gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 08:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  toptube suggestions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: toptube suggestions  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
toptube suggestions
« on: June 07, 2008, 05:43 PM »
i'm in the stages of ordering my new race frame, wondering what toptube length to go for.

i ride a 20.5 on my park/street setup. not sure whether to go longer

i'm 5'6" what do you think?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: toptube suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:46 PM »
stick with what you know phil ,you can always make the wagon longer with setting your rear wheel at the furthest point back
or slide on a longer stem.also might be worth hitting a local track to get a feel of a few different rides  just to get the feel.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 05:54 PM »
well i was thinking that!

i've hopefully got two frames arriving sometime soon when i've sorted some stuff out, was speaking with the man this morning and he suggested going to the next size up for the race frame for more stability on the track. so it got me thinking!

i want both frames in the same colour and build will be done to the same scheme with similar parts but obviously lighter stuff on the race bike, i want identical custom markings on the frames so they'll be like a pair, 'team philbert' you might say

jedi

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 05:58 PM »
team tart more like!  .............................runs away ziggzagging...............................

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 06:46 PM »
team tart more like!  .............................runs away ziggzagging...............................

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 06:48 PM »
 ;D  cool slap

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 06:58 PM »
If your used to riding a 20.5" top tube then stick with it. I'm only a smidge taller and I use a 20.5" and wouldn't change it for anything. :daumenhoch:

What bike were you thinking of getting by the way.

Moschops

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 06:59 PM »
at 5'6" a 20.5" top tube is more than enough for a race bike. I would even suggest you look for a 40mm reach stem. Atomlab make a very nice light one.

I'm 5'11" and ride that set up.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 07:10 PM »
phil try to design one thats got an adjustable top and down tube. then you can have what ever you like
you might chuckle but a few companys make frames with seperate parts and they race them.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 07:52 PM »

well i haven't been happy in bmx since about christmas, several things have really pissed me off over the last couple of months and i know the root cause!

i did receive warning from our future prime minister, the right honourable lazarou about straying from the path and he's right! as always! so i've been in touch with a few past associates/friends recently about rectifying the situation and am heading back to what i know. those that know me will know where i'm heading! but it'll definately be happier times again!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 07:57 PM »
phil remember that frame i picked up from mr hitchcox well the lad that rides it now is jay mills#hes at hardcorehobbies
if you drop him a mail or i will see him in a few days i can see if you can try his frame .its 21" tt the new 125r

SaMAlex

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 08:01 PM »
those that know me will know where i'm heading!

There was nothing wrong with your S&M, it just came at a bad time and you were Woowed away from it too fast.

Race bike? .... I hope you aint gunna trust those doily forks

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 08:06 PM »
i think i've made my mind up dude but cheers!

used to have a 21 trailboss and it did feel too long and when i put my bullitt round milton keynes and bulwell it felt good so i'm gonna get both frames in 20.5. like peole have said, stick to what you know.

should be able to swap from bike to bike really easily if they're the same, just one will be light as hell and one set for street

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 08:09 PM »
So your like me and Russ then and no longer a Team Coyote/Tioga rider.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 08:10 PM »
There was nothing wrong with your S&M, it just came at a bad time and you were Woowed away from it too fast.

Race bike? .... I hope you aint gunna trust those doily forks

the S&M was a work of art and was fine with it, was possibly a bit dainty for my style of riding but i loved it! don't worry alex.

what you mean by 'doily forks'? i'm lost!

SaMAlex

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 08:12 PM »
The forks with the doily dropouts. The ones with more holes than metal

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:17 PM by S&MAlex »

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 08:25 PM »
So your like me and Russ then and no longer a Team Coyote/Tioga rider.  :LolLolLolLol:

:LolLolLolLol: yeah binned that off as soon as dibly left! still with dibly on the 'uk bike co' thing, riding and testing a frame but i think i'll be heading back to what i know!

its weird, theres nothing wrong with the uk bike, in fact its fookin awesome! its a me thing. kind of feel like i've lost part of my identity. since the mid 90's i've been on standards, i've been out there and met rick, met most of they're greatest riders, been to they're video premiers, have they're artwork tattooed on me, and the main thing that drew me toward standard was the riding style of their riders, i didn't see them and think i want to ride like that, i developed my own style and then found a company of similar ethics and it was standard, the fact that they're the best bike company in the world is a bonus. its in my blood and time to head back

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 08:27 PM »
gotcha!

no i'll stick with my odyssey classic race forks, for race and my street bike

but then again it depends how much they cost because they do look lovely

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 08:30 PM »
Phil I am 5'10" and ride a 21.25 frame  (my neal wood) and my new race bike will is 21.25 too so I am with you on keeping them the same  :daumenhoch:

:) DINGO :)

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 08:49 PM »
dingo - i'm going to be calling on you for tuition up at bulwell when my race bike is ready, maybe get some actual races under my belt eventually

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  toptube suggestions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx