gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 05, 2024, 03:40 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Standard STA 500 save.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Standard STA 500 save.  (Read 10160 times)

chromeOrange

Standard STA 500 save.
« on: November 05, 2008, 12:10 PM »
Hi. I have a Standard STA 500 rotting away in my parents shed and I'm thinking of resurrecting it as a daily rider or to sell on. I bought this second hand back in 2002 I think and it has sat under a piece of tarpaulin and other junk since that day.
Just wondering if someone could give me a bit of a heads-up on this bike or point me in the right direction as my knowledge starts and ends with 80's OS stuff I'm afraid. Is there any way i can identify its exact year? The guy i bought it from said it was a few years old if I remember right (so I was thinking about 1999), but looking around it seems that this frame has been in production since 1994 - so it could be as old as that?
It has no decals on it at all and I'm guessing the baby blue was a repaint. It has a 21" TT and looking over it yesterday with a torch I remembered how rock solid the frame is. Dropouts are in excellent condition it seems but many parts of the frame and forks now have a fair bit of surface corrosion.
Two flat tyres, disintegrating grips, dry as a bone chain and snapped rear brake cable complete this sorry state of affairs...
I'd just like to know a bit more about the bike before I get going on it. Many thanks.

Mark.

nols

Re: Standard STA 500 save.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:17 PM »
great bike, and arguably the best frame available in its time. Made in America with a lifetime warranty.
I believe the 500 was a second generation of the frame as the first one was just a STA (Stronger Than All)
Was the Rick Moliterno Pro Model (owner of standard)
I can safely say that if you fixed this up it would do you proud as a daily ride, skatepark bike.

darkersomeday

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:39 PM »

Two flat tyres, disintegrating grips, dry as a bone chain and snapped rear brake cable complete this sorry state of affairs...

sounds like my kind of bike :smitten:

not really as collectible as the s&m's (yet) but still a very worthwhile restoration,

i do one, i've a sticker set here for when the right one comes along,

is it an ox-platinum version?
bmx bb?
what parts are on it?

for me, the standard STA is THE best bmx frame ever made,
no shit.

what else even comes close?

chromeOrange

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 01:20 PM »
Thanks for the response guys. Sounds like I made a good decision back then!

Six years is a long time and I was scrabbling around in pitch darkness last night. But I'm going to have it out in broad daylight over the weekend and get it back to my house. I'll post up a few pics if i can, that might help.

I'm certain it isn't an ox-platinum version though. Don't remember that it had anything extra special parts wise? But I'll be able to clarify that this weekend hopefully...

Mark.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 04:55 PM »
get it restored ,it will still outlast anything you would buy today ,just a bit heavier.

condor96

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 05:09 PM »
stas are nice,ive always liked them

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 05:47 PM »
get some bloody pics up man!

easy way to test whether its OX platinum. sit the frame (only the frame) on the bb and the dropouts on a flat surface. if it stays like that when let go its OX, if the front end drops its 4130.

if you want to know why i can go into more detail

JT71

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 06:30 PM »
if you want to know why i can go into more detail

please do..........

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 06:49 PM »
from what i can remember from speaking with rick the original idea to use ox tubing was not an overall weight saving thing but to give a better balance to a bmx frame. for all time bmx frames are front end heavy, hence why they drop to the headtube when sat on the bb. so in using the air hardened tubing a thinner gauge could be used but still maintaining the same strength, and as its the front end that has the air hardened tubing gave a better balance to the frame.

also making a frame completely of air hardened tubing the price would have been astronomical.

then other companies jumped on the band wagon, T1 were the next to use some form of hardened tube, then the likes of S&M, fit, fbm all jumped onboard. this started the weight saving mentallity then the lower end companies started producing weightless frames, not with hardened tubing but with thinner 4130 to keep weight down, but the strength of mid school was lost and the birth of new school had begun

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 06:54 PM »
still got this stashed away and one i ride,both utter fantastic frames and near perfect feel when ridden.

rory

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 07:03 PM »
dan would it be possible to have a pic of the decal on the sta forks . cheers

JT71

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 07:04 PM »
nice info phil.  :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 07:06 PM »

i will take a better pic if needed

chromeorange i would love to see the sta if you get a pic or 2.

rory

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 07:46 PM »
thanx dan :daumenhoch:

motomagII

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 07:49 PM »
wish i had never sold mine .someone on rad bought it cant rmember who was a great rider apart from tad heavy.got pissed with it and got rid when i broke me ribs at stockport riding it .tok some abuse though and only had tiny downtube ding to show ,

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 07:56 PM »
that was my one greg   it now belongs to   :)  someone with a SBC  tattoo

motomagII

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 08:04 PM »
yeah thats right dan got it off you who did i sell it to ?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Dear laz

motomagII

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 08:10 PM »
i was thinking that but my brain hurts if i use it lol

dan i absolutely love the chrome stas they are the dogs danglies .always preferred the standards to s%m especially the later 90s ones but dont see many about now .i think you got em all dan
lol

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 08:13 PM »
i think alex has one still ,well not to diss his s&m collection its his mates  i think,
but your right not many 1" sta 's around forsure.

chromeOrange

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 09:27 PM »
Again, thanks for all the comments and info; excellent postings Darth.

Don't worry Dan, I will definitely post up some pics after this weekend - it'll be in a very sorry state though...

The guy I bought it off was very heavy in build, so guess he wanted a very strong frame. In contrast I won't be stressing the frame an iota I should imagine!

Mark.

bmxbert

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 09:56 PM »
i want a nice nos sta to put next to my nos taj and nos holmes.
they to me are the three big bikes of the mid 90s when i was riding.

anybody know where i might find a nice sta 1" f&f nos.

hhhhhmmmmmm ::)

baldbmxer

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 10:00 PM »
Nice NOS STA there Dan  :daumenhoch:

Lazarou

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 10:12 PM »
wish i had never sold mine .someone on rad bought it cant rmember who was a great rider apart from tad heavy.got pissed with it and got rid when i broke me ribs at stockport riding it .tok some abuse though and only had tiny downtube ding to show ,

That'd be me Greg! Got a pukka spray job from Philbert and awesome decals from Del and she lives in my living room!

Lazarou

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 10:13 PM »
Just realised there were 2 pages to this thread! D'oh!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Standard STA 500 save.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx