gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975653 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6351 Members - Latest Member: Spencerkidd July 07, 2024, 08:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Great Ayton Quarry Trails  (Read 136758 times)

scott250

Re: Great Ayton Quarry Trails
« Reply #225 on: November 21, 2008, 10:40 PM »
Fooking hell, how did you move it?

keiththompson

« Reply #226 on: November 22, 2008, 12:33 AM »

A few points of interest for you old time AQLs. I think I can see where we found the old sleeper. Also look at the height of the mound on the way down to the lower level, it's gone now, I wonder if it was bulldozed into that hole that keeps appearing? And these photos are from before we built the boulder hill berm.  Also the original run into the parachute jump can be seen. Look at how small the gully (to the left of Nige) was . Think Jack Galloway probably took these photos.
Its great that all these old pics turn up.

Do you know, somewhere in the back of my mind i can half remember pulling that sleeper out (saying that... is it a sleeper, or a prop from a mine shaft, Its certainly in a good area where that hole keeps appearing to say it might be.
I think the mound was used to fill in the hole when it first appeared. Possibly a piece of the hallowed riding area went as well looking at how steep (vertical) it is between Nige and the sleeper.
Not one single jump built by the look of things, so (not counting the "parachute" jump(cos its natural)). what was the first jump/berm we built.... I think it was the speed-jump (saying that it cant have been as it led from the 1st berm)... so was it the table-top?

nigel hutton

« Reply #227 on: November 22, 2008, 08:49 AM »

was made up on sunday just gone,watching ste jumping with such ease and style ,it was an education on how to ride
hope all these people who say there gonna dig come though and walk the talk ,nick said you
went up monday? aye right there like nige ... cant dig the jumps on the internet ya have to get filthy dont ya.... dont let ste hear ya sayin that about him his head'll be fuuckin massive haha
ye alright i didn,t tell him how good i thought he was ,but he defo inspired me great to have us all digging and riding again  se ye soon mate

lol thats brill great picture how the hell ya do that my computer skills are nil so i,m impreessed.that other photo is me on the old mongoose .great to have dan on here he,ll have to pop home next summer to ride the new improved quarry.would love to organise some type of big jam next year what da ya think? anyone have any ideas?.keep digging AQL

Nige, it looks like Mike was right, Ste must have overheard you  ::)

nickbrick10

« Reply #228 on: November 22, 2008, 08:30 PM »
Sorry for my absence lads, knacked my foot, only doin a bunny jump ( do they still call it that ) anyway flung bike to back of garagein disgust.
Now logged on , gettin all nostalgic again, went up the quarry...havnt you all been busy, must have a bit of irish in yers, love the berm.

Where are you gettin all these photos from Paul, do you have more, there fantastic. I have turned the house upside down and cant find a one, maybe I was just too tight to get them processed.

Take it Roseberry Rocket is Dan Galloway, have tried to post him on facebook but looks like he knew all along about this site, anyway hope your good Dan.

Isnt the guy on the Mongoose Nick Clay, maybe, he had Red Tuffs on I think.
Going to try and getup tommorow and catch up a bit, see ya soon, Nick Foster AQL

paulgray

« Reply #229 on: November 23, 2008, 06:55 PM »

Where are you gettin all these photos from Paul, do you have more, there fantastic. I have turned the house upside down and cant find a one, maybe I was just too tight to get them processed.

Take it Roseberry Rocket is Dan Galloway, have tried to post him on facebook but looks like he knew all along about this site, anyway hope your good Dan.

Going to try and getup tommorow and catch up a bit, see ya soon, Nick Foster AQL

Firstly, apologies for not getting my spade out this weekend, but been doing forced labour in girlfriends kitchen again. Heard some of you where up there on Sunday in the snow and freezing cold, that's true enthusiasm.

Nick, so far I've posted all the photo's from my collection and Tommy's collection, and some of what Adam gave me. Also some of Nige's, there're still some to follow. Borrowed a stack of photos off Ste which I am posting as I get around to scanning them. Mike Hill also gave me a good bunch of images which I am in the middle of posting.

Yes it's Dan  :daumenhoch:

Not sure if it's Nick Clay, just thought it could be Nige from the bike.

Will have to catch up this week while your bro is here.

Gotta dash...

Paul

nigel hutton

« Reply #230 on: November 25, 2008, 04:21 PM »

did a couple of hours on sunday couldn,t stop to drink me red bull it was freezing up there .added more to the end of the berm good digging weather much better than being indoors,i was suprised the darker it got the temperature went up so i got me head down and kept digging next thing i knew it was pitch black,couldn,t see a thing coming down anyway going for some tea keep digging AQL.

Firstly, apologies for not getting my spade out this weekend, but been doing forced labour in girlfriends kitchen again. Heard some of you where up there on Sunday in the snow and freezing cold, that's true enthusiasm.

Nick, so far I've posted all the photo's from my collection and Tommy's collection, and some of what Adam gave me. Also some of Nige's, there're still some to follow. Borrowed a stack of photos off Ste which I am posting as I get around to scanning them. Mike Hill also gave me a good bunch of images which I am in the middle of posting.

Yes it's Dan  :daumenhoch:

Not sure if it's Nick Clay, just thought it could be Nige from the bike.

Will have to catch up this week while your bro is here.

Gotta dash...

Paul

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:32 PM by nigel hutton »

roseberryrocket

« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2008, 07:45 AM »
Paul,
Im almost positive the lad with the yellow pads and red jumper & cap is shaun! The little lad far right is my brother sam

roseberryrocket

« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2008, 07:48 AM »
Paul,
Im almost positive the lad with the yellow pads and red jumper & cap is shaun! The little lad far right is my brother sam
God, im shit at this, gonna have to read the 'help' file

keiththompson

« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2008, 05:42 PM »
Found this.... it must be the biggest jump ever in the quarry... unbelievable!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Cx0ULDhvo

::)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:44 PM by keiththompson »

nigel hutton

« Reply #234 on: November 26, 2008, 10:08 PM »
them controlled cars are a pain in the arse up there they churned it up stay away

paulgray

« Reply #235 on: November 26, 2008, 11:24 PM »
Paul,

I saw Shaun last month while I was digging, not seen him in years, he seemed quite surprised to see me building jumps again after all this time  ;D

Thought it might be Sam, saw him in The Seven Stars last winter, he recognised me, I would have never known him. It's surprising how many people come up to me in pubs and say "do you remember me? I used to ride up Ayton quarry with you", it's bloody embarrassing when I can't remember them  :-[

Keith and Nick,

Is that Graham on his Piranha with the yellow pads? And is that a Grifter with chopper forks and front wheel ?  :-\ I seem to remember Scotty having a bike like that, I was impossible to wheelie, can you remember?

paulgray

« Reply #236 on: November 26, 2008, 11:31 PM »
Exit light

Enter night

paulgray

« Reply #237 on: November 26, 2008, 11:35 PM »
Death Pack

Another monster double
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:39 PM by paulgray »

Maccaz

« Reply #238 on: November 27, 2008, 07:21 AM »
Nice one paul. that first one is now my desktop :)

ATTENSHUN NIGE:

can you private message yet? if so can you message me your number? i was pissed and lost my phone last night  :laugh: cheers bud!

roseberryrocket

« Reply #239 on: November 27, 2008, 09:11 AM »
Paul, Check this out: http://bmx-recollection.com
They have scanned old BMX weekly mags in and in the first one we have a mention at Herlingshaw.
Brilliant.
Dano

keiththompson

« Reply #240 on: November 27, 2008, 08:03 PM »

Keith and Nick,

Is that Graham on his Piranha with the yellow pads? And is that a Grifter with chopper forks and front wheel ?  :-\ I seem to remember Scotty having a bike like that, I was impossible to wheelie, can you remember?

I cant remember Shawn Manship up the Quarry, but I do now remember Scotty. They were both best mates for years though so maybe shawn did spend time up there.    (I ve just remembered 2 Scottys...Shauns friend and andrew scott around our back. Which do you mean?
Yes I remember the "impossible to wheelie" bike
I dont think the yellow pads is GG, the lad in the pick looks quiet tall and slim, where GG was a litter chubby bugger.
The lad on the far right of one of those 2 pics is young spud, who used to ride in his blue trials overalls, and I think wellies.

keiththompson

« Reply #241 on: November 27, 2008, 08:18 PM »
The pic "another monster double" on page 16 shows the idea I had when clearing a path up to the top tuther saturday.....................

Only bigger :P

paulgray

« Reply #242 on: November 29, 2008, 12:10 AM »

Keith and Nick,

I cant remember Shawn Manship up the Quarry, but I do now remember Scotty. They were both best mates for years though so maybe shawn did spend time up there.    (I ve just remembered 2 Scottys...Shauns friend and andrew scott around our back. Which do you mean?
Yes I remember the "impossible to wheelie" bike
I dont think the yellow pads is GG, the lad in the pick looks quiet tall and slim, where GG was a litter chubby bugger.
The lad on the far right of one of those 2 pics is young spud, who used to ride in his blue trials overalls, and I think wellies.

I was meaning Andrew Scott from round your back.

Centre of picture in background, Adam, Tommy (yourself), Graham? ... fits your description to a tee ;) did you know that he's tall and thin now? ha ha only joking he's still the same, only difference is he rides a Yammy R1 now adays  >:D

Thanks for that link Dan, will have a better look at a more sensible time, gotta get some zeds now, I mean sleep not the ACS kind.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 12:18 AM by paulgray »

nigel hutton

« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2008, 04:57 PM »
great looking back at those old mags dan.can remember getting off the school bus running into middle worthies for my copy to see if my name was in it,sweet.hope ya keeping well bet your glad to see the quarry coming back to its former glory .?.next year its gonna be mega everyones got big plans. take care good to hear from you AQL

paulgray

« Reply #244 on: December 01, 2008, 10:27 AM »
The pic "another monster double" on page 16 shows the idea I had when clearing a path up to the top tuther saturday.....................

The jump shown no longer exists BUT we could build another take off onto the side of DP1 launcher and build a new landing in that big empty space.

Had a look up the Q on Saturday, there was a hard frost, the ground was frozen solid.

keiththompson

« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2008, 05:03 PM »

The jump shown no longer exists BUT we could build another take off onto the side of DP1 launcher and build a new landing in that big empty space.

Had a look up the Q on Saturday, there was a hard frost, the ground was frozen solid.

I was up mon-tues-wed and sunday about 3ish each time.... but I dont have a spade ::)

nigel hutton

« Reply #246 on: December 03, 2008, 07:34 PM »
where is everyone don,t let the crap weather get ye down soon be spring  :daumenhoch:

paulgray

« Reply #247 on: December 04, 2008, 01:54 PM »
where is everyone don,t let the crap weather get ye down soon be spring  :daumenhoch:

Time to hibernate now the snow is falling  :( but not to worry, we'll soon be cursing  :tickedoff: the sun for doing this to all the new jumps we're gonna build. In the meantime you can eat drink and make merry without worrying about your waistline, as the spring digathon will burn the fat back off  :laugh:

paulgray

« Reply #248 on: December 04, 2008, 02:12 PM »
Summer time, Big Hip, Boulder Hill, AQ

nigel hutton

« Reply #249 on: December 10, 2008, 09:24 PM »
cheers paul for these summer time pics ,make me feel so much better already .that hips gonna be mine come spring time can not wait.got me new stem on order from santa,The big news is i,ve even sold the trial bike to concentrate on the quarry and riding with jack for next year ive got to give it full comitment and see what happens,get in see you all soon.AQL

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails

gfxgfx
gfx gfx