gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 08:34 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Race Shoes for the old.....ish ones
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Race Shoes for the old.....ish ones  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
Race Shoes for the old.....ish ones
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:30 PM »
I'm looking to get some decent shoes for racing and wondered what other people could recommend. I'm going to have a bash at the 30-39 cruiser class and as I'm pushing 16 stone I don't think Vans Slippers are the way forward !!!!!

as anyone used shimano DX's ?

:daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

magna13

Re: Race Shoes for the old.....ish ones
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Well i use Vans RAD Syndicates for racing competition and they seem to do me right for grip comfort etc........ the thing i do get worried about is that they dont seem to have any support around the ankle area which does put confidence down a tad...  :( :(

magna13

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:13 PM »
i use new lace up vans cant beat em

dialledbikes

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 04:58 PM »
I always like to have a pair of Vans Sk8-Hi in my collection, but the five-tens that Keith Wilson had on at MK looked good for racing in.

sonic-1

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 05:03 PM »
why not try some orchid shoes very comfy lots of paddin or could try some newer style vans not the slip ons

thecrooch

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 05:06 PM »
the 5 10's are basically a downhill MTB shoe, and incredibly grippy but i still feel for the SK8 Hi Tops...  Direct - Extreme always have a few pairs on discount, other wise kates skates are probably best

DR VINOAH

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 05:56 PM »
vans are ok but useless when racing in wet conditions

i prefer stan smiths as you can get a good bite down onto the pedal

rudhallrascal

thecrooch

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 07:26 PM »
they arent anywhere near as bad in the flesh.... and you cant go wrong with a tenner!

moley

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 07:42 PM »
I have a pair of those Krazy check Vans Hi tops.

I fooked my foot up at Creation with them.

Not the shoes fault though.

But they offered no protection if you go over on your toes because they are too flexible (its like wearing pumps)

After being out of action for a couple of months I want something with a stiffer sole so I can't damage my toe again.

I am currently using my 5 Tens mtb shoes but although they as grippy as Spiderman snot, they are too bulky and it makes it hard to position my feet on the pedals.

If anyone knows of a good shoe that isn't too bulky but has a stiff innersole to reduce any flexibility in the sole, then I'd like to know!!

If you do go for the Hi top Krazy check vans then you wont be disappointed.   I liked 'em a lot and they are dirt cheap.

Its just that with my dodgy toe I need something that will reduce the movement of my toe!!!

wussy67

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 09:33 PM »
Gotta be DC shoes or NIKE 6.0 both got mint grip :daumenhoch:

se

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Just run a pair of Hutch beartraps, you could race in tassled loafers and still stick to the pedals  :smitten:

dialledbikes

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 10:22 PM »
I am currently using my 5 Tens mtb shoes but although they as grippy as Spiderman snot, they are too bulky and it makes it hard to position my feet on the pedals

These are the ones Keith has.  Less bulky than the ones you have, but probably don't offer the type of toe protection you're looking for

These ones look interesting though, less bulky than the originals, but look a bit sturdier/more protective than the ones above.

I know what you mean about the Vans, I went over the top of my pedal and slammed my toe into the ground when wearing vans and my big toe black up straight away, starting bleeding and about a week later my toe nail came off!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:24 PM by mike@dialledbikes »

Flying_fox

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 07:26 AM »
I used Vans Rowley XLT's for year, they were damn good.

Now I'm using Nike 6.0's, they are even better!

I think 5/10's would be too grippy for me, people who wear them have complained that if your foot comes off of the pedal and goes back on crooked you can't pull it straight. I like to be able to move my foot on the pedal if needed.

Good pedals are as important as good shoes.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 07:35 AM »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Race Shoes for the old.....ish ones

gfxgfx
gfx gfx