gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 01:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Chicky alternative
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Chicky alternative  (Read 4731 times)

kdubbmx

Chicky alternative
« on: January 07, 2009, 08:15 AM »
Found a place for you/us to try out instead of just Chicksands all the time, bit closer for most of you (not Miles tho!)

Tilgate woods just south of Gatwick airport on M23.

No 4x but a real good slalom run at least twice long as chicksands one, loads gap jumps into downslopes, and some decent dirt jumps not as big as chicky's but still fun.

Lets work out dates etc an give it a try!!!!

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Chicky alternative
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 08:46 AM »
Sounds good

Can you get any photos?

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 09:00 AM »
What bike could I get away with at that site, would a normal mountain bike be ok? or could I get away with my cruiser?

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 09:08 AM »
any one tried PORC

Penshurst off road at all ?

cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 09:10 AM »
some info on tilgate on bike radar

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php't=12599808

its right next to  Crawley where i used to work  >:(
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

dialledbikes

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 09:12 AM »
Quite a few of my MTB mates go to Tilgate, though I haven't been yet.

Zippy, cruiser might be OK on some of the smaller trails/dirt jumps as might an XC bike (if it's small and chuckable - which I'm sure yours is  ;) ).  But for some of the bigger jumps and gaps I think a 4X bike or full-sus is better.

I used to go to PORC in the mid/late 90s but not been there for a while.

Keith, what about Rogate?

thecrooch

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 09:31 AM »
I used to do PORC as well - it suffers in the wetter weather and used to be more downhill orientated rather than 4X (though i think that may have changed now)

but its easily to get to and worthy a visit....

on an enitirely different matter, im planning an Epping XC ride on the 24th of this month if anyone fancies a pootle in the forest.  The pace wont be quick as i've still got a good sized turkey leg im trying to shift.. all welcome, plenty of tea and cake stops along the way....   Ride starts at my place in Woodford Green will be about 20 miles long. SOme excellent hidden descents and a couple of medium-ish lung busters to get the blood flowing...

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 10:15 AM »
I used to do PORC as well - it suffers in the wetter weather and used to be more downhill orientated rather than 4X (though i think that may have changed now)

but its easily to get to and worthy a visit....

on an enitirely different matter, im planning an Epping XC ride on the 24th of this month if anyone fancies a pootle in the forest.  The pace wont be quick as i've still got a good sized turkey leg im trying to shift.. all welcome, plenty of tea and cake stops along the way....   Ride starts at my place in Woodford Green will be about 20 miles long. SOme excellent hidden descents and a couple of medium-ish lung busters to get the blood flowing...

Now the Epping visit could get me interested. We used to ride out from Bethnal Green to High Beach most Wednesday nights when there was no summer series racing at Beastway.

thecrooch

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 10:47 AM »
you are more than welcome mate.. its always a giggle.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 10:49 AM »
I need to get out and go for a good ride. I bought a nice new carbon road bike the other week but it's been so cold I haven't had chance to ride it yet.  :(

thecrooch

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 10:58 AM »
tell me about it... since my accident in August, ive raced twice (in pain) and have ridden to work about 3 times... put on a stone - not good.  can finally grip the bars without pain now so  Racing every sunday this month and trying to fit in a bit of XC to lose the blubber.

Be great if you can make it, be a few Kent boys coming across the river from Bexley way as well.

You ride from my house straight on to the trails and some sweet singletrack is a minute away.

KERMITQUAD

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 12:07 PM »
I would be up for a ride over at Tilgate, its a bit closer for me than Chicksands. But it will have to be good to beat the awesome Chicksands.

I might be worth organising a trip to PORC, i used to ride there all the time. And Keith Wilson will show you the way down, if you can keep up.

Plus the top of the 4x course is cool nice big jumps and big doubles into the first corner.

Paul

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 12:48 PM »
Tilgate  :smitten: i used to ride there all the time on my crosser, the commission down there were always top guys. Always has a special place in my heart as you could just ride all day without any hassle as long as you stayed away from the pond and Golf course.

Can you pop up some pics please, i have a Video of me riding Tilgate somewhere 

hooga1975

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 01:00 PM »
Count me in.  I am always up for trying new places to ride. 
I wouldnt mind going to PORC as well, havnt been there for years

kdubbmx

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 03:58 PM »
I helped build most of the stuff down at Porc about 10/11 years ago, dont really like riding there on anything but full suss, the place is good but bit rough for hartails & def no no for cruisers.

Epping is  a mudfest this time of year but if you like that sort of thing............

Thought i recognised you from somewhere Zippy as i've been riding Epping forest since the 60's (have pictures to prove from 1969) & thought i'd seen you there!!!

Tilgate is pretty good for hardtails although not sure how it takes rain?

Rogate rocks but is v. steep & technical compared to Chicksands & TBH not sure if its up you lots street, I'd only go there on DH bike which is diff kettle of fish to what you lot do.

I'll nip down to Tilgate asap take some pics & give an up to date description & if i think its worth a trip for us all.  :)

thecrooch

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 04:12 PM »
Epping is actually riding pretty fast at the moment.... no rain for quite a few weeks has sorted it right out...  but yeah can be  mudfest... decent set of mud tyres and you are fine.

kdubbmx

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 04:17 PM »
Loughton camp is good for the jumps, also the rooty Downhill is nearby real good, also next to Wellington hill at High beach is the area known as the bmx track, all linked up by some decent xc trails.

Thinking about it it hasnt rained in ages so is prob ok right now if you stay off the horse trails.

Have fun.  :)

thecrooch

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 04:21 PM »
normally do a loop that takes in all of that, though unfortunately like a lot of national trust run areas, they often knock the jumps down.

its always fun when the wheels are turning dude!

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 04:22 PM »
I used to ride with the guys from Magic Bicycles in Whitechappel. Used to call ourselves the Tuffty Club for some reason.  :LolLolLolLol: Great bunch of guy's though, I remeber their mechanic Tim being very handy on a bike. ;)

thecrooch

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 04:29 PM »
I used to ride with the guys from Magic Bicycles in Whitechappel. Used to call ourselves the Tuffty Club for some reason.  :LolLolLolLol: Great bunch of guy's though, I remeber their mechanic Tim being very handy on a bike. ;)

Good bunch that lot, mate of mine worked there couple of years ago.  the shops moved now.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 05:11 PM »
I take it Scott and Rich still own the place?

thecrooch

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 08:48 PM »
i think so, they just moved it round the corner.

fed up with all the locals coming in trying to barter for everything....

dialledbikes

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 09:32 PM »

That used to be my local shop when I lived in Whitechapel from 96-98.  Tim is very handy on a bike as is his Mrs.  I think he's manager of a Cycle Surgery now.  I think the other mechanic there was called Scott.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 09:46 PM »
Scott was the owner with a guy called Richard. Rich went to work for Voddoo bikes for a while.

Did you ever bump into Costas while you were in there.

There was a great bunch of guys who used to hang out there and from all walks of life, some of my best biking days spent with those guys. Our trip to Snowdonia was a classic.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Chicky alternative

gfxgfx
gfx gfx