gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 04:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stuck seat post.....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stuck seat post.....  (Read 817 times)

Steve Shindig

Stuck seat post.....
« on: July 05, 2008, 09:14 PM »
So I have a painted alu pivotal post stuck in a normal 4130 frame.  It went in fine and then got stuck and I can't shift it.  Any ideas how to get this thing out please?  Thanks.

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Stuck seat post.....
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 09:29 PM »
I had this a few weeks ago on a 85 Performer, I soaked it every day with WD40 & it still would not move  :(

In the end I put the seat post in the vice & turned the frame, it came out  :angel:

& it did not fook the seat post  :)

motomagII

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 08:32 AM »
buy some rust remover liquid water it down soak in it for short while .i did this and after ten mins it just slid straight out easiest stuck post ive ever got out .works a treat

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:57 AM »
Hmmm, alloy and 4130

Rust remove wont do much as alloy does not rust!

I would plug up the hole in the bottom of the seat tube (inside the BB) and fill with Caustic Soda.

The caustic soda will eat away at the alloy. Do NOT breathe the fumes!

Steve Shindig

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:38 AM »
Cool,. thanks for advise dudes, I'll try this caustic soda idea... this sounds like a good plan as I don't have a vice.

Cheers again. I'll let you know how I get on. So, Halfords for this caustic soda stuff?

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 09:54 AM »
B & Q mate or any homewhere store, Halfords won't do it I think. B & Q best bet ;)

electro808

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 10:20 AM »
I did not come up with this method but I know it works, if you don't have a vise...  Get an old stem, clamp it to the post then use a set of forks or some tubing (scaffy bar ;D) for extra leverage and use that to turn out the post.  You might have to lay the frame down and stand on it until you get the post moving. 

Try that before you start messing around with caustic soda.  Naughty, naughty stuff if you've got kids or pets knocking around...

toys19

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:38 AM »
Caustic soda sounds like a good way to ruin your frame, if any leaks out you will need to neutralise it. Otherwise it will leach into the tiny pores around the welds and make your frame rust to hell! Avoid.
The stem idea sounds sensible or I did this with an alloy uni post in my curtis frame -  hacksaw it off, then get the hacksaw blade or a dremel and cut a slot into the inside of the seat post so that you can jam a big screwdriver in and get the thing moving.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 11:48 AM »
Diesel, soak it for a while, then heat up up the frame and get it in a vice. We did this with one of my Gt Pro Performers and all was good  :daumenhoch:

motomagII

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 02:07 PM »
im telling you rust remover i used it on alloy frame with metal seat post stuck and it literally fell out once soaked in the remover

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 09:15 PM »
Whilst ally doesn't rust as such, it does corrode and ally and steel will mate if left in the right conditions....  In my job we have to isolate those two materials from each other.

I too would swerve the caustic soda until its last chance time.  Also, heat is unlikely to work as the ally post will expand quicker than the steel frame.

I assume the post is scrap?  If so, then I'd do as the others have said and repeatedly soak the post/frame area then after a few days I'd give the post a bloody good whack with a hammer straight down to try and get it to move. If it moves down, then you'll be able to get it going side to side, and then eventually it'll come out.

If all that fails, I'd cut if off flush with the frame and drill it out  :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stuck seat post.....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx