gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 09:44 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Leicester - Western Park
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Leicester - Western Park  (Read 9118 times)

ghpmidlands

Leicester - Western Park
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:47 PM »

Is there anyone from Leicester who used to race at Western Park ?

Offline AllAzusacroozer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Leicester - Western Park
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:47 AM »
I raced there a few times.  Being from Derby BMX club we came over for the Derby V Leicester races and remember i did an UKBMX midlands regional one year (85?) and the odd club race too i imagine. Iread on talk that the tracks still there?
Might try and get there later in the year as i'm not far away being near Northampton.  Pics are from 87 on Robinson and 84 on the Torker (ish)

markatkins

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:07 AM »
Im from leicester.I did a dirt jumping contest there back in........'must be mid 90s.
I also did all the speedwheel contest from the mid 80s that were held where the mini ramp is now.

westy

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:57 PM »
I raced at Western Park 82-84 -ish and at Derby a few of times.

Shame Western park track has gone, would love to see it back as it was great to race on. Made all the other tracks ive ridden on seem a little dull in comparison!

nosepickben

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 02:27 AM »
The no.9 in the 2nd picture, is that the guy from the egg farm? Daniel something..  ???

Offline AllAzusacroozer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 09:09 AM »
Totally forgot about the egg farm! but yeah it is. Daniel Overton, he was an age group above me as was Peter Kelf no.11. no idea who the no.2 guy is but he must of been from Leicester i'm sure this was a Leicester Vs. Derby annual event.  I think i must of been riding an age group as the guy in the white and red jacket is Jason Mellors who was my age group.

Dan had a younger brother who was in the age goup below me with Dale Holmes etc.

I guess you must be from East Midlands way too to recognise Dan?

nosepickben

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Sheffield. I raced at leicester a couple of times, probably 89,90,91 ish. Remember that there was a real swamp like pond thing about 2 turns after the sugarbowl, you didn't want to end up in there.
Ha yeah overton. can see his dad now!

MikeSlater

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 11:33 PM »
Stuart...your memory amazes me! Kelfy and the Eggman! The first time I ever got drunk (about 14yrs old) was with those 2 at an EM Regional Presentation evening at Newark!

Leicester was my first 'away' track... I think I even raced there on my shitty BH California! Loved it!

Mike

Offline AllAzusacroozer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:23 AM »
Hi Mike,

I remember Pete Kelf turning up in his brothers XR4I at Newark! that car was pretty impressive at the time, no idea what race it was though.  Check out the 'cool vids' thread and have a watch of the derby races, your in one on your cruiser finishing second.

My memories not that great, i dont remember you even having a BH, Nick Ballard YES! you NO! Jim Auger had a lovely Race Inc and his sister Juliet had Hutch.  Have a feeling Simon Beatson rode a Wilson? Jason Mellors had a PK Ripper then a Scorpion. Did Andy Glaister ride a PK Ripper too?

Any thoughts of a return? have seen Paul Clarkson, Ian Dixon and Simon Carter all on here or talk at some time. would be just like regionals bitd

MikeSlater

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 10:28 PM »
"Any thoughts of a return? have seen Paul Clarkson, Ian Dixon and Simon Carter all on here or talk at some time. would be just like regionals bitd"

I think there's more chance of them bringing back hanging than me making a return ;D  Yeah the BH was my first bike...I think BH stood for Bloody Heavy!

Both my lads have got BMXs (GTs) but we spend most weekends egg chasing I'm afraid..them playing / me coaching. I'm down in the South West now and I hear Bath has a good track so now the rugby season is over, I ought to take them along. Fuuny enough, that's how I started...just riding to keep fit for rugby...

laters, Mike

hudu

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Stuart...your memory amazes me! Kelfy and the Eggman! The first time I ever got drunk (about 14yrs old) was with those 2 at an EM Regional Presentation evening at Newark!

I think I was drunk that night too. The one in the big old Hall place with the gardens? Wasn't Mickey Dolenz from the Monkees doing the trophies?

nosepickben

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 11:10 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:  Yep. '85 i think. End of my first regional season.

hudu

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 04:09 PM »
:LolLolLolLol:  Yep. '85 i think. End of my first regional season.

Pffft. The region had Mickey Dolenz dishing out trophies, Sheffield BMX got Mat Hoffman and peeps got to go ride street.  :4_17_5:

Offline AllAzusacroozer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 02:36 PM »

Just scanned this in.

must be from 86ish i guess

recognise Barry Greenfield, Walter Farrington, Nathan Bash, Andrea Holtham, Petra Spencer, Mark Massey, Gary Cowler, Jason Mellors, Michael Bates, Dave Coleman and Pete Kelf for Derby holding the trophy.

paul clarkson

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 04:20 PM »
where is the 'cool vids' section cant seem to find it  :-\ :-\

TheOriginalNutter

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 06:03 PM »
I raced there a few times.
We'd started to transition* to freestyle quite early so I remember we did a freestyle competition in the rain. Just four of us (me, Kirk and two Leics locals) doing compulsories and a free run while the rain streamed off the ramps.

Happy days,

* see what I did there?

hudu

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 11:00 PM »
Great pic, brings back some memories of folk that does.  8)

Torker in the Mids...who are you fella?

Offline AllAzusacroozer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 12:31 AM »
Hudu,

I was Stewart Smelt  :2funny: Not anymore, obvious reasons :LolLolLolLol: from Derby Greyhound Stadium raced in the same agegroup as Mike Slater, Rob Males, Simon Carter, Paul Clarkson, Scott Newman, Alan Pointing, Ian Dixon, Chris Horsfeild, Keith Bicknell etc.  Stopped racing end of 88 i think (finished 5 EM  in 17+ that year) was knocking around with Pete Kelf, Jason Mellors, Batesy and Rob Denman around that time.

Did a couple of MTB races in the mid 90's when knocking around with Jez Avery.  Bought a GT24" the other week and had a few laps round MK in the sun the other day<first time on a track in 12 years at least> Knackered in 5 mins! but was determined to jump something, managed the littlest set then had a go at the second set - backwards :idiot2:  I Just scored an Azusa 24" on ebay, might inspire me to ride a bit more often.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Leicester - Western Park

gfxgfx
gfx gfx