gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 09:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Spanish
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Spanish  (Read 1391 times)

erniemadden

Spanish
« on: September 02, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Possibly looking to build a new school ride after many years of getting on a bike...just for the fun (or everyone elses amusement)
Seen a bike, which claims to have a spannish bottom bracket.

Keh  :wtf:

anyone tell me if this is a standard size and if there are any other gotchas I have to look out for when buying a crank?

Cheers...Steve

Sorry can a moderator type chappy move this to the new school section. cheers.

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Spanish
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:40 PM »
Spanish BB was started by Flybikes, I think (hence the "spanish").

Most common BB sizes on new school now are Mid BB and Spanish BB (would say that Mid is slightly more popular though...)

Mid BB is basically a regular US (like old school size) sealed BB, but without the bearing cups, simply ur bearings pressed straight into the BB shell of the frame.
Spanish BB is the same idea, but a smaller bearing outer diameter, kinda in between US and Euro bearing sizes.

So if ur buying a new frame, you need to know if you need a Mid BB or a Spanish BB, and you'll need to know if ur existing 3-piece cranks have a 19mm or 22mm spindle.

Hope this helps,

Brian  :daumenhoch:

erniemadden

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:54 PM »
Thanks Brian,

at the moment I do not have any cranks so i guess the next question is what's the (2nd hand) availability on this type of crank?
Or is that they are not as common and I should steer clear and go for a frame that takes a US or Euro BB?

Cheers...Steve

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 03:04 PM »
Hi Steve,

The cranks are handy enough to get, the most popular cranks would be the likes of Profile racing cranks (19mm spindle, hence 19mm BB) and Primo Powerbites or Hollowbites (22mm spindle, hence 22mm BB).

Both BB types are very easy to get hold of, and cost from about £18 up to £25 depending on where you get them.

Only thing to watch out for is some of the cheaper 3-piece cranks as they come with 20mm spindles, which are a bugg3r to get compatible bearings for, and Profile SS cranks, as these have a 22.2mm spindle, which again is difficult (impossible?) to get in Mid or Spanish BB sizes.

Cranks quite often come up for sale on here, at good prices, so keep an eye out on here as well.

There were a set of profiles with a titanium spindle up for grabs on here a few days back, dunno if they're still there?

Brian  :daumenhoch:

erniemadden

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 03:14 PM »
Hi Brian,

thats spot on mate, thanks for your help  :daumenhoch:
Is this the crank you were talking about?

Cheers...Steve

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=69447.0

erniemadden

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 04:50 PM »
This new school is baffling.

Left Hand Drive cranks, now what the fook is that all about?

Are they specially made? I presume the rear wheel is, but the crank...is it a case of putting it in the other way round or do you have to buy a proper left hand drive crank?

Pros and cons?

Cheers...Steve

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 04:55 PM »
Left hand drive cranks are the same as regular,except the l/h arm has a chainring boss.You will need a left hand drive rear wheel as well.

Guillotte

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 07:59 AM »
Think my Stolen is Spanish...that's the small one, right?

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 08:29 AM »
Yep, spanish is the smaller one, about the size of a euro bb.
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 09:14 AM »
 :) Just had a look on the website for the UK Stolen distro & yours is a Spanish bb.

subversion

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 03:05 PM »
No problems with Spanish here, been running the same one on my Fly frames for years :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Spanish

gfxgfx
gfx gfx