gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975626 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 04:04 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  British Innovations to the BMX industry
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: British Innovations to the BMX industry  (Read 4750 times)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: British Innovations to the BMX industry
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 10:29 PM »
Matt Roach?   Good lad him  :)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 10:39 PM »
Back on topic for a mo....

The Static freecoaster.

nomad

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2008, 06:34 PM »
I had no idea that Alan passed away :( what happened. I used to ride Leigh loads, 1994 to 96. I actually sold a Haro Shredder frame to Trev, with a gusseted headtube, was light blue when I sold it. Trev was a cool guy, spoke to him a fair bit, but never really spoke to Alan. L.O.S pot noodles were part of the day for sure, as were space raiders and sitting on the top on the vert as it shaked with the force of Jerry Galley! Whats Trev doing now, anyone know?

bmxbert

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 08:53 PM »
last i saw of trev he was working in an estate agents that was next to there shop jelly mumbos. that was a long time ago now though. the shredder ended up black all over and i think trev well and truly shredded it on the 8ft and vert i remember wondering how he managed to ride it as it used to make scary noises when he rode it.
he wasnt the smoothest of fellows though  ;D

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 09:17 PM »
I believe Alan died of heart failure.  Very sad.

nomad

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2008, 10:23 PM »
very :(

cool as about the shredder living on, it prob should have been left for dead when the headtube parted company lol

teamsano

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 01:09 PM »
ever heard of pm's?

laughinggravy

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2008, 01:09 PM »

Alex had constant ideas for improving bike parts, and his bike through the 90's was continually evolving with his latest home made improvements, including: 14 mm axles, left side drive, hub protectors, canti front brakes, forward facing chain adjusters, alloy/steel combo pegs; these are just the ones that made the market place, some of his more outlandish experiments include using tubing for his frame gyro cable inner cable routing (dented) and . . I can't think of any others that didn't make sense, his ideas filtered through the industry and made the bikes we ride today. Bikes have even evolved to the stage that he now rides one completely stock, no fettling required!

He's even so acknowledged for his pioneering ideas, the owner of 'a v.trendy, progressive, european based bike co' sent him a box of stuff to say thanks!

Or Gracias in this case . .

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 08:28 AM »
rgd -through customriders, about 87-88 ish they did recess bolts for the front brake, stems with your name and a few other bits but cant remember what they were at the mo  :P

lodge

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 09:49 AM »
rgd -through customriders, about 87-88 ish they did recess bolts for the front brake, stems with your name and a few other bits but cant remember what they were at the mo  :P

Pretty sure they did a Rotor too I think it was around 86.

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 10:13 AM »

Pretty sure they did a Rotor too I think it was around 86.
yeah and those 2in1 gyro splitters and shims for redline cranks-anybody remember the rest ?

mi16kie

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 09:40 PM »
Hey mr gravy what about tour TRUCK RING wheel conversions that was a first too :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2008, 01:25 PM »
yeah and those 2in1 gyro splitters and shims for redline cranks-anybody remember the rest ?
[/quote]

Were they not Static parts?  From Custom Riders?  I have one of those cranks spacers on my cruiser right now   :daumenhoch:

They also did low bolt kits for ADs, and the 48 hole suntour freecoaster (with the washers).  Can't think of owt else.....

laughinggravy

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 11:36 AM »
Can't take the credit for TRUCK wheels mikie, that one was Dave Drew's idea. However, you can take the credit for replacing the bridge/straddle on a u-brake for a cut down bit of seatpost (bridge), and two spokes from this to the arms (straddle). No flex! And so crazy even Al hadn't tried it! But no give either eh?! Like the dual lower gyro cables, if your wheel moves or buckles, braking over . . . .

Static did a load of parts for 'the change', ie a milled 14mm chain adjuster, that would take a  10 m.m. axle, and custom riders also distributed some of Phils Rekka parts that did the same, ie inch and eighth cups that took inch forks. And having to file out the cable stop bits for a gyro to fit my first o-size d/bike, cos odyssey hadn't caught up yet..

An 80's one here, Sharp grips, that you could cut to length. Genius. Maybe.

welsh denny

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 02:40 PM »
still running my rgd/static 2 into 1 gyro splitter. had it since 91 or 92 and been on every single bike since. modified it quite a few years ago so cables slot in. years more service left in it yet. think i still got my static bearing spacer thingy too for cranksin my bike bits box.

noddybeard

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Dont those Sharp grips bear an uncanny resemblance to the Odyssey Gedda2 grips?!?!?

wirewheel

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2009, 07:43 PM »
has any one said g sport nip clamps? pure genius. nice bloke too. and phil rekka made me some king esque spacers that had built in chain tensioner and slotted to go 10mm axle in 14mm dropouts.

weighed a ton  :LolLolLolLol: but they were mint.

they could endup making stuff in  :Great_Britain: soon the way the dollar is going i can see an s&m frame being £600 soon. crazy.

sharp lever grips if anyone has any spare ones lmk  :smitten: they rule. used em since 83. :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 10:54 PM »
 :) A company called Leeson Bikes did the pivotal post/wedge bolt thing a few years back? (Like the one from ABIKECO) in 2004... 

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2009, 11:13 PM »
I don't think we can credit G Sport with the nipple clamp.  That little device has been around as long as the control cable has, they've been available in motorbike cable repair kits for decades, in all sorts of shapes and sizes  :)

Also, which came first;  Nipple clamp, or Knarp?

og zima

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Yip!  Rob Ridge   :)

The Zima frame with custom fixed length seatpost.  Steve Geall.  Sorry if I've spelt his name wrong.

no, you have spelt it correctly, probably one of the first times it has? didnt think at the time it was a innovation, just common sence. cheers rob

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 09:21 PM »
How many of those did you make?  I think I've seen 3 in the flesh, 2 fixed and one slider.

SaMAlex

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 09:25 PM »
Doug Cain still has his. San Fran Ian has one also. Infact Ian took his to Wilkersons Birthday party last week.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  British Innovations to the BMX industry

gfxgfx
gfx gfx