gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 07:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Our collections are worthless!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Our collections are worthless!!!  (Read 1887 times)

munners

Our collections are worthless!!!
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:57 AM »
I have  just been speaking to Pete (Quad). Yesterday saw some great bikes being offered on here. None have sold. I remember Aide's JMC didnt go and neither did JT's Changaa few weeks back. These were well over the 1.5k mark bikes.

Either we, collectively in the UK have no money or the bubble in BMX has well and truely burst.  :-\

I put a 2K price tag on my Haro due to rareity of the parts, condition and also by considering what i would spend if i didnt have one and the time it would take to source the parts.

I cannot believe that Petes Quad didnt sell when frame and forks go for an alledged 1k plus! I understand why mine hasnt sold  as it is a big outlay in todays climate.

If you ask me the prices on certain bikes and parts have seriously hit a wall. They are only worth what someone wants to pay and at the moment there is knowone who wants too!

I reckon that all of us that have paid top prices in the past have done our bollox! :LolLolLolLol:

JT71

Re: Our collections are worthless!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:01 AM »
Del had two great bikes for sale, they went but he was only asking £300 each, I thought they were both cheap as chips.

munners

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:07 AM »
Sorry i didnt realise Del's sold! Thats Pete for ya! Mis-informed again! :LolLolLolLol:

But again.......they sold as the price was correct for todays market. :daumenhoch:

antiquebmx

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:08 AM »
If its worthless I'll take em   :2funny:

seriously get them on ebay,  its a global market  :daumenhoch:

Petes quad and your Haro are both tempting.  You have only just offered for sale really.

They will go to US guaranteed if you put em on ebay, think US market is starting to come back

good luck gents :)

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:34 AM »
big bucks for full bikes doesn't usually cut the mustard as its sourcing the parts n creating your own build that most are interested in, ya get alot more satisfaction that way and its like buying in instalments. the bikes that have been for sale are awesome but most would prefer to build a bike like that than buy a bike like that (if that makes sense) splitting builds is the only way to get decent money IMO, but to some i realise that this can be like putting your kids up for adoption then having to sell their organs off instead :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 08:35 AM »
I don't think the market is fooked at all, its just that many of us on here ain't got the readies to fork out for a complete build as we're already doing several ourselves (i'm doing 4 at the mo....  ??? ), and your prices Nick weren't over inflated or anything, it may just be that radsters don't have the cash whereas to a global market i.e. gaybay, they will do. I'm certain they will sell on there, especially the Gen 1 and the Quad, no doubt about that at all!  ;)

steve Beech TA

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 08:39 AM »

I have just seen this on the gay bay, i think global market is correct although there have been a few things that aint sold, but what you think to this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360073745070&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023

i must be honest if i had the cash i would be struggling not to hit the button,

steve Beech TA

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 08:52 AM »

I concur with the Orgasm one this one i could not put it better myself, its fcuking ace to see these builds and i take my hat of to you all it gives me something to strive for, but to be honest i can't imagine ever owning some of what i see, as i could not afford or justify the cash to build it not at the mo. But you never know ::). I have spent silly money building what i have got at the mo and i am a student, when i am working the addictiveness will prob take over :daumenhoch:

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 08:53 AM »
I'm the same as Daz
For me, I dont think I'd ever pay that sort of money for a bike ready built...  I enjoy sourcing and putting the bikes together myself... yes I will end up paying the same amount or most probably a lot more.

I sold those 2 bikes for what I thought they would sell for not for what they were worth to me.. they're not exactly high end like some of the bikes in the for sale section plus I'm not a greedy man! >:D

Offline Bananaman

• BMX Nerd
  • Le Mans Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 09:20 AM »
I understand the purpose of the thread but i have to say that the +£1000 market is slim, it took Max Barron ages to sell his Leary on ebay and I have to agree with the Orgasm it will shift in bits.......on a personal note I don't care that much if they are worthless (and I know they are not completely worthless) as I enjoy em as bikes not money pots :daumenhoch:

Thank christ you aint doin vintage cars or summat really expensive :LolLolLolLol:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 09:28 AM »
I don't care that much if they are worthless (and I know they are not completely worthless) as I enjoy em as bikes not money pots :daumenhoch:

:daumenhoch: thats my mentality totally, the buzz from the bikes is priceless :daumenhoch:

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 09:31 AM »
its just tough times at the moment in this sh*tty country, i was very tempted to buy Petes quad but i would have to sell
other bikes to pay for it  :(

Offline Nicfred

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 10:23 AM »
i think its just about finding the right person,there is always someone who WILL pay the price for the right parts(i know i would)if i want it i will buy it  :idiot2:
as said above you have only just put it for sale and only on here,if it was to go on the  :2gunsfiring_v1:  :2gunsfiring_v1: ebay,it WOULD sell
i am not worried about my quad,i look at it like this,the longer i have it the more it WILL be worth,if i was NEEDING to get rid quick,then yes maybe i would pannick
at the moment,but as i am not desperate then i know it will sell remember you can not buy them anymore and they are VERY RARE
people WILL always want them  :daumenhoch: im also not looking to make any money on my bikes,i just WANT them cos they are cool
how cool is this bike below  :daumenhoch:

ive got most of the same parts on mine,but im NOW thinking black is a cool colour(mines white and blue)
but came up black when i took the picture on my phone and used negative

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 10:48 AM »
One word Nick , PARANOID !  :LolLolLolLol:

munners

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 11:05 AM »
In fairness its not really about the money with this topic.

I would still have had a collection of bikes even if prices were like they were 3-4 years ago. In fact i would have had more!! I didnt get into this hobby to make a profit.

Like every collectable .....it is only worth what someone wants to pay and that is the point i am trying to make.

With the benefit of hindsight I would have liked to have run an auction on here to find its real worth in todays market with real collectors bidding on a real site. I hate ebay.

Looks like im gonna keep my bike now. Loads of requests to split but i cant be bothered.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 11:13 AM »

the only reason they didnt sell cos they was shit builds  :D

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 11:20 AM »

yeh your right there Pete i would have only kept your F&F's and skip the rest at the local tip Fookin Worthless  :LolLolLolLol:

i'll give you £150 instead  ;D ;D

oh and don't get me started about Nicks worthless Haro

Offline Nicfred

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 11:26 AM »

at last the truth has come out  :LolLolLolLol:  :LolLolLolLol: complete pile of sugar lumps  :D :D   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 11:29 AM »
As much as I love Petes Quad (fooking hate Pete though  ;) ;D ) I wouldn't have any pleasure in owning it.  My enjoyment of a bike is sourcing the parts, re-finishing them if needed, lacing the wheels and building the bike up for the 1st time and hoping that my hard work in sourcing the parts and colours have worked.

When I built my Slingshot up and somehow managed to source the Slingshot bars I had more of a buzz than if I would have bought a £1.5k bike.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 01:11 PM »
As much as I love Petes Quad (fooking hate Pete though  ;) ;D ) I wouldn't have any pleasure in owning it.  My enjoyment of a bike is sourcing the parts, re-finishing them if needed, lacing the wheels and building the bike up for the 1st time and hoping that my hard work in sourcing the parts and colours have worked.

When I built my Slingshot up and somehow managed to source the Slingshot bars I had more of a buzz than if I would have bought a £1.5k bike.

talking of wheel building my old pal  ;)

sweetbeats

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 01:39 PM »
Cool Thread,

My feeling is that it is a reflection of the climate in the UK right now mixed with uncertainty of wether it is going to get worse...i think it will.
The bikes that have been on here recently the quad,the VDC and the gen1 are class and think the price is also a reflection on the work that goes into the project
from matching the parts to actually finding and assembling them which is an art in my eyes.

I was so tempted with your gen1 but in a couple of months have bought a full NOS TA and gen2 frameset off Dom yesterday and to spend another 2k on the gen1 then add that to the parts I need for the gen2(approx £7-800)I just though hold fire and focus on a build (my 1st) or I could be selling big issues by xmas.

BIG ISSUE !! :D

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 02:06 PM »
Some stuff is still going for TOP Dollar, these are 1/2" too !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200246729535&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

I don't think the Bubble has burst just yet, it's a bad time of year,...ie: MK Has just finished, People are paying for/Paid for their Holidays, and Christmas is looming near, plus we are coming out a bad economic crisis (I think the country's credit crunch issues will improve over the next year, Oil prices have reduced, rumours are now strong that ave price will move down to $100-$110 a barrel in 09, so that will start to impact on the economy and how much disposable income you have), and it's all about disposable income at the end of the day for most of us, personally I can afford to keep the bikes I have at the moment, but I will now only sell to buy, I'm not tying up any more cash - I want to get a new car anyway soon, and we want a decent foreign holiday next year.

Back to the main topic, the prices peak and fall during the year, but I think they will still increase Y-O-Y, now's a good time to buy if you have the spare cash. Personally I love Pete's Quad, even though someone said he's built it like 'a GT' !! LOL !! No cash to spend though...., as is Christmas - I bought a pair of mint Unstamped LG's just before the end of last year for £65 ! You don't see that often....

Yeah, I also agree with the others, building the bike is the buzz, although buying a complete bike can save money by parting it out and keeping the best bits etc...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:23 PM by monkeybiscuits! »
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 02:59 PM »
I agree with you Matt, I do think things are on the up overall, and 2009 should kick start this buying/selling lark again as everyone will be planning for MK 09!  :D

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 03:19 PM »
split and they will sell.

i'd have no problem buying a full bike at whatever price, if i wanted it, but most like to build there own.

i do.

i dont understand why no one bought my VDC though, as obviously its the best one ever done, miles better than that other shit in the museum.

fook it...

i'm so fooking great it doesnt matter :D

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 03:22 PM »
split and they will sell.

i'd have no problem buying a full bike at whatever price, if i wanted it, but most like to build there own.

i do.

i dont understand why no one bought my VDC though, as obviously its the best one ever done, miles better than that other shit in the museum.

fook it...

i'm so fooking great it doesnt matter :D

:LolLolLolLol:....dont do drugs kids, otherwise you end up like jt

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Our collections are worthless!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx