gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 11:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Freestyling Gearing...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Freestyling Gearing...  (Read 950 times)

magna13

Freestyling Gearing...
« on: April 05, 2008, 09:30 AM »
hi guys.

just wondered what gearing you need on your freestyler. as i went on one of my friends 'ammaco freestyler' at the skatepark near me and i wanted to drop in on the big part but the bike wouldnt go in because the 44t chainring was hitting it. so what kinda gearing would make these bike fast but able to drop into big parts of the skatepark? thanks

motomagII

Re: Freestyling Gearing...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 12:12 PM »
the best bet is for 33/13 gearing which is what i used .or smaller if you get cassette rear hub .or learn to jump into a rampo rather than ride into it

magna13

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 12:22 PM »
sorry i gotta be a bit more specific. i ment for like old school bikes. greg i already use 33/13 gearing  :smitten: i'd never change

motomagII

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 12:27 PM »
you can run that gearing on old school if ya have flip flop hub ?otherwise your stuck with 16t rear which means 44 t front or at very least 42t

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 10:56 PM »
Pretty much everyone ran 43,44 or 45/16 right up into the newschool.  You need to work on your technique rolling into ramps without hitting your chainring   ;)

lodge

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 11:01 PM »
Was just gonna ask how are you dropping in? , as rob says everyone ran that gearing bitd and I cant remember anyone catching there chain rings even though bitd riders tended to ride in without lifting there wheels as there was no coping.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 08:13 AM »
Must admit I only noticed this problem when I started riding pipes and bowls again last year, then I remembered we used to approach the coping parrallel and do a quick 90 degree turn off the edge. Shite myself the first time I did it after 25 years, but got the hang of it again. All my bikes are 44/16 except my Haro which has a "pedal-like-fook" 40/16 to give it a bit extra clearance. Usually have to sling it in the back of the motor to go anywhere though, as I'm krackered if I ride it more than half a mile and look stupid  :2funny:

(what, more stupid than a 38-year-old on a 20" bike? How could that be....... ;D)

Cheers - Spen
Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Freestyling Gearing...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx