a mere shadow of the legendary 80's BMX company it once was.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:59 AM »
isn't DB owned by Raleigh now?  says it all really  :-\

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 08:35 AM »
As I work for Raleigh I'm probably best positioned to answer this with some authority.

Diamond back is a strange one as it's still US owned and they do make some very good race bikes aimed at the US market where racing is a lot more popular than here. At the moment Raleigh do not bring them into the UK but there is a growing pressure for them to do so. so watch this space as I can see a DB team in the not too distant future.

Raleigh have the license to use the name in the UK and do design their own mountain bikes here in the UK which are getting very good reviews in the mountain bike press.

Ride recently tested the Accomplice and that too got a very good review and they were impressed with it for the price point, so things are picking up on the BMX front.

The bar is being raised all the time on DB products and they keep getting better and better each year.

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 11:49 AM »
Simon,

Are you sure they design in the UK ? I heard a rumour that there was a design division over in Ireland but nothing concrete  ???

I though Raleigh's design team is based overseas  :-\
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 01:16 PM »
100% positive that the Mountain bikes are designed in the UK. A guy called Mike Sanderson designs and specs them.

A lot of the BMX's are just bought over from the states, however some of them are specific to the UK

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:01 PM »
Cool  :daumenhoch:

Only reason I asked is because we'd supplied them some design software a good few years back and spoke to them about six months, got told no more design work carried out in the UK....but that was at Nottingham, and customers/ex customers do not always tell the truth  ;)
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

tony williams

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 08:57 PM »
funny that i know a man who can have the same bikes diamond back have but with diffrant stickers on made for him in the far east and thats all the MTB range mind you he also has bikes with his name on the same as raleigh do some even have still have raleigh labeled tyres and grips on all very strange indeed ....... this cycle trade

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 08:25 AM »
There was an interview with the guy's from Hope in a recent MTN bike magazine which said that the problem of getting things made in the far east was that you could design something and it would be on ebay before it had been shipped back to you.

Having said that there is a lot of sharing in the bike manufacturing world isn't there.  :LolLolLolLol:

dialledbikes

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:15 AM »
There was an interview with the guy's from Hope in a recent MTN bike magazine which said that the problem of getting things made in the far east was that you could design something and it would be on ebay before it had been shipped back to you.

A bit of an exaggeration by Hope but highlights the importance of building up good relationships with the factories in Taiwan.

e.g. one well known bike company used one of the same factories as me to develop street/park frame prototypes but when it came to putting them into production they went to another supplier to save $5 per frame.  In my opinion, the frame factory would have been justified to sell that design to others (they offered it to me, but I declined).

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  diamond back

gfxgfx
gfx gfx