gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 04:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Can you name this track and riders
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Can you name this track and riders  (Read 3361 times)

paulgray

Can you name this track and riders
« on: September 24, 2008, 10:55 AM »
I've been trying to remember which NE track this is but I can't do it.

The pictures are from a race in early 87. I am number 5

So who can tell me,

1) It's location?
2) The name of the zeronine rider?
3) Who is in the background?
4) What I did with my missing JT body armour?   :tickedoff:

P.S.

Some of you might recognise No 1034. He's still racing, but who is he?

hudu

Re: Can you name this track and riders
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 01:57 PM »
Looks like Yeadon, Leeds to me. But that was Y&H.  :-\

magna13

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 03:09 PM »
whos number 5? he looks the bollocks! what bike is it?

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:27 PM »
zakk

i taught no 5 all he knows

i am the master

r

magna13

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 06:18 PM »
zakk

i am the master

r
so what did 'the master', teach him then?... to drink alot? ::) ;D ::) ;D

paulgray

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 07:00 PM »

Hey hudu,

I think its further north than Leeds, but about Yeadon, is this the track you mean?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Yeadon&ie=UTF8&ll=53.870709,-1.674439&spn=0.001161,0.002288&t=h&z=19

The location looks familiar but I think the layout was different BITD. I remember racing Woody at a regional in 89 and putting a block pass on him in the last berm to win, I'm thinking it could have been here  :-\ The track I remember had a 90 deg left hand first berm followed by a big table top then 180 left berm into long curving slightly uphill straight then 180 right hand berm, followed by doubles just before the last 180 left berm and the finish line.

Back to the mystery track, could it be at Barnard Castle? It looks like it could be next to a church yard, I think those could be yew trees behind the stone wall.

Oh yes, the Powerlite rider on the start hill is Darren Kirkbride.

paulgray

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:18 PM »

He was the bollocks and I sti... I mean he still is  ::)  ... It's a Redline Proline PL20  :4_17_5:

zakk

i am the master

r

... thats a load of bollocks  ;D ...

zakk

i am the master

r

:buck2: Hick, burp, fart, I luv yu Russ, yor ma besht frend, iz yor round, get em in mate  ;) like the Revcore  :daumenhoch:

AndrewNelson

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 07:24 PM »

Hey hudu,

I think its further north than Leeds, but about Yeadon, is this the track you mean?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Yeadon&ie=UTF8&ll=53.870709,-1.674439&spn=0.001161,0.002288&t=h&z=19

The location looks familiar but I think the layout was different BITD. I remember racing Woody at a regional in 89 and putting a block pass on him in the last berm to win, I'm thinking it could have been here  :-\ The track I remember had a 90 deg left hand first berm followed by a big table top then 180 left berm into long curving slightly uphill straight then 180 right hand berm, followed by doubles just before the last 180 left berm and the finish line.

Back to the mystery track, could it be at Barnard Castle? It looks like it could be next to a church yard, I think those could be yew trees behind the stone wall.

Paul,

I agree with you, I'm pretty convinced it's not Yeadon (as that was my home track).

The google link is to the Yeadon track (which I believe is being currently upgraded again).  And your memory of the track layout bitd is spot on.

The reason I don't think it is Yeadon is because you should be able to see the 180deg right hand berm (after the slight up hill as you describe it) next to the start hill in the photo, and there shouldn't be any houses in the background either.

Sorry I can only say where it isn't, not where it is!

Andy

paulgray

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 07:50 PM »

Hey hudu,

Paul,

I agree with you, I'm pretty convinced it's not Yeadon (as that was my home track).

The google link is to the Yeadon track (which I believe is being currently upgraded again).  And your memory of the track layout bitd is spot on.

The reason I don't think it is Yeadon is because you should be able to see the 180deg right hand berm (after the slight up hill as you describe it) next to the start hill in the photo, and there shouldn't be any houses in the background either.

Sorry I can only say where it isn't, not where it is!

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for that, I'm sure it's not Yeadon now that you've confirmed the old track layout. Did you race there BITD?

Paul

magna13

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 07:59 PM »

He was the bollocks and I sti... I mean he still is  ::)  ... It's a Redline Proline PL20  :4_17_5:

zakk

i am the master

r

... thats a load of bollocks  ;D ...

zakk

i am the master

r

:buck2: Hick, burp, fart, I luv yu Russ, yor ma besht frend, iz yor round, get em in mate  ;) like the Revcore  :daumenhoch:
mint bike  :smitten: still got any of the kit?

paulgray

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 08:37 PM »

Wish I did, I had two PL20s. Cracked the first one so I painted it with hammerite and used it as my winter training bike. Cant remember the fate of the second one but I can't find it, and I can't find my body armour either which is really annoying.

magna13

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 08:46 PM »

Wish I did, I had two PL20s. Cracked the first one so I painted it with hammerite and used it as my winter training bike. Cant remember the fate of the second one but I can't find it, and I can't find my body armour either which is really annoying.

shame really, those PL20's are one of my dream bikes and to not have that JT armour... very annoying!!

AndrewNelson

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 08:54 AM »
Andy,

Thanks for that, I'm sure it's not Yeadon now that you've confirmed the old track layout. Did you race there BITD?

Paul

Yeah, but I'm a bit younger than you so we wouldn't have raced against each other.  My first ever race was there in about 84ish (in the 6yrs).  I raced for the Dambusters club (which was based at Yeadon) until it merged with Bradford Bandits in about 89/90.  My dad was involved in running the club for the last few years.  I stopped racing altogether in about 91/92.

Andy

jonpaul11

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 09:54 AM »
I think it's Barnard Castle...

The last pic defo is - the wall in the background ran down the side of the first straight.

jon

xtremepervert

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 02:45 PM »
That berm looks a right state wherever it was!

paulgray

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 06:22 PM »
That berm looks a right state wherever it was!

Naw, it's an early rhythm section  ;D

steveN

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 08:12 PM »
1034 is me and I was also riding a Redline PL20 which i still have. Not sure of the track but that wall does look like what i can remember of Barnard Castle, or could it have been Middleton Teesdale.

Steve Noble

paulgray

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 11:21 PM »
Hi Steve,

I don't recall ever racing at Middleton-in-Teesdale, I am inclined to agree with JP11, Barnard Castle.

I think it's Barnard Castle...

The last pic defo is - the wall in the background ran down the side of the first straight.

jon

Is your PL20 up and running? Great bike, loved mine.

jonpaul11

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 11:36 PM »
I'm almost 100% it's Barnard Castle...

If I remember correctly Teesdale was in the middle of nowhere with a long downhill first straight, I can't remember a wall there... I think I only rode there once. Can't remember if it was NBMXA or UKBMX. Barbard castle was a wee track that I rode on a lot more often, wall to the right of the start hill along side the first straight.

I do remember both your names. I think you were 17+ when I would have been riding 14's or 13's. Nice to see some pics and 'faces' I recogonise from the NE region other than Plinky's and Dave Young...

jon

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Can you name this track and riders

gfxgfx
gfx gfx