gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 01, 2024, 02:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Great Ayton Quarry Trails  (Read 136586 times)

paulgray

Re: Great Ayton Quarry Trails
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2008, 07:05 PM »
I said reverence not ridicule  :P ;D, anyway I've lost half a stone since I got back into this diggin malarkey so you can drop the fat bit  ;)

P.S.

Rumour has it that there is a secret stash of AQL  T shirts  8), further investigations required.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:08 PM by paulgray »

paulgray

« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2008, 07:53 PM »
AQL Nige Hutton jumpin the old doubles on the old track, circa 1983.

Looks like there is a speed bump coming out of turn two before the doubles which I don't remember and a slight step into the berm.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 09:28 PM by paulgray »

keiththompson

« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2008, 09:51 PM »
Cushty pic and great for the memorys :daumenhoch:

I remember the small step-up into the berm, but I cant recall the small speed-bump coming out... ???. That sleeper laid next to "step-up", I wonder which jump that is burried in.
Other things I noticed, the hill stuck up behind the old track start is so much bigger on this pic, and the wind-bush Paul, that you wanted to cut down but the Nat' trust gadgey stopped you..... Well look on here, its always been there ;D

PS... the more I think about it, I do remember that speed-hump coming out of the berm. It was part of the learning for racing.
PPS.. The main speed-jump to Nige's left......... looks very lonely :P, I wonder if we will ever see a single speed-jump up there again :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:23 PM by keiththompson »

nigel hutton

« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2008, 10:15 PM »
AQFF- Ayton Quarry Founding Farthers, the original diggin crew, an elite group of hardcore has beens, old fools with spades, deserving of great reverence.  :crazy2:

Oh I thought AQFF was for the more senior riders...Ayton Quarry Fat F**ks ....  ???
anyway where can I get a shirt from......  ;D
fat f**ks! theres always one!

Maccaz

« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2008, 10:21 PM »
Nige looks twice as tall in that pic! rocking the 80's cut too. The quarry looks so different back then, almost if they were still mining there  ;)

keiththompson

« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2008, 11:44 PM »
Check out some of the jumps on this thread  :crazy2: :idiot2: :uglystupid2:

http://www.bikeguide.org/forums/showthread.php's=cad31d613a7c89b9360dc8a50e756934&t=151036
Tonight is the first time ive actually sat down and had a look through these....trully amazing, and some great idea's

Good to see the "quarry" is in there :daumenhoch:

paulgray

« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2008, 11:50 PM »
Cushty pic and great for the memorys :daumenhoch:

I remember the small step-up into the berm, but I cant recall the small speed-bump coming out... ???. That sleeper laid next to "step-up", I wonder which jump that is burried in.
Other things I noticed, the hill stuck up behind the old track start is so much bigger on this pic, and the wind-bush Paul, that you wanted to cut down but the Nat' trust gadgey stopped you..... Well look on here, its always been there ;D

PS... the more I think about it, I do remember that speed-hump coming out of the berm. It was part of the learning for racing.
PPS.. The main speed-jump to Nige's left......... looks very lonely :P, I wonder if we will ever see a single speed-jump up there again :D

Yea maybe I do remember the step into the berm, I don't think the bump coming out lasted long. The thing is boulder hill was usable and bare on top and it looks so much better now it's cleared of those "weeds".

Loved those little whoops even though I busted my collar bone getting em wrong  :buck2:

You're right, that peak was a lot higher, look
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:58 PM by paulgray »

paulgray

« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2008, 11:55 PM »
Nige looks twice as tall in that pic! rocking the 80's cut too. The quarry looks so different back then, almost if they were still mining there  ;)

Yea he was eleven foot tall and ridin a 26" in that pic  :2funny:

The quarry was expanded to it's current size in the seventies, about five to ten years before that picture of Nige was taken. In some ways it was better bare as there was no jungle to impede your riding, and there where many more possibilities than now  :(

keiththompson

« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2008, 12:22 AM »
Was watching this.... Not a valid vimeo URL ...and im sure thats Nige at about 44 seconds with his famous "RED" jumper on.

paulgray

« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2008, 12:31 AM »
Was watching this.... Not a valid vimeo URL ...and im sure thats Nige at about 44 seconds with his famous "RED" jumper on.

:LolLolLolLol:

And a good video to.

roseberryrocket

« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2008, 05:40 PM »
Some of the original quarry men.
Fully rad.
Tommy and Paul

Nige

Nick

Adam

roseberryrocket

« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2008, 05:45 PM »
Them pics are so great, as is the venue. I would love to have had that around my way bitd.

It looks like a british version of sheep hills/trails in the good ol US of A.
How does it compare to those pics now Paul, any of it still look the same?

I would love to do a roadtrip "oop north" to ride it, but its a farkin long way.  :-[

Sean.  :daumenhoch:

Sheep Hills was a american version of Ayton Sean! Sheep was good but ayton was hellish for years. Get diggin lads, mek us another flying duck.
Dano

roseberryrocket

« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Dan Galloway was about six when these pictures were taken. He was a national contender in his age group and went on to race motorcross. Dan did a lot of work developing the quarry a few years ago, building some impressive jumps.

You must have some good pictures for us Dan?
Yeah got loads of pictures. How good is it seeing em again.
Ill get me Dad to dig em out. Ill have some recent ones too.

paulgray

« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Dan Galloway was about six when these pictures were taken. He was a national contender in his age group and went on to race motorcross. Dan did a lot of work developing the quarry a few years ago, building some impressive jumps.

You must have some good pictures for us Dan?
Yeah got loads of pictures. How good is it seeing em again.
Ill get me Dad to dig em out. Ill have some recent ones too.

Hey Dan,

I was wondering if it was you, great to have you on here. You're definitely one of the original quarry men, even if you where a but young to swing a shovel BITD, you've certainly made up for it since. Are you still doing anything on two wheels?

Paul

paulgray

« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2008, 06:33 PM »
Them pics are so great, as is the venue. I would love to have had that around my way bitd.

I would love to do a roadtrip "oop north" to ride it, but its a farkin long way.  :-[

Sheep Hills was a american version of Ayton Sean! Sheep was good but ayton was hellish for years. Get diggin lads, mek us another flying duck.
Dano

I think this was the "flying duck" jump and I think that's you holding the board., and your dad took the picture.

Can you remember the "avalanche" and the "landslide" and the "parachute jump"  :laugh:

paulgray

« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2008, 06:40 PM »
Tommy, can you remember when the top of that mound was covered in gorse and brambles, and there was only a narrow path through the bushes to access the run up?
The last bit of bush was still alive in the picture, but not for long  >:D

paulgray

« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2008, 06:44 PM »
Check out some of the jumps on this thread  :crazy2: :idiot2: :uglystupid2:

http://www.bikeguide.org/forums/showthread.php's=cad31d613a7c89b9360dc8a50e756934&t=151036
Tonight is the first time ive actually sat down and had a look through these....trully amazing, and some great idea's

Good to see the "quarry" is in there :daumenhoch:

Would like to build one of those 270 degree berms, looks crazy.

keiththompson

« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2008, 06:46 PM »
Tommy, can you remember when the top of that mound was covered in gorse and brambles, and there was only a narrow path through the bushes to access the run up?
The last bit of bush was still alive in the picture, but not for long  >:D

Yep...In the days of trackers..............late 70's/very early 80's.

keiththompson

« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2008, 06:49 PM »

And a good video to.
There must be a space in the quarry for 2 of the square thingys.(the main 2 jumps used in the video)............lot of digging though

keiththompson

« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2008, 11:44 PM »

Dano

Dan-the-man..........good to hear from you. Hope you keep in touch with us all on this thread and hope to see you again one day.

I was thinking if you had changed much from a rising 6yo... well I have to say Dan, you have let yourself go a bit...http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qCGxQJXXii4

jon moss

« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2008, 10:27 AM »
awesome video eddy. god it was awesome when there was a teesside trail scene.

fens, seaton, barrys in billingham, captain cooks, grosmont, sneaton, indoor at ape, scarborough, carlton, guisborough an of course the quarry

those were the days  :)

spicybob

« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2008, 11:09 AM »
Awsome thread!
Brings back so many happy childhood memories from my local dirt jumps.
Any Dartford guys got any pics from the heath in the 80's?

nigel hutton

« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2008, 05:01 PM »
hows it going mate ? just to make you green with envy jack and i had an hour and a half riding the trails last wednesday afternoon really nice and dry ! trying the new table and of course your favourite the middle hip and the doubles,my new cranks are sweet! i know you,ll love us telling ye we,ve been riding.............not. get those soft southern street tryes off. all the best AQL ;D :D :Great_Britain:

paulgray

« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2008, 07:07 PM »
Here's one of Nige strainin himself out the side of the quarter pipe  ;) 83

paulgray

« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2008, 07:18 PM »
Quarry tool 1983, Nige's GT

Gawd, the surface was worse than I remember  :shocked:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:31 AM by paulgray »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails

gfxgfx