gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 01:33 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  CHAIN HELP NEEDED
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: CHAIN HELP NEEDED  (Read 814 times)

billy-bmx

CHAIN HELP NEEDED
« on: May 28, 2008, 01:17 PM »
my chain has gone realy dry and stiff and locked up
i want to know how to get it running smooth again
people have told me they left it in a tub of some oil or something over night?
any ideas?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: CHAIN HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 01:21 PM »
yeah, take it off and give it a real good clean with soapy water and a good brush....then just dry it with a cloth and leave for halt an hour to dry, then use a good Lube/oil on it and put it back on.  jobs a good'n! 

then look after it a bit better   ;)  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:22 PM by pickle »

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 02:14 PM »
Buy a bottle of white spirit..... Use an old baking tray or some kind of metal container. Pour the white spirit into the tray/container. drop your chain into the tray making sure it is all immersed in the white spirit. Leave it for 24 hours.
  Take an old toothbrush and brush the chain to remove the stubborn bits. Check for wear and stretching(replace if necessary).  When you are finished brushing...hang the chain up to dry(doesnt take long). Lightly lube and fit the chain  :daumenhoch:  If the chain feels gritty before oiling then rinse with clean white spirit until its free from grit.
  Hope this helps  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:16 PM »
or buy a new one for a tenna  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 02:26 PM »

or, swap it with the one off your old mans bike! >:D

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:03 PM »
Get a small plastic container from the kitchen (Ask an adult for permission 1st), roll the chain up so it fits, soak over night in WD40, wipe well and re-fit and wipe again once on bike carefully no fingers in cogs please, then abit of lube not too much otherwise you will get moaned at for getting grease on your non skinny jeans Billy. :)

BmxBandito

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 11:32 PM »
the easiets method and also the quickest (bar buying a new one) is to give it a good old going over with a wire brush, and then lube it up  :daumenhoch:

sonic-1

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 10:48 AM »
if its started seizin best to sod it off n get a new one !!!!! would you trust it after yer got it runnin free again i know i wouldnt

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 11:20 AM »
if its started seizin best to sod it off n get a new one !!!!! would you trust it after yer got it runnin free again i know i wouldnt

It sounded to me like it was clarted up with old oil/grease and dirt. The white spirit i mentioned will de-grease and break all this down to be brushed away easily leaving the chain perfectly safe and usable as long as it hasn't stretched too much from use. Depends on the quality of the chain really :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  CHAIN HELP NEEDED

gfxgfx
gfx gfx