gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Installing headset help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Installing headset help  (Read 580 times)

funkwit

Installing headset help
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:39 AM »
Does anyone know of a good way of getting the little ring for the fork on easily. In that past I've just hammered it down using a spanner over the top and the forks upside down. The last time I did this, the little ring didn't go on very easily and I bashed up a pair of freshly powdered forks ( :'(). Am I missing a trick, or is my way the only way?

Cheers, Marc

jackel

Re: Installing headset help
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:45 AM »
if theres paint on the bottom cone seat get it off first and put grease on it before you drop the cone on :daumenhoch: helps a lot :)

JT71

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 12:19 PM »
ideally a tube that fits over the fork steerer to tap the race in place.

evamedia

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 01:26 PM »
I use an upside down chisel with a plastic handle, screws the chisel, but seems to work.

Never got a crown race off without buggering it and having to get a new headset though.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 01:45 PM »
getting them off is the easy part!  most forks have a small groove in them just along the lip where the baering race fits, you just put a flat screw driver in it and give it a bang with a rubber mallet or hammer, then once it's moved slightly just go around the bottom giving it a tap all the way round, then it'll just pop off  :daumenhoch:

getting it on can be a reet git though

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:34 PM »

what jt said, piece of pipe is best way to do it.

funkwit

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 06:52 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll try the pipe.

dodger

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 08:14 AM »
i have a 10" offcut of old car exhaust especialy for this just slide the race on with a little grease and slide the pipe of the top and hit in a motion used by young teenagers(kept it clean for the younger members lol )

sonic-1

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 10:54 AM »
could try bungin forks in frezer n heatin the ring n it should just slid on then with gentle tap

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Installing headset help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx