gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 10:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  removing stuck stem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: removing stuck stem  (Read 610 times)

motomagII

removing stuck stem
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:58 AM »
got me race inc and the suntour mini stem is solid in the forkas tried wd40 but hasnt budged it at all .any ideas guys

scowey

Re: removing stuck stem
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:05 PM »
soak in WD40 maybe? s'pose you have done that already? but just in case  :)

scowey

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:07 PM »
oops I should learn to read  ;)

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 12:33 PM »
Mini stems were all alloy wern't they ? If you can get the bolt out and the wedge out of the bottom you might be able to knock out if its really stuck. A piece of wood might be ok and not damage anything. Be careful when you support the frame and forks so nothing gets damaged though.

I don't know if anyone else can think of a good way but if all else fails it might be best to cut the stem so you can get the forks off and then get the bit left in the steerer tube macjined out.

As suggested give it a good soaking, WD40, Diesel etc. Leave it stood upside down filled up and see if that works.

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:42 PM »
just whipped diesel in it for an hour see if that works

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 06:10 PM »
Might need longer than that if it's gone all white and crusty. Hope you can save it.

virtualmeuk

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 06:18 PM »
All good. Fired a load of WD 40 and clamped the stem in the vice and just hept turning a small bit back and forth and eventually it came out. was sticking all the way to the end. Took me about 2 hours in total but the stem is in good shape and so are the forks. Glad i didnt try and force it and break somthing :daumenhoch:

Thanks for the advice though

motomagII

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 08:42 AM »
sorted got some hd rust remover from handymans on way home.soaked it for about 30 mins gave it tiny tap and the lot just came apart .well chuffed  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  removing stuck stem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx