gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 12:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Been riding this over the Summer...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Been riding this over the Summer...  (Read 5101 times)

lloydieboy

Been riding this over the Summer...
« on: October 12, 2008, 12:49 AM »
This has been my latest ride this summer. '85 Streetbeat modded up to nuskool spec. Running 990 brake on the back, gyro mounts on the frame, cable guide on the bottom tube.. 1 1/8th Odyssey pro flatland forks. This bike baby rides like an F'ing dream! Gonna get it painted up real good at somepoint but for now it just rides......

Lloyd

nosepickben

Re: Been riding this over the Summer...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 02:38 AM »
Really good, like this a lot. Good concept, can't believe you went to the trouble of building it up without painting the welds tho..  :'(

White is good, a great looking bike just can't dig those pegs! too flatland for me, nice one tho, glad she's good to ride.

magna13

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 10:10 AM »
 :shocked:

dan-dare

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 10:16 AM »
Nice one. :daumenhoch:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 10:37 AM »
Cool mate....I love to see an old new hybrid!

There's a great Gt Performer on www.bmxmuseum.com that has a perfect mix of old, mid and new!

Can't wait to see it painted but I do agree on those pegs, not a fan.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 11:00 AM »
That looks like it would rock for riding flatland, great to see an old/new hybrid  :daumenhoch:
What headset are you running, 1" cups with looseball bearings?
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

spinmaster

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 01:39 PM »
like that. looks like a good flat set up. how did you set it up to use those forks on that frame as i fancy doing something like that with a 92 master.

lloydieboy

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 03:28 PM »
Cheers.

I know what u mean about it being built without finishing the paint. I was only gonna build it up to see if i could get it to work, but then it all worked out and i just started riding it and didn't want to break it up cos i wanted to keep on riding it. I will get it painted over the winter tho. Gonna give it to SBD, may go with a candy red on this one or good old Streetbeat orange...

As for the pegs, they're an acquired taste i agree. This was always primarily a flatland bike so they work for that very well.

Really good, like this a lot. Good concept, can't believe you went to the trouble of building it up without painting the welds tho..  :'(

White is good, a great looking bike just can't dig those pegs! too flatland for me, nice one tho, glad she's good to ride.

lloydieboy

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 03:35 PM »
Right, tried a few sets of cups but found that most were too small to get over the fork. HOWEVER, Tioga Beartrap headset cups work a treat. So it's the shim that sits at the bottom of the forks, then Beartrap bottom cup full of grease and 1 1/8th bearings loose in the cup. Top Beartrap cup again full of grease with loose bearings then use the rest of a 1 /8th headset to put it all together. It really works well now...

If you have any further questions give me a shout but i think you'll find it real easy.

Lloyd

like that. looks like a good flat set up. how did you set it up to use those forks on that frame as i fancy doing something like that with a 92 master.

spinmaster

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 03:50 PM »
cheers, i'll give that a go. what did you use as a shim? also out of interest where did you get the AD mounts and cable guides done? 

lloydieboy

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 03:56 PM »
Sorry, shim is not the right word. Just meant the bit that you get with a headset that slides over the forks and sits at the base of the headset. Does that make more sense.

A couple of friends helped me out with the welded parts. Did a great job on it too.

cheers, i'll give that a go. what did you use as a shim? also out of interest where did you get the AD mounts and cable guides done? 

spinmaster

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 04:08 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

will give it a go and see what happens.

Offline HARODAVE

• Rockwalk
  • the artist formerly known as DAVE3172 !!
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 06:51 PM »
that`ll look the business when its painted ...very good mix of new and old school ...i`m doing something similar with my zippo/master ...top job Lloyd!
With Bacofoil and a Battering Ram !

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 05:22 PM »
nice take on an old school frame  :daumenhoch:did a similar build with a green beat ,nice n light for flat. 8)
where did you get those oddy forks from?

spinmaster

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 06:06 PM »
what gearing have yoou got on that? are you running a freecoaster?

lloydieboy

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 09:23 AM »
Cheers, i got the forks from

http://kunstform.org/bmx-flatland-shop/

Really good guys, nice quick delivery. Shit hot forks too!

Lloyd

nice take on an old school frame  :daumenhoch:did a similar build with a green beat ,nice n light for flat. 8)
where did you get those oddy forks from?

lloydieboy

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 09:24 AM »
Gearing is 39/13, just a cassette on the back at the mo...

Lloyd.

what gearing have yoou got on that? are you running a freecoaster?

spinmaster

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 09:26 AM »
don't suppose you know the lowest gearing you could run on this do you. i'm hoping to run a 33-12 on a 92 master but not sure if it would work. sorry for all the questions. lol.

lloydieboy

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 12:49 PM »
Well on this frame and how the brake mounts have been welded on this was about as low as i could go. I did try a lower config (alot lower!) and the chain just rattled along the brake. I suppose it all depends on the angles of the frame aswell... That's about as much help as i can be on that one!

don't suppose you know the lowest gearing you could run on this do you. i'm hoping to run a 33-12 on a 92 master but not sure if it would work. sorry for all the questions. lol.

spinmaster

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 04:39 PM »
cheers anyway. don't think i'm going to be able to go too low as the mounts are quite high but will just have to find out when i do it.

skids

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 07:11 PM »
Realy like that!!!!
And you've just answered a question about headsets [old frames/new forks] :daumenhoch:
lets see it painted next!!!
.....Skids

lloydieboy

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 09:16 AM »
Yeah, i used a Beartrap2. only bits i used were the cups. They give you enough room to get the forks through. I then filled the cups up with grease and used all the bearings from the 1 1/8 headset, taking them out of the race. They are loose in the grease. The rest of the headset is the 1 1/8 set.

It's worked very well.

Have fun!

Lloyd

Would tioga bear trap 2 head set work?  I want to do this too but at the moment ive just got a normal 1" threaded head set. 
So would I need to get a 1 1/18" head set and a 1" tioga bear trap 2 head set?  Use the cups and race from the tioga set and the loose balls and rest from the 1 1/18th set?

spinmaster

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 08:39 PM »
have tried this and it works great.  :daumenhoch:

lloydieboy

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 01:06 PM »
Cool! Get a picture up so we can have a look then!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Been riding this over the Summer...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx