gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 09:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  How long has the old school scene being going strong?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How long has the old school scene being going strong?  (Read 1271 times)

Trev

How long has the old school scene being going strong?
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:38 AM »

Was just wondering how long some of you guys have been into the Old School scene. i.e. building up 80's BMXs.
Have you been doing this since the 80's, since you started working and had some money or just recently?

Just seems to me that this element of BMX is really booming at the moment. Maybe it has a lot to do with this site bringing people together.

So when did you start on your first Old School build?

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: How long has the old school scene being going strong?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:46 AM »
For me it was three or four years ago, I can't really remember, I was on the old site & I was number 234 or something like that, but I know there were quite a few before me who were on Vintage before the days of RAD, I'm not sure how long Vintage has been going.

I did get back into BMX in the mid 90 but that was just riding.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:03 AM »
For me, its been 6 years and many of my bikes aren't complete!  :shocked: Blinking parts are getting harder to source, the right ones that is, not just make do. I am enjoying it though and met some great people on Rad as a consequence of it  :daumenhoch:

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:20 AM »
For me its been around 3 years into the old school scene, as for Radbmx i've only been a member for 2 yrs
but has been a good 2 yrs meeting and talking to loads of great people with the same interests.

I don't know when the old school scene started but have met some who have been collecting for many years

munners

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 10:29 AM »
Ive been collecting for just over 1 year but have always been mad on 80's bmx's. The love of the old days never really stopped for me. Ebay sucked me in when i was bored one Saturday afternoon. :LolLolLolLol: It was down hill from then on after buying a TA from Fishface!

I love it and this site is the nuts. ;)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 11:10 AM »
Got back into BMX's about 5 years ago now, was on Vintage before the bans and subsequent UK exodus.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 11:23 AM »
 :) I went to the Alans OS event at Sankey Bridge around 2001? Any other Radsters go there?

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:29 AM »
Never involved in BMX seriously as a kid BITD.. Just me on my Raleigh Extra Burner jumping home-made ramps made of a sheet of plywood and a few discarded house bricks... but I loved it!!! Watching the Kelloggs stuff and then racing outside my house singin "BMX boys have alot of fun.."  :D

Around 4 years ago, over a few drinks, me and some mates were talking about bikes we had as kids... and which was our favourites...

For me it was that Raleigh Extra Burner...  8)

2 days later I had won an eBay auction for a Raleigh Extra Burner...  :buck2: :buck2:

4 years later... 12 Burners, 2 None Burners, My own Burner Website & Forum.. www.burnerworldforum.co.uk , Old School Racing up and down the country. Worked with Raleigh on the 25th Anniversary Edition bike...  :daumenhoch: and my love of BMX is growing daily... Old School and New School...

I have met some fantastic guys over these years... especially at the OS race meets and at MK... in the main the guys from radbmx are a fantastic bunch..  :coolsmiley:

I hope the Old School Scene continues to go from Strength to Strength...  8) 8) 8)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 11:37 AM »
for me it all went wrong about 2004.......always been into MTBing from about 97 but always used to think it would be cool to have an old BMX.  so bored one afternoon at work (that doesn't narrow it down doesn it!  ;)  ) i typed in skyway into ebay and then old school bmx.  :shocked: :shocked:  my life has never quite been the same since  :D ;D

met some great guys from here as well............don't know how some of them manage to ride as much as they do though....but hats off to em!  i think i'd be divorced if i did the same!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 11:50 AM »
Left the bmx scene in about '87 and then got heavily into mountain biking from early to late 90's. Started watching the Gravity games on Extreme in 2000 and thought I'd love to get another one but people would laugh at me. Then found Vintage which led me to Rad a few months after it was first set up on the old site. Good days ever since.

moley

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 11:55 AM »
Not ridden a bike since 1985.  Was fat and really unfit so I started riding my old MTB in April 07 that I bought 14 years ago and only used about twice. 

I started to enjoy the riding and started getting fitter and then I found this site in August 07.  I bought a Quad Freestyler within 2 weeks.  I probably overpaid quite a bit for it, but I am really stupid!!!

I've spent a fortune on bikes and magazines since then.   I still haven't ridden my Quad,  apart from around the block.

Got a Coyotes Schizoid and a Haro Group 1 RS1 for racing OS Summer Series.

Looking forward to riding with a few lads.   I haven't been out on BMX's much because I haven't anyone to ride with.

I feel like a sad old so and so riding on my own, so I'm really looking forward to the OS Racing.

Started collecting magazines which was a huge mistake.  I can't stop now and it's costing a small fortune.

I'm not in control anymore, ebay caught me and I'm stuck in its headlights.

I'll only stop now when I run out of money or when someone commits me under the Mental Health Act.

I'm enjoying it too much.

JT71

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 11:59 AM »
I was never really into the BMX scene BITD. Our village had a crap little track, the only part of which we uses was a small table top that we'd pile tyres up on to see who could get over the most tyres. Saw a super tuff burner's chain stays part with the bottom braket shell on one particular flat landing and a compoud leg fracture on another.

for me as a kid, save for the above and a few dirt jumps/plank jumps, the BMX was just transport.

for a while I'd thought about getting a BMX and last May I asked on freecycle for a Raleigh Burner, just to use to go the shops on in the better weather and someone gave me one.

Now (many other bikes have been through my possesion) I have my stripped down super burner, a FLY new school, a Coyote new school, an old school Akisu frame that I'm planning to build, a raw streetbeat frame and forks, not sure what I'll do with that and a set of orange tuffs that I have no bike for. (mmm, tuffs and streetbeat...)

So I've not been into it for even a year yet, but hope to ride more if I can stay fit. Bad back getting better but think I've broken a finger playing five aside last night.  :'(

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 12:14 PM »
2000 , and there were maybe 40 of us collecting in the UK

only about 10 of us actually racing them

kirk

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 12:18 PM »
I was at the first Alans, never stopped being into the bikes since the 80`s, suppose got into the web based old school scene when I got online in 2000, am a very early member on Vintage, or as it was then oldschoolbmx.com. the UK member then were.

Me.
McNulty
Dingo
Max Farran
RetroGeezer
Cyclops
FilEbz
Alan Woods
Julian Torker
Greame
Ron Burgandy
Dan Dare
Waxintaxin

Other pioneers were  Stuntmaster, Viralto, Jazzeyj, Biaggio, if you can remember more please add as my old brain is numb,

I am so glad we bought all the parts then as I would be priced out of it now.

Wax is right about the racing, then it was done by us gents and it was a laugh, now its elbows and attitudes.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:21 PM by kirk »

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 12:39 PM »
I've always been bmxing, to a greater or lesser degree, since 1981.  I was still racing a DB Harry Leary Turbo at the Coppull National in 1996!  I got a GT Speed Series bike in early 1997 and that was when I stopped using my old 80's bikes and parts.  Like a lot of others on here I sold off a lot of my old stuff for buttons.  In 1994 I sold my graphite skyways for £55, in 2000 I sold my complete HL Turbo for £150, along with 401's. hutch pedals etc etc.  I only started thinking of building up another 80's bike when oldschool racing became a popular/regular thing.  Much as I think some of the show bikes look stunning, with amazing attention to detail, I'm only really interested in a bike which will be ridden.  The oldschool scene is a great way of hooking up with old riding buddies, as well as making loads of new friends and useful contacts along the way.

It's a shame we can't encourage more of the oldschool 'stars' along to the races.  I really wish I'd been able to get to some of Alans first races, lining up alongside Terry Lloyd and other guys I looked up to back in the day.  Maybe Tim March will come along to MK08.  Then 'Andy Ruffell' could kick his arse around a track, just like the 80's  :LolLolLolLol:  Ok, maybe not  :-[

zed4130

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 12:42 PM »
i rode bmx from 82-89 then started mtb'ing and road racing till 96 then, just rode for fun and i was drinking too much by then   :LolLolLolLol: sold my firebird in 1990 well gave it away, bought a haro 540 in 1999, picked up a db silversteak from a car booty about 2 years ago, found rad, sold the db too ratty, bought other bmx's since, and the rest is history, ive pretty much rode bikes now since i was 7 , i love bicycles in general, every type, there all great   :4_17_5:

Offline Bananaman

• BMX Nerd
  • Le Mans Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Back into it for about 3 or 4 years......one of the original members on the old site, in the first 100 from memory :4_17_5:

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 12:57 PM »
got back into Old School BMX collecting in Early 2005, but didn't buy a bike for over 6 months as I thought it was a FAD & a Waste of money !!  ;D :-[

eventually I bought a Hutch Trickstar Frameset for £100 in Sept 2005, as I thought sepnding £200 on a PK Looptail was too much !!  :D

spent a lot more since then.....
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

se bikes

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 01:00 PM »
14th April will be my 1 year Anniversary for the baptism of fire that is O/S BMX, am re building some of my old race bikes inc Patterson, Race Inc and my Titans plus a few extras...

Managed to get myself an O/S bloke n all  :wtf: happened there  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :smitten: :smitten:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:02 PM by OSS Queen »

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 01:00 PM »
I asked a similar question a while back , but mine was how big is this o/s building Globally , its blatently obvious its getting bigger, but what do u lot reckon, Globally?

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 01:27 PM »
1987: Stopped BMX  :(

Aug 2005: Purchased MTB to get fit. ..was rubbish purchase, couldn't do jumps etc >:(

Sept 2005: Thought about looking for a BMX ::)

Oct 2005 to date: Old skool/re-living the past :smitten:

Thanx Rad :daumenhoch:

Paul
Vans Style

DR VINOAH

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 03:08 PM »
old schooling BMX for 13 yrs now been at it since the mid 90,s

b4 the internet

and b4 i knew alans was still open

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 03:11 PM by V. Noah »

dialledbikes

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 03:49 PM »
Started collecting old school stuff in 1999/2000.  Stopped collecting old school stuff and sold most of it around 2003 when I started dialled bikes.

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Got back into OS bmx about 4 years ago now. Thanks to a mid school riding guy who worked for me. I was telling him how good the OS BMXs were and started searching for PK Rippers on ebay and the internet, which led me to RAD.

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 07:07 PM »
too true kirk on the please we bought the stuff then as yep never would have the collection i have if bought it now
no1stuntmaster on instagram

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  How long has the old school scene being going strong?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx