gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stem Help?!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stem Help?!  (Read 478 times)

ATL

Stem Help?!
« on: July 22, 2008, 11:34 AM »
Ok so how do i put it in and make sure its tight so i dont kill myself when riding this thing? (iv never done this before ever sorry for my ignorance!)

Do i have to hammer it in or what?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Stem Help?!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 11:38 AM »
hi ya mate

is it an old school style stem with a shaft that goes down the head tube?  or a new school style stem that clamps round the fork top?

:daumenhoch:

an old style stem goes down the head tube and you tighten a bolt at the top of the stem (can be a nut or an allen key bolt) this tightens up a wedge at the bottom with wedges against the inside of the head tube and keeps it tight.

the new school type is a little diferent, you have to have the correct spacers underneath the stem to make sure the top of the foks is about 5mm underneath the stem, then you have a top cap that screws into the top of the forks and clamps the stem and headset down so it has no play, then tighten up the allen key bolts on the stem to clamp it to the forks

:daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:42 AM by pickle »

ATL

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Its an old school one with the bit that goes down the tube and has an angle on it that fits into the top part of the stem/clamp.

I remember when i took the old one out that it was just kind of loose.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:45 AM »
easy then mate, give the shaft a good clean, then lightly grease it so it doesn't stick as much over time.......put the shaft in the head tube and put it down as far as it'll go........then tighten up the nut at the top......this should tighten the wedge inside and make the whole stem tight in the head tube  :daumenhoch:

ATL

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:49 AM »
Awesome il give it a go later, most of the last parts came today :D nearly finished!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:52 AM »
cool!  what are you building and pictures are always good mate  :daumenhoch:

ATL

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 06:35 PM »
Im building a white Falcon Prostyler, dont wanna post pics of it just yeat as its so close to being finished it would be a waste.

But heres a pic of it when i started:

Bought it as a cheap project.........pah! £400 later and im still going lol

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stem Help?!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx