gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Advice needed-Ripper repair and resto.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Advice needed-Ripper repair and resto.  (Read 552 times)

dt1969

Advice needed-Ripper repair and resto.
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Hi Guys,
Would appreciate some tips and advice-have got an early 80's looptail Ripper with original LG's. The frame is burnished, and the forks black.The frame has the start of a crack at the seat post (common enough!), at the moment it is 3mm.
Where is the best place to repair it (figure if I stop it now, will be easier to repair).
Also-would it be sacrilege to get the f and f powdercoated? At the moment, going thru some bikes on the museum, and love the look of Candy Blue. At the very least, think the forks will def get a change in colour, then will add some Duck Egg blue decals.
Have a load of blue colour survivor bits, inc wheels, and want to ride it.

Thanks in advance!

DT.

etriedes

Re: Advice needed-Ripper repair and resto.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:06 PM »
if it's gonna be ridden just weld it up and ride it, if you get it all painted you won't want to ride it and mess the paintwork up ...

just my opinion

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:54 PM »
it would be worse to ride it with just the alloy polished, as it will soon dull and show up scratches more than paint, get it painted in one of the candy colours, and you can have matching forks then!!!
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 05:55 PM »
Get it repaired,resprayed then mint her up and get out and tear it up! I brought mine back to life and spent last summer havin' loads of fun riding. PK Rippers are pure thoroughbreds....FACT    :coolsmiley:

munners

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 06:04 PM »
You can get it repaired Dave without going to the lengths of replacing the seat tube. They just put a weld over it and polish it up. If the crack is small and not 'open' then powder would cover it too. If you are gonna use it to ride then dont bother. Just make sure that the seat post isnt ridiculously high as it wil get worse most probably due to stress.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 06:09 PM »
was it the munners one or the bin priced off ebay a few months back at £350 .

munners

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 06:11 PM »
Not my one. Mines being repaired as we speak. ;)

Just dont paint it candy blue Dave! :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Burnished rippers rock. :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Advice needed-Ripper repair and resto.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx