gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 07:37 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Most Amazing Memories/Influences
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Most Amazing Memories/Influences  (Read 7664 times)

Guillotte

Most Amazing Memories/Influences
« on: September 08, 2008, 01:21 AM »
Todd Anderson's Freestylin' pic at Camarillo quarter. Was 11 feet out, upside down, and 75% x-ed up. If someone could post that I would be eternally grateful!!! :D

Carlo's 13 foot granny air at the 88' Worlds!

Does anybody remember when Graham Marfleet bomb-dropped off the balcony onto the trick ramp at some UKBFA event? I've never screamed so loud in my life. Just retardedly unbelievable!!! I should have listed this first  :2funny:

Watching CC do a demo around 85. Taught me what smooth was.

My first 540  :LolLolLolLol:

We all have great memories so share them! Waxing nostalgic FTW  :)

Guillotte

Re: Most Amazing Memories/Influences
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:58 AM »
OOOOHHH...the Plywood Hoods vid when Jones unleashed the hitchhiker! Fug me, that was insane. Jones should still be getting Christmas cards from every flatlander.

Watching Jason Webb go from ok flatter to one of the best ever. Damn I wish I could get ahold of where he is now :( I'd stay at his place every so often and we'd go flatting 'til the sun came up. then eat banana fritters and crash.  :LolLolLolLol:

First time I saw Phil Dolan unleash the "Chainsaw" at Leicster Square. Dude just clicked overnight.

The time Andy Brown walked up to me and told me he was going to rip my lungs out of my throat.  :uglystupid2: LOL, still don't understand why he would fly off the handle every so often!

Did I mention the Graham Marfleet bomb-drop? Yes? Well here it is again. It was INSANE!!! >:D

EDIT: Dammit it sucks you guys are always sleeping when I'm on! Time zones FTL
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 02:05 AM by Guillotte »

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 02:57 AM »
The time Andy Brown walked up to me and told me he was going to rip my lungs out of my throat.  uglystupid2 LOL, still don't understand why he would fly off the handle every so often!

Yep....I never understood that either...he had a lot of anger for a small guy. I remember him threaten to beat seven bells out of Jason Ellis at Alfreton, fooking no idea why!

Daz.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

macky

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 03:17 AM »

Carlo's air was just Insane!!

Get yourself a copy of  'Barry on a Grifter' it has Carlo's run on it... and LOADS of comp footage!!  :daumenhoch:

Guillotte

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 04:28 AM »
Carlo was the overseas Hoffman. That kid ruled =)

markatkins

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 09:14 AM »
Sitting on top of Carlos vert ramp watching him blast a 540 over 12ft many years ago!

Hoffman coming to the UK for the worlds in 87!

Bestwicks double whip flip!

Hoffmans first flair in Mansfield!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 01:11 PM by markatkins »

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:42 AM »
Chris Young at Rom doing what we would now call a suicide no hander jump, popping BOTH GRIPS off his bars and getting them both back on before he landed.....   I shit you not.  Unbelievable.

The first time I watched Headfirst.

Standing open mouthed as Jerry Galley rode Leigh on Sea skatepark and shut the whole place down. No one moved, no skaters, no bladers, no one.  Ruler   :4_17_5:

My first 540!

Learning flips  (sort of)  for my 40th birthday.

My last 540!

There's so many, but those listed are the ones that I tell the stories of most often.   :)

evamedia

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 12:14 PM »
Sitting by the clover at Rom, and seeing CC struggling to get his bars through the door into the skatepark. Then riding straight into the pool and getting about 5ft out, still with his backpack on.

Lee Hook (R.I.P) doing about 8ft in the performance, with only a pair of cut down jeans and vans on  :idiot2:

Greg Guillotte doing no hand one footers at our vert ramp in '87, 21 years later he's using the pic I took on this forum!

DJ

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 01:15 PM »
Standing on stage with Pennywise just 2 weeks ago!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 02:06 PM »
Bro Hymn!!!!!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 02:07 PM »
Actually DJ, what about the first KOC that Scott Malyon rode where he jumped that box so high, no one in the stands to could see him....

trill

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 02:45 PM »
jason ellis -nosepick drop-in into the pool at rom.     riding rom with ryan evans,jerry,zak etc early 90's.   hoffman-mansfield,k.o.v.

evamedia

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 03:54 PM »
Actually DJ, what about the first KOC that Scott Malyon rode where he jumped that box so high, no one in the stands to could see him....

Oh yeah, Scott Malyon, pretty much every week

magna13

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 04:10 PM »

Carlo's air was just Insane!!

Get yourself a copy of  'Barry on a Grifter' it has Carlo's run on it... and LOADS of comp footage!!  :daumenhoch:

Serious Air!!... wish i was able to do that lol

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 05:25 PM »
So many, it's difficult to pin down one or two.
How about Lee Reynolds' hyperstretched cancan lookbacks at height over the Alfreton ramps?
Carlo's massive air, which I was there to witness but missed because he was already up in the air when I realised something was going on. That comp was pretty harsh on parts, I inherited a Skyway seat from Mike C. ("I'm sure it's fixable." "Here, you fix it then.") After straightening the rails out I ran it for years.
Meeting McCoy again, and seeming to pick up the conversation almost where we'd left off, with the bad crash at the Tizer Worlds.
Being prodded on the shoulder and asked to get a cup o' tea by Chris Moeller, as the queue was horrendous.
Deep introspective conversations with Chase Gouin, who reminded me of myself in a lot of ways but with a MUCH more 'interesting' life.
Chatting with Hoffman at The Rider Cup, imploring him to do a frame for riders who don't do ramps. Within a couple of years I was riding a Big Daddy.
Evenings at South Bank with Aju and Andy Brown. Hanging out with Phil Dolan and James White at Hastings and Southsea.
Seeing Evolution T-shirts on dozens of riders at Southsea, not Vision Street Wear as had been the case the previous year.
Hearing Mike Canning's reaction when he was told he'd be jumping The Chasmer at Hastings: "What??? That big phucker?"
A long hot Summer at the Chingford Midi-Ramp, desperately trying to get out of the top.

Jeez, that sounds like Rutger Hauer's Blade Runner speech. Sorry, I was on a roll, it's all been so good.

DJ

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 05:39 PM »
Bro Hymn!!!!!

Oh yes Rob, bro hymn it was, pure moment of "I love what BMX does to my life"!!!! check the video I did with my phone
http://www.fatbmx.com/modules/news/article.php'storyid=5393

KoC... there are countless amazing memories from that event for me, anytime gerry turned up, jon taylor's crash off the side of the vert ramp, food fight in pizza hut with McCoy, Wingham, Chaos, the list is endless.... shame really.... ah well

My ever lasting influence is a pic I have of Blyther, skying out the bowl @ Pipeline on a red FST, pure blue Cali skies, clean crisp concrete. The 1st magazine I ever picked up, still my ideal of bmx!

macky

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 06:06 PM »

Also, for me... the first time i ever saw Gerry Galley ride a bfa contest...

think it was St. Albans or Hinkley... just came in, no one knew who he was...

only got like a foot in practice... then in his run, busted out like 12ft airs!!

Blew me away!!

firebird4130

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 08:43 PM »
 some of the best are being there to see zak shaw pull the first ever 360 backflip at crowhurst, being in the wall of death arena while clymer attempted to hack round it with my chain on his bike and s&m pad stuffed in his shoe then his bike got to spend the night at my house! (that means a lot to me) :LolLolLolLol: And when he flipped the chasm!! seeing mirra ride in the flesh for the first time at southsea. Any time watching mike canning ride, so much style.

rosscoe

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 08:51 PM »
a few for me:

watching Hoffman for the first time at the worlds, jammin salmon and real no handers

winning the regional round and qualifying for BMXBeat which led to many many good times

going to my first contest at the Portland leisure centre in Notts (83 maybe???) first time I saw riders from other places (inspirational)

and enjoying the benefits of being one of the older riders on the scene......... >:D   :angel:   >:D   :angel:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 09:10 PM »
Meeting Dave Slade at school who was probably the first person to really get me hooked on this thing we call BMX!

Spending long weekends riding at the Hudson's and just generally hanging out with a cool bunch of riders.

Dave Slade's attempted pop out on to the balcony at Holeshot - funny as fook!

Watching Neil Ruffell ride the keyhole bowl at Southsea.....one word....awesome!

Being at the Hudson's to see Jason Ellis go from 6" airs to 7' airs in the same day. Propably one of the quickest progressions I've ever seen in a rider!

Seeing Dave Young ride for the first time at Washington and just thinking to myself...how fooking smooth is he!

Meeting so many people with one common interest at such a young age and traveling all over the country to ride, having loads of laughs on the way.

All this Gaz F without once mentioning Dominguez  :LolLolLolLol:

I could go on for ever....

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

DJ

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 09:25 PM »
Good call.... I have so much to tell, so many amazing things thanks to BMX.... the guys I work with are always like "yeah, right!"
Its taken me to places I'd never have gone, met people Id never have met & "forced" me to do things I should never have done  :LolLolLolLol: I cant imagine a life without it, popular or unpopular, cool or uncool.....

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 09:40 PM »
Its taken me to places I'd never have gone, met people Id never have met

Spot on DJ.....that's what I love the most about it!

By the time I was 16 I'd traveled from one end of the country and back again a 100 times and met sh1t loads of great people who are still mates today. Most of my mates at 16 hadn't even been out of their own town! Some of them still now don't go anywhere. I've experienced things and met people which all adds up to make me the person I am today!

We had a riot when we were kids, got away with SO much. My Dad put so much trust in me, going down to London at 13 on the train with my mates, just things like that.

It hard to describe what I mean....

Daz.  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:05 PM by Flatcap »

bmxer4ever

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 09:51 PM »
Jeeeeezzzus......where do I start....! :LolLolLolLol:

More later....!

bmxer4ever

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 09:52 PM »
a few for me:

watching Hoffman for the first time at the worlds, jammin salmon and real no handers

winning the regional round and qualifying for BMXBeat which led to many many good times

going to my first contest at the Portland leisure centre in Notts (83 maybe???) first time I saw riders from other places (inspirational)

and enjoying the benefits of being one of the older riders on the scene......... >:D   :angel:   >:D   :angel:

Julie McDonald anyone....??!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 10:34 PM »
watching lee reynolds geting 7 or 8 foot out at meanwhile 2 on some blokes cruiser that had turned up to watch .
watching andy brown face plant meanwhile 2 and for some reason the first time he worn a full face ,god know what would have happened if hadn`t .
lot of other memories but can`t remember now
influences for me agu bubu as rode all the time at southbank ,my good friend m mullen who kept riding even when we gave up and allways pushed to get me back on a bike

no1stuntmaster on instagram

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Most Amazing Memories/Influences

gfxgfx
gfx gfx