gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 07:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Best rider never to be sponsored?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Best rider never to be sponsored?  (Read 6795 times)

emerbmx

Re: Best rider never to be sponsored?
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 10:31 PM »
Why only 80's? Some great riders from the 90's were never? sponsored including Gerry Galley and Steve Grace.

think Steve Grace had a sponsor from Curtis and that super cool clothing brand Emer  :D

last time I saw him - he had the best fastplants a Paul Smith manager ever had!
anyone see the whereabouts of mr grace these days?
be a great one for the old (mid) fools.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 11:05 PM »
Never to be sponsored eh?

Mmmmmmmmm....let me think.....me! :LolLolLolLol:

Unless you count Gotcha in '88 (no offense Gotcha!)

what about HEATOVENT AND HAYNES MANUALS who sponsored you for that disasterous trip to KOC we all took?

And Gogo and DJ, stop gettin' on Daz's case! He said 'correct me if I'm wrong'!!
And you did!  :police:

shut up.  :LolLolLolLol:

What was disastrous about it?! We only lost a day because of that stupid van throwing a wheel nut, we all had a riot and I nearly won K.o.C.! And you laughed the most in your entire life when I over rotated that 360 to Fugazi in pro Street and bent my wheel in half.....
Seems like good times to me!  :LolLolLolLol:

p.s. - why on earth does Sid and various others think I ripped any one off over that bloody van - you all wanted the cheapest, I found the cheapest, we all split in equally and I drove you all down to Southsea via Leeds for fawks sake!!! If anyone got ripped off , it was me!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

p.p.s. - lets face it - none of those were proper sponsorships, where they? A T shirt does not a sponsor make.
Dales Cycles paid my expenses to go to every comp in '86 & '87 for gawds sake - now that's more what a proper sponsor is!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:41 PM by bmxer4ever »

bmxer4ever

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 11:10 PM »
Hey bmx4ever... did you ride out of that cherry picker drop-in?

Tried two - both at comps - crashed both! This one was in Edinburgh. At least I walked away from it....Unlike the other one at Alfreton. Ouch.
Purely an adrenaline fuelled trick for me on a quarterpipe!

teamsano

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 11:35 PM »
What was disastrous about it?! We only lost a day because of that stupid van throwing a wheel nut,p.s. - why on earth does Sid and various others think I ripped any one off over that bloody van - you all wanted the cheapest, I found the cheapest

yes gary, its was the cheapest, but that van was the worst van in the world, swb transit with no wood panelling covered in plaster and builders rubble with no locks. :LolLolLolLol: broke down and stranded us in leeds for FOUR DAYS, then you invited BMX RAT, CHRIS HARDY and 2 of his skater friends to join us without consulting anyone else in the van (taking the total to 11 folk and 9 bikes) good times looking back, but i wouldnt go thru with it again. haha

And you laughed the most in your entire life when I over rotated that 360 to Fugazi in pro Street and bent my wheel in half.....

you're not wrong there. :4_17_5:

Lazarou

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 12:52 PM »
gerry rode for gt, ceramic rabbit and bicycle union.

dave fram rode for ammaco, and later haro and vision street wear.

get a clue.

When i mentioned Steve and Gerry i meant full factory bells and whistles sponsorships (which they were both more than worthy of), when you think of certain riders you automatically associate them with a brand and i couldn't link either of them to a company or sponsorship of any great length of time. I know Gerry was helped out a lot by companies such as King, T1, Union etc. and had much bigger offers but i couldn't think of anything substantial for Steve until Emer reminded me of his (brief?) stint on Curtis (and Emer clothing!).

I still think they didn't get the 'factory ride' they deserved. But what do i know i'm a clueless cnut apparently.

teamsano

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 02:15 PM »
gerry rode for gt. how many times do i have to say it?

what do you associate with a 'bells and whistles' sponsorship? a private jet? no-one had such a thing in the 90s.

DR VINOAH

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 04:53 PM »
im with the 2 daves & SBD

marco lara  :coolsmiley:

macky

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 05:14 PM »

I didn't know Steve Laidlaw was never sponsored??

DJ

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 05:58 PM »
Actually, Im pretty sure Dave Frame didnt ride for Ammaco.... However, I do recall an Ammaco ad with a similar looking guy called Dave French  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 06:00 PM »
dave dave.

he rocked.

bsdforever

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 10:48 PM »
Dave France actually

sean

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 10:20 AM »

[/quote]

Tried two - both at comps - crashed both! This one was in Edinburgh. At least I walked away from it....Unlike the other one at Alfreton. Ouch.
Purely an adrenaline fuelled trick for me on a quarterpipe!
[/quote]

I tried it a few times and at one comp once but never rode out of it from the 1/4. scared the hell out of me that trick did

bmxer4ever

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 12:48 PM »

what about HEATOVENT AND HAYNES MANUALS who sponsored you  for that disasterous trip to KOC we all took?

Goags - HOW do you remember this stuff??!! I'd forgotten about that 'til you said it! Mr Memory man! :LolLolLolLol:

bmxer4ever

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 01:18 PM »
What was disastrous about it?! We only lost a day because of that stupid van throwing a wheel nut,p.s. - why on earth does Sid and various others think I ripped any one off over that bloody van - you all wanted the cheapest, I found the cheapest

yes gary, its was the cheapest, but that van was the worst van in the world, swb transit with no wood panelling covered in plaster and builders rubble with no locks. :LolLolLolLol: broke down and stranded us in leeds for FOUR DAYS, then you invited BMX RAT, CHRIS HARDY and 2 of his skater friends to join us without consulting anyone else in the van (taking the total to 11 folk and 9 bikes) good times looking back, but i wouldnt go thru with it again. haha

And you laughed the most in your entire life when I over rotated that 360 to Fugazi in pro Street and bent my wheel in half.....

you're not wrong there. :4_17_5:

Again - HOW do you remember all this??!!
It can't have been four days, surely - we weren't away for that long!
Jeez - I don't remember inviting anyone along with us! Sorry dude! :LolLolLolLol:
I remember being at Chris's house and cooking a big dinner for everyone one night.
I remember having to sort out the van and get it repaired and back on the road - the cowboy that rented it to us didn't have a credit card or anything to pay for it over the phone - nightmare!
Everything else is pretty much a blank!
Did we ride Wakefield on that trip?
And who was BMX RAT?

bmxer4ever

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 01:44 PM »

I'm sure he was sponsored by Ammaco .......along with that Dave France guy. :LolLolLolLol:

macky

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2008, 03:32 PM »

I'm sure he was sponsored by Ammaco .......along with that Dave France guy. :LolLolLolLol:

He should have easily been picked up by somebody...  he was an Amazing rider!!

bmxer4ever

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2008, 04:03 PM »

lodge

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Steve Laidlaw and Dave Frame did ride for ammaco for a short period here's some pics.
Rocket air is steve, bar ride is dave, wheelstand shot left to right tony puddifer, steve laidlaw and myself.

macky

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Think this is Steve Laidlaw too....... not too sure of the year.... 86 - 87 maybe??

on a firebird too!!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:50 PM by DaveMc. »

teamsano

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2008, 12:34 PM »
And who was BMX RAT?

gary its not my memory is good, yours must be melted! :LolLolLolLol:

'bmx rat, chris hardy'
dont you remember chardy borrowed almost all of andy burke's money for the trip off him , promising to pay it back the next day then never, leaving andy(i'm sure andy was only working part time at this point and had saved really hard to have a trip away and have a good time) with no cash for the majority of his trip, then failing to pay it back by the end of the week.
thats why chardy got left in southsea and andy took his bike in lieu of payment.

:LolLolLolLol:but thats between chardy and andy.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2008, 01:09 PM »
And who was BMX RAT?

gary its not my memory is good, yours must be melted! :LolLolLolLol:

'bmx rat, chris hardy'
dont you remember chardy borrowed almost all of andy burke's money for the trip off him , promising to pay it back the next day then never, leaving andy(i'm sure andy was only working part time at this point and had saved really hard to have a trip away and have a good time) with no cash for the majority of his trip, then failing to pay it back by the end of the week.
thats why chardy got left in southsea and andy took his bike in lieu of payment.

:LolLolLolLol:but thats between chardy and andy.

Aaaahh.... Andy was talking about this when I met him, Timmins (and his girl), Sid and Rab a few weeks ago. I think I'd been concentrating so hard on my riding and worrying on how I was gonna do - (I'd decided to really try and win K.o.C. earlier that year) - that a lot of the things that happened on that trip have been lost to me. I tend to get it mixed up with the following years K.o.C. too.
'94 and '95 are a few years ago now after all!

rosscoe

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2008, 11:47 AM »
Julie MacDonald in the background of one of those photies.......now that brings back memories    :smitten:   :smitten:

SaMAlex

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2008, 12:53 PM »
Gerry was on the GT team with Ian Morris, Mike Canning and Zack (I think), with stu as the manager. It was a strange setup and I think Gerry didnt want to do it but got won over cos he really needed some cranks (he got given a top end bike).

He had a few parts from S&M, he was riding a HAF when he came back from the US in the 90s, he might have been riding it when he was doing the Hoffman shows.

For a while RAGGY were trying to give him clothes. They'd send him a box of stuff and he'd think about it for a week or so and send them back. RAGGY kept saying that they were just a gift, nothing expected back but he wouldnt take them. That box of clothes went back and forth so many times!

Having said all that, I think Id still agree with Laz, that Gerry never had the sponsor he diserved. He should/could have had the lot!

bmxer4ever

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 06:26 PM »
Julie MacDonald in the background of one of those photies.......now that brings back memories    :smitten:   :smitten:

rosscoe

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 07:06 PM »
wow.....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Best rider never to be sponsored?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx