gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 06:58 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Latest build, a cool bit of history....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Latest build, a cool bit of history....  (Read 7142 times)

gossa

Latest build, a cool bit of history....
« on: March 13, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Just finished Tommy Lynches Patterson PR200.

Tom won the 2005 European Championship in Barcelona on this actual bike with Redline stickers on it when he rode for Redline.  Tommy came into the frame again and i've been restoring it for him. Tommy rode for Patterson in 1984 and is/was one of the smothest and most skilled riders the UK has ever produced plus he is just the nicest guy you'll ever meet.  This build is dedicated  to Toms dad, Big Tom, who passed away tragically in December, far too early in his life.

Spec List:
Patterson PR200 frame (rechromed) with survivor forks, Son Lite hubs on Blue Ukai Speedlines with Ashai stainless. Single pinch full wrap 180mm Flites, polished bubble font 44T chainwheel with NOS DX's. Blue MX1000 w/skyway pro pads/tech 4 lever on Redline Forklifter bars, Ame Tri's, Tommys old Patty Pads, Kashimax seat on chromo post with moody MX seatclamp. NOS rainbow label comps with 25 year old michelin tubes with metal threaded valve stems w/blue dustcaps. BT2 headset with blue dirtskirt.

wildwood1971

Re: Latest build, a cool bit of history....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:58 PM »
STUNNING LOOKING BIKE AND A NICE STORY( bloody caps lock) :daumenhoch:

gossa

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:01 PM »
STUNNING LOOKING BIKE AND A NICE STORY( bloody caps lock) :daumenhoch:

I thought you were just being assertive :LolLolLolLol:

If anyone knows Tom, let me tell you this build wasn't a sinch for lynch!  Had to pay nearly $300 for the forks from the states, on the plus side, I got the pedals for free!!! Yes, FREE NOS DX PEDALS!!!

its33

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:02 PM »
that is one of the best builds i have ever seen!tell you no  bull $%^& that bike "Has the look" and also takes me back to the good old days,some builds do it,others dont ,that has it by the bucket load!

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:03 PM »
good job there mate, i do like a patterson :daumenhoch:

gossa

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:06 PM »
that is one of the best builds i have ever seen!tell you no  bull $%^& that bike "Has the look" and also takes me back to the good old days,some builds do it,others dont ,that has it by the bucket load!
Woo, cheers for that, Tommy will love it, he hasn't even seen it yet!  I know those bars aren't the 'normal' choice for this kinda build but that's exactly what Tommy rode....

bridgecity

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:07 PM »
metal tube valves. there's attention to detail one doesn't see very often.
Cool piece of history.

dialledbikes

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:07 PM »
Fantastic.  And I bet Tom will jump the step up at Bournemouth on it as well.

donkeybambam

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:09 PM »
VERY NICE  :daumenhoch:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 09:39 PM »
Very nice bike that, what stem have you used? Got any vids of him racing that at Barcelona?
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

gossa

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 09:47 PM »
Very nice bike that, what stem have you used? Got any vids of him racing that at Barcelona?

Ah, you noticed i didn't mention the stem! Something to hide!!!  I'm waiting for my engineer mate to finish a repro ESP (CLEARLY MARKED REPRO) but he's super busy so i've thrown on a lovely mid 90's Brand X stem (super light) for now.

I'm sure Tommy has a vid, i'll get him to sort something out. He was also on a cover of BMX Bi Weekly on that bike with Redline decals.

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 09:49 PM »
Very nice  :4_17_5:  :4_17_5:

Steve

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 09:58 PM »

Ah, you noticed i didn't mention the stem! Something to hide!!!  I'm waiting for my engineer mate to finish a repro ESP (CLEARLY MARKED REPRO) but he's super busy so i've thrown on a lovely mid 90's Brand X stem (super light) for now.

I'm sure Tommy has a vid, i'll get him to sort something out. He was also on a cover of BMX Bi Weekly on that bike with Redline decals.

Nice one :daumenhoch:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

baldbmxer

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 10:31 PM »
Cool build for a cool guy  :daumenhoch:

Tom is one of the all time greats, still looks like a 15 year old even though he's fast approaching 40. He's the Peter Pan of BMX!

A true ambassador for BMX, Tom recieved an MBE for his services to cycling. Whether it be the graceful way he killed the competition in the ameteur and Superclass ranks or his outstanding work as a Paramedic on wheels - he was the first Tom is a great guy from whom we can all learn a thing or two.

While racing at Slough around 1990 I swooped Tom and Bobby Hyde in the second turn in the semi of the Brits, it was a great move - I was stoked and probably griining like a Cheshire cat! - well right up until I punctured coming out of the last turn, loosing traction Tom breezed past me!!!! Doh. He stopped after the line and appologised, saying he heard my tire go. As gracious in defeat as in winning.

The Patterson build is a great tribute to a truly great guy  :daumenhoch:

and very fitting that is a tribute to his late father, a very very proud father.

Excellent work Clive  :4_17_5:

gossa

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 10:50 PM »
Cheers jumpin, we all love wee Tommy pepper. I hope he rides it again, his shoulder is still well tweaked from his bomo crash...

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 10:57 PM »
Awesome build Clive, great bit of history too  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

frdavid

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 05:35 AM »
impressive bike :shocked: i love it :daumenhoch:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 05:56 AM »
Sweet build, gossa, very nice mate :daumenhoch:

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 07:46 AM »
nicely done.

the story makes the build...top bike with a proper and genuine 'feel' to it.

the most satisfying ones are the ones you do for a reason... :daumenhoch:

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Nice one Clive, i wont bother doing mine now, i'll just bring it round to you.

Patterson = yum yum.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 06:25 PM »
Very nice Clive , Tom'll like that & what a tribute to Big Tom  :4_17_5:

I spent most of my BMX years riding with Tom , it was a pleasure & he was for sure damn good ! . I only ever beat him once , it was at MK but sadly it was'nt a main ( semi I think ) so he was probably just cruising !  ::) ;D . I think it was the same day I beat Errol McLean , he got really p1ssed about that ! LOL .

It would be good to see Tom & the bike at MK08 , Clive make sure you bring that 09 too  ;)

gossa

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Very nice Clive , Tom'll like that & what a tribute to Big Tom  :4_17_5:

I spent most of my BMX years riding with Tom , it was a pleasure & he was for sure damn good ! . I only ever beat him once , it was at MK but sadly it was'nt a main ( semi I think ) so he was probably just cruising !  ::) ;D . I think it was the same day I beat Errol McLean , he got really p1ssed about that ! LOL .

It would be good to see Tom & the bike at MK08 , Clive make sure you bring that 09 too  ;)

We'll be there mate, I can see it now, Tom wheeling his bike up the start gate with all the collectors saying, 'don't ride on those NOS DX's mate, you'll take 50% off the value!'  :LolLolLolLol:

magna13

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Nice  :daumenhoch:

sinchy

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 01:17 PM »
Ah Clive and the guys, especiallly Keechy who kept the frame for over 20yrs! This is something a bit special and this time i will not put redline stickers on it or disregard it for a robinson.

You have done a great job my friend and i know your intention was to build it in time but thats ok as i told my dad what you were making a Clive special as i you built most of my bikes anyway. Well i got the bike and the gear, would love to do MK, will see how it goes.

Thanks Clive i know it was hard work, its really appreciated.

'Its a sinch'
Tom Lynch

gossa

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 01:42 PM »
so are you coming to get it or shall i jut but it on ebay! :LolLolLolLol:

Tommy, it was a bit of work but just to see you on the start hill in all your gear on that bike will be more than worth it and big tom will be smiling down on you, dead proud!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Latest build, a cool bit of history....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx