gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:11 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Helmets for racing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Helmets for racing  (Read 1311 times)

sam hudson

Helmets for racing
« on: January 17, 2006, 06:39 PM »
Ok,if i'm not going to hooping it around concrete skateparks...just on tracks...do i really need to spend a small wedge on a 'motorbike' helmet?
So are these poly helmets(which i assume are the cheap diamond back ones etc) any good?
Obviously they arent as good as motorbike helmets but do we really need a super tough helmet? It can be bad when you spill but not as bad as doing 70 mph and spilling!!!
Help as i want to get on a decent track again and i need a helmet but i dont have a fortune to spend on one.
Finally,which helmets can you paint? it not the Polycarbon ones is it?
Ta :coolsmiley:

mightymini

Re: Helmets for racing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 06:55 PM »
full face motor bike approved moto cross helmets are the way to go, the fibreglass ones are about £50, wich is cheaper than a lot of bike helmets. i wouldnt bother with the diamond back type

Flying_fox

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 07:03 PM »
Go for a MX lid, they are much better than those crappy BMX/MTB ones. Believe me when your head hits a track on a hot summers day when its like concrete you'll thank yourself. You can get a cheep kite marked MX lid for under £100. Fox do a nice looking budget one, I got my missus a Icon one and see gets on fine with it.

Check out www.btosports.com they got my Troylee SE to me in 3 days when my old one was stolen out of the back of my van, and most English mail order places cant do that. Loads of my mates have used them with no hassle at all.

Personally I use:

Best lid i've ever had, and it come in a very nice bag!

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 07:35 PM »
Nice lid Miles  ;)

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 08:20 PM »
I'd go for a Bell Moto 7.

Well I would if I had the cash.

mightymini

frdavid

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 09:51 PM »
here the one that i bought, very light and cheap lol,  strong enough for bike races  :)

Bren Gunn

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 10:12 PM »
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=6512.0

Great helmet for a bargain price and free delivery :daumenhoch:

Bren

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 10:24 PM »
Sam, buy the best helmet you can afford.  You can never be to safe when it comes to your health.  I bought a No Fear Optimal helmet from ebay for £30.

Here is a picture of one.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 11:22 PM »
It's worth noting that sizes vary massively as well. I'm a medium in my Arai Corsair lid. But if I try a motocross helmet on I'm almost a large +. You really need to try the lid on before you buy and remember get one that's a little on the tight side as it will give once you've worn it a few times and you don't want one that's loose when you slam.

sam hudson

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 12:01 AM »
Thanks guys.....v helpful.
My old school lid is way too small now(if only i still had the JT mouth trap,Oakley googles and haro visor.  :'(
Lots for me to choose from there.i think i will be needing it judging how much tracks have come on in the last 20 years  :idiot2:

Will be deciding soon

:LolLolLolLol:

Coastvl

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 10:20 AM »
I used the same setup as you bitd. I wish I could find my Jofa though. Missing in action I guess. I use a Troy Lee design now. Very cool helmets.

sam hudson

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 03:47 PM »
One last question guys...do you have to have full face to compete nowadays??  :4_17_5:ive always preferred to use an open face with a mouthtrap and although i know that those are rare today i always got on well with that combo(and i fell off all the time).
Thanks for all the advice

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 04:14 PM »
Sam

You do not need a full face, open face with mouth guard is fine.  Here is an extract from the official BCF BMX rule book.

Rule 4.13.2   

Helmets of either full face or open face construction are permitted. It is recommended that open face helmets should be equipped with mouth protectors. Helmets must cover the rider’s ears and provide protection to the back of the skull.  Ventilation holes only are permitted and they must not be large enough for any part of the cycle to penetrate the shell.  The securing straps must be securely tightened

sam hudson

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 04:58 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

Thanks guys

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Helmets for racing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx