gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 10:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Tyre pressures?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tyre pressures?  (Read 1847 times)

Bushwacked

Tyre pressures?
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:51 PM »
Hi!

I'm new to this BMX lark and people keep telling me that tyre pressures are so important - the MTB world I'm from its important but you run pressures so much lower - 30-40psi rather than 80-100psi everyone keeps recommending.

What is the difference with tyres on a BMX with say 80psi or 100psi? I'd like to run the pressures a bit lower to get some more give in the tyres (My ankles are killing from landing heavily) but will this have a knock on effect and I find my tyres roll off the rims??  :-\

Cheers.

B

JT71

Re: Tyre pressures?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:59 PM »
harder they are the less likely to "squidge" under you, esp on ramps n stuff.

I think that the reason.

also you don't lose speed or momentum so easily, therefore it take's less energy to keep going.

magna13

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:33 PM »
60 psi for me  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Bushwacked

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:40 PM »
60 psi!!!!  :shocked:

That seems low - but you running fine on that pressure?

magna13

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:43 PM »
 :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:, Perfecto!

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 05:45 PM »
i run 100 psi on my ramp bike due to better rolling resistance ie they roll faster so less effort needed, less chance of pinch flats etc, on my jump bike i run about 70 for a softer landing and better grip, highly unlikely the tyre will pop off the rim unless u run stupidly low amounts of pressure some of my trials friends only run 20 psi and have no probs with tyres popping off the rims  

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 05:51 PM »
Depends a little bit on your weight, plus the tyre type. The modern kevlar folding jobbies need a load of air in em for them to behave properly.  I'm a fat knacker who rides ramp so I run 110psi.  When I'm at Rom riding the concrete I drop the front down to 90 to save me wrists a bit. Any lower than that and I can feel them washing out and it makes me tense, which in turn makes me crash!!

See how you go with 80psi unless you're under 12 stone, then you could drop another 10psi probably. More if you're riding dirt   :)

Lazarou

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 06:13 PM »
I have always ran 69 for juvenile reasons!

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 06:17 PM »
under 12 stone wtf
im now 17 stone and run mine at 90 to 100 psi
was 19 stone rode to rom sun about 3.5 miles i think it is
on 90psi and felt every grain of dirt lol
ok for parks but not street

perry

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 06:41 PM »
i havnt a clue what "psi" mine are at . i just use the thumb technique honed after 14 years of doing it but i never go near a smooth surface so its a whole lot less than these gus are using

over inflate the rear ( ie have more pressure than the front ) for oversteer  8) you really dont want the front wasing out from under you . it also helps with rear wheel tricks and the rear takes more abuse anyway . itl be kinder on the wrists and if you are rimming the front , pressures are the least of the worries

subversion

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 10:06 PM »
what tyres do you run?

I'd say go session with a lower pressure than you normally would, you'll soon know if it's not right. Increase the pressure by 10psi (a nice round figure!) & then ride for a bit more. Keep going until you reach the maximum recommended inflation & then decide which tyre pressure you liked the feel of most & go to it :daumenhoch: it doesn't matter what someone says is wrong or right, it's only you that knows best for your riding dude...

Personally - KHE mac2 streets @ 70-75psi F&R (which is generally lower than some people would say you have to run these tyres) ;)

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 11:12 PM »
religiously with laz for the same reasons

Bushwacked

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 06:23 AM »
I'm running Fit FAF's - fat on up front and thin one at the back

condor96

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 07:21 AM »
ive run this for many years...
smooth ramps and pools and flatland-100-120 psi
ok ramps and skate parks-85
street and rough ramps-75
dirt-85 front 75 rear

and make sure your pressures are good, 7 years ago i grabed my bike(which i hadnt rode for awhile at the time) and went to kona. the bike felt a little funny but i attributed to not bein on it for awhile. well i was just warming up, doin a alley op grind on an 8 foot 1/4, when i went to roll in my tire unfolded off the rim which instantly fliped the bars out of my hands and i fell from that far up straight to concrete, landed with all my weight slaming into my hand(which was in a position like if you were to check your heartbeat but used the back side of your hand) and it also knocked me out for 3 mins. my hand was so jacked up(i couldnt ride for a long time, it still give me problems to this day) i checked after all this stuff happened and there was 18 psi in the tires! i wish i could go back in time and put some air in the tires.
point of the story, check your tire pressures and put what feel is good to u in them

evamedia

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 09:09 AM »
80 for ramps
60 for dirt

10 stone nothing

SaMAlex

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 09:17 AM »
I run between 60 and 80 (But I will now change to the Laz/Phil 69 cos I like that a lot!). Im 11 stone ish and am currently using Revenge kevlar tires.

I like the tire to curve round the coping on a fu or a canadian. I dont like it when the tire is like a rock and just sits on the top of the coping.

If I ran my tires a little harder I might be able to get higher on vert and spin lip tricks better tho.

firebird4130

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 09:29 AM »
for dirt :- 65 front & 55 back

macky

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 09:46 AM »

I used to run 65- 75 psi in both tryes.....

now use 110 psi..... hell of lot better!!  :daumenhoch:

makes it easier to pump... started getting a lot higher when i upped my tyre pressure!!!

Bushwacked

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 10:33 AM »
Softer for more grip seems to suit me as a newbie - going to try the 69 and see how I get on.

And I don't think there is much wrong with a 69 face plant  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

magna13

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 07:44 AM »
for dirt :- 65 front & 55 back
i run that for dirt to  :daumenhoch:

firebird4130

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 09:09 AM »
Good to know I'm not alone :LolLolLolLol:

Stella Dave

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 10:58 PM »
Fit FAF 80 psi

Bushwacked

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 01:58 PM »
Dropped my pressures slightly and things feel easier.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Tyre pressures?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx