gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975769 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 06, 2024, 04:27 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  BB BEARING REMOVAL ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BB BEARING REMOVAL ?  (Read 609 times)

Offline HARODAVE

• Rockwalk
  • the artist formerly known as DAVE3172 !!
  • Rated:
BB BEARING REMOVAL ?
« on: October 06, 2008, 04:56 PM »
 hiya all , i`m swapping the 3 peice cranks off my 06 sport over onto my zippo frame , i`ve got both the crank arms off and tapped the spndle out ,but how do i get the bearings out of the cups ? do the cups have to come out ( hope not  :-[) or can i jiggle the spacer out of the way and tap them out from the inside? ..and what is the best thing to put through so i don`t knacker them? don`t want to start twatting things with hammer and screwdriver before getting some advice ...cheers ...Dave
With Bacofoil and a Battering Ram !

beaglepopper

Re: BB BEARING REMOVAL ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Are they sealed bearing's? If so then yes you need to knock the cups out.  :daumenhoch:

fouronethreeoh!

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:23 PM »
If its an american bottom bracket,unfortunately you are correct that you have to persuade them out with a hammer.
There is no best thing really, something solid like a bar of sorts(socket extension bar).
I wrap the end of the bar with masking tape so it marks less, doesnt matter how hard you try you get a few dinks on the cups.
Use a good firm hit, then move the bar round a bit and do it again.
Once they start moving it gets easier.

p.s. mind your fingers  ;)

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:25 PM »
use a socket extension bar to tap them out.

you cant really control whether the cups come out of the bearings, or if the cups leave the frame.

luck of the draw.

pop it through the spacer tube, lever it up as far as it goes then tap. circulate the movement, and itll pop out.
I want to touch ORB

Offline HARODAVE

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:27 PM »
thanks for the tips fellas ...had a look at various related subjects on here , with it being a newish frame i`m beginning to think that they`re the cartridge bearings that press straight in , no cups ....so i`ll have to take a deep breath and tw@ them out as carefully as poss then?

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 07:29 PM »
go fer it.
I want to touch ORB

Offline HARODAVE

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 08:06 PM »
 :daumenhoch: PHEW  ..JOBS A GOOD UN!!  thanks for the help fellas ...used a socket extension wrapped in an old dishcloth ...bearings came out first ..then the cups ...after a lot of persuation ...now to get the old cups out of the zippo frame and the sport ones in without fooking my lovely new spray job , GENTLY DOES IT ....... CHEERS AGAIN LADS ..YOU ROCK !!!   :4_17_5:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 08:07 PM »
good lad.
I want to touch ORB

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  BB BEARING REMOVAL ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx