gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 04:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Seriously thinking of racing again - Advice needed
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Seriously thinking of racing again - Advice needed  (Read 3112 times)

jon016847

Re: Seriously thinking of racing again - Advice needed
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 08:49 AM »
Hay thanks all for your advice,   !  I am really up for this,    not vey fit but it should be a great laugh.

Silantpartner, if you do have a spare full face helmet for me to borrow that would be cool,   much appreciated, !!   - I will contact you before the event if I am not able to purchase on in time, and arrange to meet you there !!

As for practicing, this will be the first oppotunity to get to a track b4 the event so my practice will probably determine if i actually race, I may feel more practice is in order b4 i take  part in  a race, but I hope that is not then case.   

As for practicing speed jumps I probably wont be that fast for it to matter - LOL

Hope to see all you rad'ers there  - Dingo, thanks for the offer of the go on your bikes,  always happy to try out what the competition have to offer.  - I am in Birmingham  btw

Jon W
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 08:52 AM by jon016847 »

Jazzchimp

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 09:30 AM »
Do you lot think I can't hear you?? :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

Billstup, love the hardwear!! :LolLolLolLol:

frdavid

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 07:16 PM »
heyyyy Jon!!

i'm happy to read that you will race again  :)

you know when i decided to ride again after 18 years retired, first i took my laser lite, i changed the seat tube for a short straight, used ame round grips, old dx pedals, and new tyres, but kept all the other parts, but after few hours of practise it was definitly a bad solution.  I think the os bikes are too high and difficult to control on the new tracks, i tried a 2005 ripper and understood that in one second lol..
and finally i bought a 24", because better for my old body, now i train 1 afternoon per week, not easy because  everything has changed , you will see that you won't take the same risks than before lol....
everyday i go to the training center to improve my muscles and use the training bike for the heart,

i think if you didn't ride for a long time you need to take it seriously..

and i bought all the pads i could find, i feel really better with that.  ;D

jon016847

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2006, 07:33 PM »
I hear you bro,  My first outing will be very tame and more to find out what the track islike, if i think its too much after practice I am not race on day one, but i hope to, I was very technical bitd,  I had to be to make up for the fact i was quite small in amy age, I am sure come of those skills will come back sooner rather than later, I always wished the tracks had more to offer bitd, now maybe my wish has come tru,. just 20 years too late !!

I'll keep you posted on how i get on

Jon W

frdavid

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2006, 08:45 PM »
eh eh i hope the best for you Jon, and maybe in future i will come on an english race or you in France  :daumenhoch:

sam hudson

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2006, 11:11 PM »
Matey,i'm with FRDAVID.
I've been getting back into my bmx on my local cack track and it nearly kills me.I am training a bit now before i even consider racing...unless you are super fit ,it will feel like your heart is trying to 'ALIEN' out of your chest.Also i love OS rides but im a new schooler if im on those evil new tracks...i would cry like a girl if i fell off or broke my os rides.
I dont seriously think i could go full pelt around a new track,they are about twice as long as i remember the os tracks being..and the new ones have SERIOUS jumps.
Go for a good practise before you commit...i'm not going anywhere near a race until i can make a respectable lap.(ie actually finish the race :o)
Good luck mate

FIL S

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 01:37 AM »
Hey Sam,

When are you up for a visit to Coppull?  After going to Bones last week its got my confidence up and i feel like i can tackle a few of the smaller jumps at the track. I'm hoping to make it to Coppll this coming Saturday afternoon, weather permitting.

Phil.

jon016847

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 08:15 AM »
eh eh i hope the best for you Jon, and maybe in future i will come on an english race or you in France  :daumenhoch:

That would be cool !!   I think i need to see how race one goes beofre going international LOL -

AJWD

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2006, 09:39 AM »
Which bike will you use though Jonny Boy?

jon016847

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2006, 09:58 AM »
I am thinking of using my RED JMC shadow frame and forks,  with the following bits

Late 80's GT Profile cranks
Redline 43 chainwheel
Elina UL intergrated seat / post - set low in frame
Powerlite powerbend bars
Araya 1.5 aeros - sunshine hubs
etc

But not 100 % sure yet !

Maybe the old Ammaco,  Maybe the old Patterson ?

sam hudson

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2006, 12:02 AM »
When are you up for a visit to Coppull?

You've got mail matey

:daumenhoch:

mcam

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2006, 10:38 AM »
>I don't think I've ever got to the end so far. Sometimes it's easier to get off at berm 2 and get a coffee

I've just been reading this thread, and you guys crack me up. Damn funny!

Really interesting, as I have been considering the same thing (a return to racing). But I have told no-one close to me. I need to lose weight, and get into shape, and get myself a newschool ride. I couldn't bring myself to take either one of my GT cruisers out on the track. I've set myself a goal, that if I can lose the weight, and get into shape, I will reward myself with a newschool ride, and go racing.

Its weird, there is something still inside burning to get on that gate again. Or maybe thats just heartburn :)

Let us know how you get on Jono.... I'm reading this thread with interest :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Seriously thinking of racing again - Advice needed

gfxgfx
gfx gfx