gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 01:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  stolen hoffman big daddy returns after 11 years! found in a pawn shop!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: stolen hoffman big daddy returns after 11 years! found in a pawn shop!  (Read 1569 times)

condor96

ok this is the story, im gonna copy and paste the whole thing on how it happen, im so happy i got it back as ive missed it for a long time and never thought id see it again. its so weird, i thought me knowing of the condor ff i just got and riding it many years ago and it ended up in my hands was enough but now i got my big daddy back is sssooooooo weird. anyways heres the story and pics.........
 on bmxmuseum.com i noticed a 95 bigdaddy showed up(and it was just like the one i used to have so i was like cool) and this is what it said,

Big Daddy Super Find!

I popped in on a pawn shop that usually doesn't have crap.... and there it was, amidst a herd of Walgooses and mountain bikes. The guy who unlocked the anti theft chain around the bike even suggested that I go for the walgoose next to it because it was a better bike.
I'm soo stoked!

i commented,
"i wish i had ur luck!  how much u get that gem 4? do they have anymore lol?"

well anyways a few days roll by and i get an pm from bogusfile over there sayin,
"Got the big daddy frame and fork, wheels, mongoose DMC bars, and some other goodies for 30$. Best find I've made so far. Nice Condors. I rode a 94 condor for years and loved it."

a few more days go by and i get another pm,
bogusfile wrote:
I won't actually post it on the for sale forum until tomorrow, but I thought I'd give you dib dobs if your interested seeing as how you live relatively close and seem to have a thing for Hoffmans. $150 for the frame and fork, and I'll throw in 4 brand new day smith pegs. I wish I didn't tell you how much I paid for it now haha. Give me a call if your interested. 555-555-5555, ask for Barry.

i replyed back
"id love to but i just dont have that much extra cash right now. ive bought a complete condor and a condor frame and fork already this month lol and yes im addicted to hoffmans lol. thanks for giving me dib dobs"

i called at the same time asking about it,and he said he would hold it for me till i get the cash together(thank you!)
 he wrote back,
"No sweat man. If I weren't kind of counting on the money for this bike to get my daily ride up and running I'd float you a better deal... but buying and selling stuff is the only way I can keep things copasetic with the family.

i wrote,
"ok some of my stuff sold so i have enough (just barely) so send me your paypal address and ill send. thanks"
payment sent"
he wrote
"Awesome man.. I'm glad it worked out this way. Float me whatever you can for shipping, unless you want to pick it up or meet half way of something. I'm selling the EP frame and forks if you know anyone who might be interested. Haven't posted it anywhere though. I think I'm just going to stick to restoring the 94 Big Daddy."

cool so it got here and i pulled it out the box and looked at it,and little things were weird,stuff i remember,the same chrome 95 with purple decals and no serial,hmmmm, the cheap 990s hmmmmm,a spot right behind the seat post stay the chrome was hazed just like mine was,hmmmm, the decals on mine were put on kinda sideways just like this one,hmmmm, then i pulled the forks out the frame and i looked at where the bearing race is suppost to go and it was chewed up just like mine was, it was at that moment i knew this was mine that was stolen,and a big smile got on my face!

i pmed bogusfile back,
"you know what? i think this used to be mine. you said you found it in a pawn shop? with dmc bars? near orlando?did it have some cheaper mongoose parts on it circa 96? i used to have 2 big daddys. my early black se made with the square wishbone was taken and sold by people i knew. i got the parts back but never the ff. this was right b4 i got my orange condor new. the only other bike i had at the time was a 95 mongoose that my dad had bought me,but it recieved a hard life. i wanted to build it up with dmc parts(im also a big dmc fan) so i put dmc bars on an such on. then i got my condor ff. took a bunch of parts off my mongoose and put on the condor so i could ride it. built up the condor,put super fork an stem and love handles on it and bought a beat up black 95 taj frame. took the og condor forks and put them with the taj. didnt have the taj long,never built it. well one day at stone edge there was someone riding this big daddy. and i wanted another. so i asked if its for sale. he said just the ff. so i said give me till next week(the next saturday,next time i was goin to the skatepark) and i should have the money. i sold the taj ff so i had the money to get the big daddy.(this was all around late 96) well i bought it and put all my mongoose parts on it so i could ride it. street rode,some flat, went to stonedge in daytona with it a few times. me and if my buddies were with me would take a break at some point and ride down to the schwinn shop like 2 miles south from stone edge. wasnt the best part of town,so wed bring lockes and cables. well we went inside with 5 bikes locked on the side of the place to a street sign. from inside the shop the door was on the corner,and that was really the only way to look in or out. well we all come out and my big daddy and a freinds standard shorty which were cabled to each other and the post were gone. stolen. all that was left was a bolt cutter cut cable and the last memory i had of it. i remember when i got it the part of the fork where the bottom bearing cup sits was mess up exactly like this. the guy i got it from was a right  side grinder which would explain the grind marks only on that side. every little detail i remember is exactly like mine, from the nicks and scratches to other stuff. this had to of been mine. this is so weird. first i got the condor ff that i rode a few times when new, (from central florida)  and now i beleive i have one of my big daddys that got stolen.  this is awesome. i guarrante it was stolen from me, rode around for a bit, sat around for a few years and dude was needing money quick and sold it to the pawn shop,that is bout 20miles from where it was stolen(who the hell would take a big daddy to a pawn shop?,dude probably got ten bucks for it). ha. tell me what it had on it when u got it."

he wrote back,
"What a wild coincidence haha. It did have some pretty odd parts on it. Had the DMC bars, some weird top loaded stem with 6 allen bolts, a lean back seat post with a GT padded seat, some generic sealed 48 spoke wheels and Haro pegs with the allen bolt that keeps them from spinning. Any of this ring a bell? I wonder if the pawn shop still has the records of who sold it to them?
I noticed that the bearing race was a little chewed up, but I figured it was from the headset being loose(which it was when I bought it). The bottom headset bearing cup had a few cracks on them from being loose as well.
                           Keep me posted!"

i replied,
holy shit! this IS my bike! the dmc bars,the mongoose 6 bolt stem and generic 48s off my villian, laid back seat post and seat off my brothers dyno! i had cracked one headset cup within a week but it was gone in a week to lol this is so crazy

he wrote,
Weird haha. I guess whoever stole it had no Idea what it was worth haha. He probably sold it to the pawnshop for 10$. Well I'm glad it's back in its original owners hands.
 i replied,
yeh thats what i was thinkin. probably rode it for awhile,sat around,needed a few bucks,took it to the pawn shop,had no idea what it was or worth. i thought id never see this bike again.ever. i was so pisst.been 10 years.but i still had my condor. when i bought from you, i was like "sweet,just like the one i had" but i didnt expect it be it when i opened the box. i looked at it, and things i remember about it were exactly the same,then looked at the bearing spot on the forks and i knew instantly that this was it. and you found it with all those parts, i still have a similar set of haro fusion pegs on my 96 that i got a bit before the big daddy disappered. really beat up since but i also put haro pegs on my villian which tranfered over to the big daddy. thank you so much for finding it! lol and thanks for givin me dibbs!

he replied,
"i guess it was meant to be. Reunited once again haha. Never let her leave your sight again!"

anyways here are the pics after my whole story(i polished and cleaned it a bit) im so happy i got it back!!!!!!!!!!!

the grind marks that got me thinking....

the decals being way off center...

and the fork damage that instantly made me know this was MINE.......

my superpros are goin on it (and some vmonsters on these)

show me your big daddys! i wanna see and get ideas! :daumenhoch: :smitten:

oh and i put some random mid school video links in the video section,some cool stuff....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:02 AM by condor96 »

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
WOW  :shocked:

pretty cool you got your old ride back after all that time  :daumenhoch:
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

condor96

yeh i almost still cant believe it! lol i never thought id see it again but it found its way back to me somehow ;D

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
 :LolLolLolLol:

its a homing condor  :D
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

condor96

:LolLolLolLol:
whats funny is all 5 of my hoffmans ive been associated with in one way or another in the past and they all come back to me,lol, sometimes they just take there sweet ass time, but its at least back, now im just waiting for my old taj to just fall from the sky.........

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
amazing story ,bet you are well pleased to get it back  :smitten:
are you going to build it up the same as it was before it got stolen, or is it going to be specked out with hoffman stuff?

condor96

yeh im stoked i got it back!  but nah im not gonna put the same parts that were on it, they were kinda junk mongoose parts i put on it when i first got it just so i could ride it round lol,but it was gone within a week of me putting it together. gonna put my old superpros on it(with gumwall v monsters), maybe some love handles or graveyard bars or peregrines q bars etc, pretty much how i would have built it bitd

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
result   :daumenhoch:  i do love the big daddy

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
How weird is that to get your own bike back ! Great story fella  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  stolen hoffman big daddy returns after 11 years! found in a pawn shop!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx