gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975649 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6349 Members - Latest Member: Kev667 July 07, 2024, 06:57 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  So, do you race an old school bike or...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: So, do you race an old school bike or...  (Read 2615 times)

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
So, do you race an old school bike or...
« on: March 17, 2008, 10:56 PM »
an old school legal bike?  ie 20.5" plus type thing

I've been racing my Redline 700 series over the winter, it's a 1990 with 21" top tube, it's very stable and I feel safe riding it... but it's not really old school, is it?

After seeing 796s Proclass and that Diamond Back, I was wondering how many people actually race old bikes, 85 or earlier? 

??? talk to me, photos are good too...

"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: So, do you race an old school bike or...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:02 PM »
I raced the whole of the OSS summer with my 1981 Redline PL20, I then played with a powerlite (1989 ish) at the start of the winter, but soon returned to the PL20 and managed to take #1 on it 27 years after it was built. I still worry about using it after I found stress marks in the welds about 6 months ago :idiot2:

I would love to see the OS on pre 85 bikes, but that wont happen now, prices are too high to risk the real old stuff on the track, plus everyone wants to ride a bike that feels stable.

A long time ago, in a land far away!

QuadPaul

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:41 PM »
Up until now Bren I'd always stuck with true OS bikes, 83 Quad, then a 82 GT Pro and took 2nd place in last years summer series, but everyone else seems to have gone to the Mid school frames so to stay competative I decided to join them as you know ;)

As Ratty says is a bit of a shame as was good watching real old school gates, but the mid school frames are some much nicer to ride unfortunatley and with us old gits getting more hooked we are all look for that edge at the expense of the early bikes :-[  BTW I was in favour of the pre 1990 rule but could see that it would have been nie on imposible to inforce.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:56 PM »
I'm only 5'6" and I think 18" TT are knee bangers ,
 that used to riding NS park bike

I've rode Bof's Elf double cross and have a Robbo Pro 1990  19 1/2"TT

How performer rode his Kuwi in the Winter series amazed me  ???

must be a 17" TT ,like Torkers

they are for Wigan Spens  , you know

thecrooch

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 09:46 AM »
im going to be starting the season on a 1980 JMC - im only picking it up tonight and i know itll be a squeeze on the knees but itll have to do until i can sort something a bit longer (if needed)

a few have questioned whether i want to risk something that old - so i see what Ratty is on about but i personally believe that they should be used for what they were designed for.  I did break my original JMC Darrell Young back in 86 and ill keep a close eye on this one...

you cant be too precious around them can you.... ? ? 

Lee Shurey

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:55 AM »
This is what i was going to race my 87 Titan pro xl  but after a days practice a hayes
with my 15 stone on it me thinks she would not last the year out  :'( im sick as a pig as it rides superb
but its way to good a frame to fook it so the search is now on for a new o/s bike but what do i do
try to stay true to o/s or give in and go mid school and 1" headset & caliper brakes  :-\

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:06 AM »
As Hunterdubber said I have raced on an 83 Kuwi Survivor, and even with a layback on and a massive pro xxl stem it was small, I am only 6'1 but the bike was too small in practicality, absolutely no issues with its stregnth though and it rode beutifully (if a little intensive on ya b@llox  :'( )and they look  :smitten:

Have now traded it with the Gentleman that is Bodamus for a rare later mid/os legal Kuwi with a 21" TT and that will be raced for the forseeable future
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

thecrooch

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:42 AM »
Up until now Bren I'd always stuck with true OS bikes, 83 Quad, then a 82 GT Pro and took 2nd place in last years summer series, but everyone else seems to have gone to the Mid school frames so to stay competative I decided to join them as you know ;)

As Ratty says is a bit of a shame as was good watching real old school gates, but the mid school frames are some much nicer to ride unfortunatley and with us old gits getting more hooked we are all look for that edge at the expense of the early bikes :-[  BTW I was in favour of the pre 1990 rule but could see that it would have been nie on imposible to inforce.

How long is the top tube on your RL20 Ratty?

Longun

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 10:53 AM »
O/S legal (1992 GT Interceptor). However, that's not a decision I made in order to find something with a longer TT (in fact I have no idea how long the TT on any of my bikes are), but simply because it was the closest looking frame to the one I really wanted (82-83 Nora cup).

Now I've got a Nora Cup I'm intending to race it once I've restored it and if it breaks, well tough.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 11:52 AM »
i race an elf xl 21 1/2" top tube, the extra length on that frame actually makes it harder to ride as the long backend keeps the front down making it really hard to lift, so no real advantage over old school at all in this instance, the assassin i found was the same, a complete pig to ride compared to the haro sport i raced last year, late frames may look like an unfair advantage but believe me its not always the case, i ride my elf coz i like the way it looks not how it feels, shallow as fook but true,

but getting back to Ron B's point, its great to see proper old school bikes at the races, they really stand out, and any top end o/s pro bike should perform as well as a later one as an inch either way can be a blessing or a problem for both,

a pre 81 race would be good to see at MK tho :daumenhoch:

bmx-796

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 12:12 PM »
i have been useing this

my gt 82 pro

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 12:16 PM »
I race this Robinson Pro XL.  It's the nicest old school legal bike I've ever ridden.

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 12:23 PM »
get on this for 10 mins ,,you think ya on a new schooler

but who cares ,,im ridin it

give me a burner stilll whopp ya asses i will

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 12:26 PM »
nowt like a bit of old geezer banter

r :angrysoapbox: :angrysoapbox:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 12:42 PM »

How long is the top tube on your RL20 Ratty?

21" mate, one of the first OS frames with a sensible top tube, shame the back end is so long, Redline very nearly sussed the right geo!! Oh and the head is too high as well as the Bottom bracket :angel:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 12:47 PM »
my OS is 1987's finest

21" TT & nice stable geometry

freeagent pro long (later became the "limo" )

cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 01:01 PM »
Trundling around on a '91 Redline Anniversary edition courtesy of Ratty.  Nice long TT for a lanky, lardy b like me but have compromised it with 2001 Redline cranks running a Euro BB with DMR Wondercups - silky smooth.  Also have a Chris King headset (also smooth) and the bars are chromed Diamondback straight out the local bike shop.  Most other bits are now old, eg Araya 7X's, Sharp 1-11 grips, albeit the colours don't match as I've gradually acquired them - do I care??  Do I f!!  Love riding the bike and constantly finishing last.  It's the fun of it that makes riding the OS class so special even if the bike is bordering on mid-skool.  Humps

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 01:18 PM »
i use my wilson, think its from about 83 but not to sure. I do have slam bars on it though so they not os

bmx-796

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 01:23 PM »
or this may come out of the shed

thecrooch

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 02:44 PM »
here she is..

will look at little different ont' gate

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 03:08 PM »
sweet, they got a glorious ass end on em :daumenhoch:

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 05:02 PM »
No racing Guru... but this compared to anything else I have ridden is the sweetest...

hooga1975

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 06:09 PM »

You got to keep it real and true to the Old School :daumenhoch:

eloopnai

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 06:18 PM »
81 mongoose to start with building a 84 supergoose 3 at the mo so might change to that see how it goes 

Offline Muffski

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 07:38 PM »
Raced this during most of the winter series :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  So, do you race an old school bike or...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx