gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975763 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 06:14 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Help Needed Fitting Knight Kreation Stem to 1 1/8 Landing Gears
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help Needed Fitting Knight Kreation Stem to 1 1/8 Landing Gears  (Read 473 times)

Fiolas Lovechild

H guys just wondering just purchased a new Knight Kreation stem Retro tuff neck  :smitten: to fit on my Retro Ripper cant get the stem onto the forks the forks are 1 1/8th and thats what size the stem says it fits, are you supposed to use a press or what.......??????? if too tight surely you'll never get it off...????

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Help Needed Fitting Knight Kreation Stem to 1 1/8 Landing Gears
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 08:24 AM »
piccies mate?  as it should just slip over the top (might be tight but should go over)

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:07 AM »
I've not had a knight stem before, but I've had the same problem with a profile stem and it's a bugger to get it on without some superficial damage to the stem - a copper/hide mallet would help  :daumenhoch:

welsh denny

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 03:23 PM »
the butcher method. remove the allen key bolts, stick a large screwdriver in the slot and wedgey it open more. then whack it on with a rubber mallet.

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 03:43 PM »
If the tapped holes for the clamping portion come right through the alloy, remove the clamping bolts and thread one of them back in from the opposite end, against a 10pence piece or something that's slid into the slot in the back of the stem to slowly (gently) wedge the stem open a bit before gently whacking it down onto the fork steerer with a fooking big hammer ;)

Brian  :daumenhoch:

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 03:47 PM »
If the tapped holes for the clamping portion come right through the alloy, remove the clamping bolts and thread one of them back in from the opposite end, against a 10pence piece or something that's slid into the slot in the back of the stem to slowly (gently) wedge the stem open a bit before gently whacking it down onto the fork steerer with a fooking big hammer ;)

Brian  :daumenhoch:

i've used this method too on my azusa stem

& its much less carnage  :daumenhoch:
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

thecrooch

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:06 PM »
should slide on no probs but if it obv. aint then try the above, once on remember to tighten the preload top cap on the headset before you tighten the stem.  Presuming you have the star nut fitted?

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 04:24 PM »
If in doubt, give it a clout :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 04:48 PM »
Landing Gear forks can come up a bit big too so if the stem is spot on size wise its gonna be a squeeze, use the reverse bolt method  :daumenhoch:

:) DINGO :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Help Needed Fitting Knight Kreation Stem to 1 1/8 Landing Gears

gfxgfx
gfx gfx