gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 06:53 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Herlingshaw indoor races
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Herlingshaw indoor races  (Read 15452 times)

jonpaul11

Re: Herlingshaw indoor races
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 11:38 PM »
You sound like a Newcastle local if you know Clarts
Yep, was local.

That's Clarts on the DP behind my JMC at Dunston track might be Gladis on the other bike in that photo aswell
I think you're right about Clarts behind, not sure about Gladis - didn't he always have a chrome Curtis?

I was 2 years below you and Gary, a year above his brother Lee and Nelly Robinson.  I used to live along the road from Clarts, over the road from Windy Nook track. I rode with him and the leam lane lot across the NE.

I can remember hanging around darke's cycles on a saturday and you turning up on crutches with a broken ankle after a skate boarding accident... I think Dave Young was there that day too. correct me if I'm wrong.

Last I heard of Clarts was he's still working in the same garage as when he left school, Gladis married the sister of my sisters friend - Helen Jane.

I've not seen Clarts for years, I used to bump into Dave Young in the Fourth, Mayfair, Riverside, Telegraph and more before I left newcastle about 13 years ago...

jon

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 06:53 PM »
I don't think that's Gladis either just wanted to bring his name up  ;D. Jay Parker bumped in to "Tony" and a few of his mates mountain biking the other year and you'll never guess that upto that point they didn't know he was called Gladis  :LolLolLolLol:. Gladis used to ride an MRD.

That picture at Dunston was my first race back after breaking my ankle, 12 weeks in a pot that wreaked 1985  :tickedoff:. Can't remember been in Darkes with a pot on but then again most of the time I can't remember yesterday  ;D

I'm still ridin' with Dave Young abit and he probably still goes to most of those bars (except the Riverside which is gone). Another name from Washington way that is riding again is Gary Brown.

I'll did somemore NE pics out soon  :daumenhoch:

Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

jonpaul11

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 09:59 PM »
I was in the same age group as Jay when I raced. He was another old face that often used to turn up in the Barley on the quayside when that was still there!

For some reason I always thought Gladis rode a curtis, I rode an MRD (which I still have) and never thought I was on the same bike as Gladis!

:)

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 06:08 PM »
I'll have a dig about for Gladis pictures  ;D

paulgray

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Any of you fellas remember my mate Nige Hutton. He used to race in the age class below me on a GT. Well he's riding again and diggin dirt up Ayton Quarry with his eldest son Jack. I'm trying to get my hands on his photo albums, hoping for some good shots of a few Teeside tracks.

JAY175

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 09:31 PM »
jay parker!
didnt he go to oldskool bmx,ers anonymous and manage to kick the habit completely a few years back?? :idiot2:

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 12:29 PM »
the original south bank track was next to the roundabout near  to where the redcar bears speedway track is now.

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 01:41 PM »
jay parker!
didnt he go to oldskool bmx,ers anonymous and manage to kick the habit completely a few years back?? :idiot2:

Looks like he's relapsed to me  ;D

paulgray

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2008, 10:32 PM »
the original south bank track was next to the roundabout near  to where the redcar bears speedway track is now.

Cleveland BMX club ran the first two tracks at South Bank.

The first track was the one with the left right 180 berms at the end of the first straight and a pyramid some where near the end yea? Circa 1983? It had to be abandoned because the land was contaminated  :10_2_12:. Has anyone got a picture ? I only raced there once, I remember Kev O'Connor doing 540 spins on his back wheel on the back side of the pyramid, I was well impressed. Can you pip point the location of the first track with google maps? cheers  :daumenhoch: or I'll have to track down Don Robinson and ask him.

The second track is the one most people remember and was used circa 1984 to 1985 before the club moved to Redcar race course.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=54.578074,-1.165978&spn=0.001129,0.002266&t=h&z=19

See this topic - http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=72782.0

The Langbaurgh Lions track was the third, built next to the roundabout you describe circa 1989, I helped design it but never raced there.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=54.57949,-1.186749&spn=0.001129,0.002266&t=h&z=19

Here's a picture.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 08:27 PM by paulgray »

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2008, 10:56 PM »
I think it was in this area, look to left of the picture, near Old Station Road...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=54.579698,-1.187124&spn=0.013133,0.038452&z=15

I went once in the early 90s...  only because it had a berm with a concrete lip that you could get good air from ;)

Very dodgy area :-\

...sorry, I should have said 'Shit Hole'...
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2008, 12:32 PM »
the first track was next to the roundabout where theA66 meets middlesbrough road in the google earth picture.it was just up the road from south bank train station.

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 05:28 PM »
I know I am coming to all these threads but...
Herlingshaw - my first ever race on my Raleigh Tuff Burner.  Both my and my dad knew nothing!  I remember checking the boards for the quarter finals after the motos and I couldn't find my age group (not enough riders).  Me and my dad assumed that know one qualified so I went outside to mess about on the curbs and missed my semi.  Terrible I know.
South Bank - yes I remember the Tim March session.  He told me my tuffs were useless for racing and I was wasting energy.  I badgered my dad non stop for some skinnies after that!
Happy days.
I also remember my dad, Ian Johnson and loads of others chasing the scroats at one meet when they set the grass on fire.

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 06:38 PM »
A few limited Eston pictures in here.  See if you can spot yourself.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=79801.0

oldskoolcool

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 10:17 PM »
I know its been a while since anyone posted on this thread but i was hoping to restart the interest.
I'm too young to remember any of this as i was only born in late 78.
I always heard about these places but never visited any. My mates who had older brothers always talked about 'herlingshaw' but none ever went! i dreamt of blasting my Burner around but as i said, never did.

My interest in these places was raised by a friend of a freind posting some early race pictures up and all the memories came flooding back. I'd love to visit these places and find out where they were, even if the tracks have long gone at least i can say i made it after all. You never know, i might even take my burner along!

oldskoolcool :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Herlingshaw indoor races

gfxgfx
gfx gfx