gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975653 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6351 Members - Latest Member: Spencerkidd July 07, 2024, 09:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Great Ayton Quarry Trails  (Read 136764 times)

paulgray

Re: Great Ayton Quarry Trails
« Reply #175 on: November 14, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Roll on the summertime  :smitten:

Nige 83

paulgray

« Reply #176 on: November 14, 2008, 08:43 PM »
DP berm works, latest photos

As of 3pm Saturday 15th Nov 2008

As of Monday 17th Nov 2008

The workers, Tommy, Nige, Ste, Mike, Jack and myself  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 08:04 PM by paulgray »

paulgray

« Reply #177 on: November 14, 2008, 09:55 PM »
Nige doing a "flying duck", or was it a "bum scrapper" ?

Big air for BITD

And from another angle
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:45 PM by paulgray »

paulgray

« Reply #178 on: November 14, 2008, 10:23 PM »
awesome video eddy. god it was awesome when there was a teesside trail scene.

fens, seaton, barrys in billingham, captain cooks, grosmont, sneaton, indoor at ape, scarborough, carlton, guisborough an of course the quarry

those were the days  :)

Hey, lets make sure the best days are still to come

The quarry must live, and we're gonna inject it with steroids  :2gunsfiring_v1:

Gentlemen to your spades

scott250

« Reply #179 on: November 14, 2008, 11:06 PM »
Hello Paul + any AQLs, I bumped into Mike HIll last night he told me about some old school pics on here, so I've signed up.  Used to ride up Ayton with you in 93 time with Oshy, Dan Gall, Cliff etc.  Nick Ol, Riko, Daz Sted, Dave Kayborn, Ginga Bobby, Statty to name a few used to come over and ride too.  Mike and Ste N kieth showed up later bout 94ish I think.  I've missed out loads of names no doubt, sorry to you - I can see the faces but not the names.  Newcastle crew showed up loads too, Andy, Dave(big n little)Jay etc.

Mmm, I've got some pics for you, will post em in a while...

keiththompson

« Reply #180 on: November 14, 2008, 11:12 PM »
Hello Paul + any AQLs, I bumped into Mike HIll last night he told me about some old school pics on here, so I've signed up.  Used to ride up Ayton with you in 93 time with Oshy, Dan Gall, Cliff etc.  Nick Ol, Riko, Daz Sted, Dave Kayborn, Ginga Bobby, Statty to name a few used to come over and ride too.  Mike and Ste N kieth showed up later bout 94ish I think.  I've missed out loads of names no doubt, sorry to you - I can see the faces but not the names.  Newcastle crew showed up loads too, Andy, Dave(big n little)Jay etc.

Welcome to the thread :)

All pics are very welcome :daumenhoch:

scott250

« Reply #181 on: November 14, 2008, 11:17 PM »

me

Keith Bell

how could I have missed Martin Bell, the rider from Hell, hahaha.

Mike Hill going large or course, hahaha.

Ste Prez

Not Ayton, but this is Rico, cannot find a pic of Rico - this is AshTracks, where I used to ride if I couldnt get to Ayton.

scott250

« Reply #182 on: November 14, 2008, 11:32 PM »
I'm liking all the old pics of Dan by the way- I'm sure Dan could ride that place blind,  Ayton is fast and harsh to those who take a slam but Dan rode slow as hell and never slamed that I know of,, me on the other hand hit that glass like sand loads of times ::)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 11:46 PM by scott250 »

keiththompson

« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Them pics are so great, as is the venue. I would love to have had that around my way bitd.

It looks like a british version of sheep hills/trails in the good ol US of A.
How does it compare to those pics now Paul, any of it still look the same?

I would love to do a roadtrip "oop north" to ride it, but its a farkin long way.  :-[

Sean.  :daumenhoch:

Sheep Hills was a american version of Ayton Sean! Sheep was good but ayton was hellish for years. Get diggin lads, mek us another flying duck.
Dano
A few from sheep-hills... http://sports.webshots.com/album/57219646OkUbFV Its true, the 2 places are very similar.

keiththompson

« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2008, 08:52 AM »
I'm liking all the old pics of Dan buy the way- I'm sure Dan could ride that place blind,  Ayton is fast and harsh to those who take a slam but Dan rode slow as hell and never slamed that I know of,, me on the other hand hit that glass like sand loads of times ::)
Thanks for the pics Scott :daumenhoch:. Its true the surface can be a bit harsh. Over time the old smooth "orange" surface seems to have washed/worn away (as early pics to modern pics in this thread shows). Maybe the surface is one of the things the AQL's will try to improve over the winter.
Dan was/is one of the lucky ones who never seemed to have to put much effort into gaining distance/height when jumping. Unlike me in the 80's who needed a good downhill run-up, then going flat-out just to even get off the ground :D

paulgray

« Reply #185 on: November 15, 2008, 04:05 PM »

Hey Scott,

I remember you being up there regular, take a look up sometime if your passing and see how things have changed  :)

Paul

Anyone, why are some photos appearing small? Is it the DPI of the scan (I scan at 1200 DPI) or is it people scanning multiple photos in one go?

scott250

« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2008, 08:14 PM »
I'm liking all the old pics of Dan buy the way- I'm sure Dan could ride that place blind,  Ayton is fast and harsh to those who take a slam but Dan rode slow as hell and never slamed that I know of,, me on the other hand hit that glass like sand loads of times ::)
Thanks for the pics Scott :daumenhoch:. Its true the surface can be a bit harsh. Over time the old smooth "orange" surface seems to have washed/worn away (as early pics to modern pics in this thread shows). Maybe the surface is one of the things the AQL's will try to improve over the winter.
Dan was/is one of the lucky ones who never seemed to have to put much effort into gaining distance/height when jumping. Unlike me in the 80's who needed a good downhill run-up, then going flat-out just to even get off the ground :D

I rode Ayton for 10 or so years & yer I noticed the colour change.  Also when you went up the track leading up the stepup jump got more rocky from water washing down the bank.  Last time I rode it was two year back and my cranks snaped on the cliff section :-[ - got away injury free that time ;D

scott250

« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2008, 08:26 PM »

Hey Scott,

I remember you being up there regular, take a look up sometime if your passing and see how things have changed  :)

Paul

Anyone, why are some photos appearing small? Is it the DPI of the scan (I scan at 1200 DPI) or is it people scanning multiple photos in one go?

I scaned in at about 300dpi but I edited them in photoshop to 300 or 400 px wide at 72 dpi as they were only for viewing of my own website & not for printing.  I might try look up tomorrow, but I'm mister family man on the weekends for now, haha, got two kids one is almost 3yrs the other is 1yrs.  The oldest already has a GT bmx and can pedel it round :daumenhoch: .  I'm going to built a little trail for her in a couple of years, just ease her in to riding(that way I get to ride again >:D).

JAY175

« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2008, 08:54 PM »
hey scott, jay from n,castle!
hears one over the hip on me 24" from 2004, loved that jump

scott250

« Reply #189 on: November 15, 2008, 10:54 PM »
hey scott, jay from n,castle!
hears one over the hip on me 24" from 2004, loved that jump

Alright Jay, nice shot on the hipolia.  Think I might have some shots of you on 20" somewheres.  I have footage of your 1st flip atemp too, haha - I tried a front flip that went much the same way - I didnt walk properly for a while as the bar snagged my nuts nasty style, hahaha.  Think last time I seen you was in the dirt room at ape/h2, a while back.  Mike said your hurt your back not so long ago too, hope your OK anyways.

mikebmx92

« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2008, 08:03 AM »
go on jay fookin mint mate.... need to see some pics of ya bar hops and candy bars over big dubbles they were ideal.. get up the quarry mate its gettin nuts now loads of new shit gettin build :uglystupid2:

yo scott you to mate get yer sel up there and get some more pics out i know you have loads.... oh yeah 92 when we first started goin up there mate.. :knuppel2:

paulgray

« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2008, 07:24 PM »

Hey Scott,

Paul

I scaned in at about 300dpi but I edited them in photoshop to 300 or 400 px wide at 72 dpi as they were only for viewing of my own website & not for printing.  I might try look up tomorrow, but I'm mister family man on the weekends for now, haha, got two kids one is almost 3yrs the other is 1yrs.  The oldest already has a GT bmx and can pedel it round :daumenhoch: .  I'm going to built a little trail for her in a couple of years, just ease her in to riding(that way I get to ride again >:D).

Ha, a cunning plan, it worked for my mates Nick and Nige, they're back riding the quarry with their sprogs :daumenhoch:, luckly i've still got my old GT from BITD.

scott250

« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2008, 11:02 PM »
go on jay fookin mint mate.... need to see some pics of ya bar hops and candy bars over big dubbles they were ideal.. get up the quarry mate its gettin nuts now loads of new shit gettin build :uglystupid2:

yo scott you to mate get yer sel up there and get some more pics out i know you have loads.... oh yeah 92 when we first started goin up there mate.. :knuppel2:

Haha, sorry Mike mate your probly right, i'm oldschool and my brain is damaged for sure - remember first riding the Q in like 1987 time on a dp frestyler- only one odd big double and a dirt 1/2 pipe is all can remeber of that era.  I got back into riding a bmx in like 92 time after my girlfriend at the time droped me, haha, thank fook she dumped me.  Im gonna try get up for sure, next time I see you give me your number or send it pm here or something.  I do miss all us lot being up the Quarry - seemed like we would all ride it for ever.

scott250

« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2008, 11:35 PM »
+ Anyone remeber mad Andy and Charlie bros who used to ride.  Andy just used to grunt more than speak ;D was a good lad tho.  We did a train through to the last big set before the stepup & I remeber Andy bumping has front wheel off my back wheel a couple of times in the air & him laughing to himself- nutter, hahaha.  Charlie was hardcore and new the score, or so he said :2funny: got some footage of him tring to twist a hip in the quarry wall - he slamed hard and his lid poped of his head  :2funny:

Ian kashan(not sure if thats spelt right) too, nutty as, had a haro sport and tried to set up a bmx shop and Co. - last bumped into him in Boro - he was working on building downhill tracks or something.

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2008, 07:26 AM »
Ian Cation works in Bike Scene now in Guisbrough.  Rides MTB still I think.

paulgray

« Reply #195 on: November 17, 2008, 10:37 AM »
Some really good stuff from Mike Hill's photo collection

Jumps

Dusk

More to follow ...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 10:58 AM by paulgray »

scott250

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:41 PM by scott250 »

Eddy

« Reply #197 on: November 17, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Cool pics, am up home the weekend after next and will sling the old spade in and have a pop up if am not moving burms up summerhill!

Anyone heard from barry recently?  I don't think I seen him since the end of Fens which was over 8 years ago now!

I see Schulze every now and then, i think he has been racing motor cross and doing quite well at it!  He turns up at Summerhill every so often and schools the place with his nac nacs!

paulgray

« Reply #198 on: November 17, 2008, 07:49 PM »
Two early photos of the quarry circa 82

??? Three more jumps I'd forgotten, table top into first berm, speed bump on exit, speed bump next to doubles on third straight. Quite a river running into the swamp and now I think of it there was a pipe under that speed bump to let the water out.

Clear view of boulder hill without all the gorse on top, and the lower quarry before the trees grew.

paulgray

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails

gfxgfx
gfx gfx