gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 01, 2024, 12:10 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Forum  |  Q&A, Ideas & Feedback  |  Customs and paypal contacts
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Customs and paypal contacts  (Read 926 times)

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Customs and paypal contacts
« on: June 26, 2008, 02:12 PM »
Because i import a lot from the states and use paypal virtually every week i have done battle with both organisations on numerous occasions. As part and parcel of this communication i have built up some usefull management contacts within both that i can share with others who encounter problems as i know how painful it is to get nowhere when dealing with both. I thought perhaps a sticky with contacts posted in the bmx chat thread that we can all add to from time to time???? just a thought  :)

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
Re: Customs and paypal contacts
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 02:23 PM »
good idea,

out of experience; how often to you get taxed on imports? or have you had any issues with getting stuff sent as 'gifts' ?

MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:49 PM »
good idea,

out of experience; how often to you get taxed on imports? or have you had any issues with getting stuff sent as 'gifts' ?

Yeah i get taxed quite a lot now, they have clamped down. The last time i got away with it was Christmas when the states had a bottleneck due to the bad weather they had and it all came through at once . The gifts thing no longer works, i have spoken with a customs officer today and he said its pretty pointless and it actually now flags up a possible issue. The only thing i can think of is whether the bicycle helmet option may work. As it stands there is no VAT on bike helmets in the uk  ???

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 02:54 PM »
My Uncle used to be a senior Customs Officer, he told me that they don't have the resourse to check evey parcel, so theoretically 'gifts' with a value of sub £36 ($70) should breeze through everytime.

He did however say that if they see consistent names/addresses receiving parcels from Non-EU Sources they will eventually investigate and potentially you could get in some deep Sh!t...., but i'd say you'd have to be getting a lot of post to qualify 
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 02:59 PM »
My Uncle used to be a senior Customs Officer, he told me that they don't have the resourse to check evey parcel, so theoretically 'gifts' with a value of sub £36 ($70) should breeze through everytime.

He did however say that if they see consistent names/addresses receiving parcels from Non-EU Sources they will eventually investigate and potentially you could get in some deep Sh!t...., but i'd say you'd have to be getting a lot of post to qualify 

Yeah that sounds about right. The declaration of under $70 in value is a way round it i think...

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 10:25 PM »

Yeah that sounds about right. The declaration of under $70 in value is a way round it i think...

That's how i've been doing it  :daumenhoch: Problem is when the f@$king seller won't co-operate :tickedoff: Then it's a total lottery - I've had $200+ items (including a full bike which just with the size of it you think it would flag up !) slip right through and then had a poxy set of grips get held awiting tax payments  :uglystupid2:
It's all bollox though, bloody import tax on a 20 odd year old bike part.....please  ::)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 01:32 PM »
+1 ... i've also been getting letters from parcelforce notifying me of a charge and to come collect ... and the same day the parcel gets delivered by mistake by them  :2funny:  happened a few times now!

jackel

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 01:35 PM »
surely kids bikes arent taxable?

crightonk

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 12:42 PM »
I got done last week with R4 ds card, £3 tax and £8 delivry charge from Royal Mail, theiving c***s, was only worth £17 :'(

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 10:19 AM »
I just got done  :'(

Buyer marked it up as $50 value and "GIFT" but they still hit me for VAT and a "handling charge"  :wtf:

.................cost me 38 quid in total to get my parcel  :tickedoff:

Mind you there's a good fair few have slipped through the net over the last couple of years too  ;)  :angel: :LolLolLolLol:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Forum  |  Q&A, Ideas & Feedback  |  Customs and paypal contacts

gfxgfx
gfx gfx