gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 06:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  euro bb help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: euro bb help  (Read 880 times)

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
euro bb help
« on: July 24, 2008, 08:28 PM »
i've fitted some primo cranks to a euro bb,but when i tighten the nuts into the spindle

it tightens up onto the bearings and after a few pedal strokes the cranks seize up

if i loosen the nuts in the axle slightly it frees the cranks,but then they're only finger tight and evenually they undo completely and drop out
any ideas how to tighten up the crank arms without seizing the bearings?

i've only really used isis bb's in mountain bikes so this is all new to me

priv

priv

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: euro bb help
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 08:34 PM »
Have you got a spacer tube in there  (in the middle of the bearings with the spindle running through it) ?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:36 PM by Dark Diggler »
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:48 PM »
no mate,is it like a tube about 2-3 in long?

Trev

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 11:15 PM »
no mate,is it like a tube about 2-3 in long?

like this

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:22 PM »
thanks you two,i'll have a root about to see if i've got one

would one of those stop it then?

thecrooch

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:43 PM »
yep it sits between the bearings so when you tighten the bolts you dont crush the bearings which is what you were doing....

it needs to be measured correctly so that it sits snug between the bearings

dont worry its a common problem/mistake....

thecrooch

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:44 PM »
oh priv i have a couple spare if you need one

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:47 PM »
oh priv i have a couple spare if you need one

thanks mate,i'll have a look tomorrow to see if i've got one,if not i'll take you up on the offer :4_17_5:

priv

thecrooch

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 09:38 AM »
no worries will be at MK will have one in the tool box or can post if you need it sooner

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 10:51 AM »
i've put my sealed US BB into the Hyper and in my rush i forgot to put in the spacer  :(

will it do the same thing when i pedal?  or should it be okay.........the whole thing seems fine but i haven't pedaled yet as i need the spacer for the chainwheel.   :-\

thecrooch

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 10:54 AM »
i've put my sealed US BB into the Hyper and in my rush i forgot to put in the spacer  :(

will it do the same thing when i pedal?  or should it be okay.........the whole thing seems fine but i haven't pedaled yet as i need the spacer for the chainwheel.   :-\

take it out and do it properly.... you'll only regret it otherwise.... trust me im a doctor!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 10:56 AM »
yeah i know you're right............just a right ball ache!  the minute i hit it into the frame i though FOOK!   :shocked:

thecrooch

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 11:28 AM »
yeah i know you're right............just a right ball ache!  the minute i hit it into the frame i though FOOK!   :shocked:

we've all been there before, when i built my retro quad earlier this year the two i got with my profiles were too short so had to get a mate to machine me one to the right length!  pain in the ass...   quic tap with a socket extension and itll pop out again... you can do it in your lunch break  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 11:40 AM »
Just done it mate!  you should see the look on the guys faces who i share my office with  :2funny: :2funny:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 11:44 AM »
 :) You can sometimes get away without a tube spacer in a US bb,but not a euro,especially with a 22mm spindle as the bearings are miniscule! 

thecrooch

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Just done it mate!  you should see the look on the guys faces who i share my office with  :2funny: :2funny:

had a feeling you might - i wasnt really joking.... ill pop the top hat washer in the post tomorrow - would it be easier to send to your office?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 02:17 PM »
no mate, it'll get lost in the post at work......home is fine and dandy mate  :daumenhoch:

thecrooch

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 02:33 PM »
okeydokey

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 07:04 PM »
no worries will be at MK will have one in the tool box or can post if you need it sooner

i'd like to take you up on that please,i'll see you at MK about it :daumenhoch: maybe do a deal on some coca cola or beer?

priv

thecrooch

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 07:30 PM »

i'd like to take you up on that please,i'll see you at MK about it :daumenhoch: maybe do a deal on some coca cola or beer?

priv

no worries, its in the tool box - look out for a electric blue FA limo and im the lump on top of it...

DY85262

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 08:32 AM »
Just sharing a trick with you. You know the spacers you use on your flights on the outside. Well if your tube spacer is too small on the inside you can use the correct spacer to make it the right width. The internal tube prevents the lateral presure on the bearings inner races. If you imagine the outer race is fixed in position by the cup in the BB shell when you tighten the spindle you are trying to push the inner races of the bearings sideways and inwards. That is what the tube is for to prevent sideways movement on the inner races. Ooohh sorry got a little carried away. Hope my tip may help some of you guys. Cheers :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  euro bb help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx