gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 10:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Body Armor
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Body Armor  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
Body Armor
« on: February 06, 2008, 09:44 PM »
Going to start racing this summer in the 30-39 cruiser class. Because I am no longer 15 and believe I am invincible, looking at getting some body armor can anyone recommend any?

I like the look of the 661 pressure suit anyone used this?

Is it as restrictive as it looks?

:daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Body Armor
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 09:48 PM »
I use it but have cut some off the top and bottom of the spine protector and now I cant tell I am wearing it  :daumenhoch:

Get one, your older and dont bounce as welll as you used to  :LolLolLolLol:

:) DINGO :)

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 09:51 PM »
I use it but have cut some off the top and bottom of the spine protector and now I cant tell I am wearing it  :daumenhoch:

Get one, your older and dont bounce as welll as you used to  :LolLolLolLol:

:) DINGO :)

;D

To fooking true, although the thick layer of blubber that has grown over the last 15 years may help  :2funny:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:53 PM »
Get one... they work :daumenhoch:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:55 PM »
Chain Reaction Cycles sell a body armour kit called Brand X. It's only about £60 and works very well indeed.

spillers#1

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:08 PM »
Yeah brand x  :daumenhoch: i wear the same as zippy and its a nice body armour £60 chain reaction.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 10:17 PM »
i use 661 body armour and i love it.

i've got some troy lee designs elbow pads for sale. £10 a pop. i've got four sets if anyones interested

Rooonga

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:20 PM »
I have the brand x one too.

Excellent quality, and well cheap compared to other brands.

spillers#1

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 10:24 PM »
As tested by roonga  :daumenhoch: crash or win paul roonga  ;)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 10:41 PM »
I use Brand X also.  Would recommend it.

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 08:48 AM »
Cheers for the info  :daumenhoch: picking my new ride up on Sunday from Bulwell so its back in training........ :D

wussy67

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 12:45 PM »
i use 661 body armour and i love it.

i've got some troy lee designs elbow pads for sale. £10 a pop. i've got four sets if anyones interested

what type of armpad are they any pics please may have a set of you :daumenhoch:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 01:21 PM »
As tested by roonga  :daumenhoch: crash or win paul roonga  ;)

but mainly crash. :LolLolLolLol:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 03:10 PM »
661 :daumenhoch: unbelievably comfortable and unresticting

spillers#1

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Right i've done some testing for you today at daggers race and can recomend brand x body armour  :daumenhoch:

Longun

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 08:43 PM »
Right i've done some testing for you today at daggers race and can recomend brand x body armour  :daumenhoch:
:LolLolLolLol:   I can certainly vouch for the thoroughness of his testing.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 08:52 PM »

I'm intrigued by this and having read poor Southern Andy's post where a few peeps suggested body armour would have possibly prevented his collarbone from breaking it's making me wonder.  How does/would body armour prevent serious injuries and does it really work?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 08:58 PM »
the best body armour from day today riding is shin pads, knees and elbow, say no more :daumenhoch:

thing is apart from racing and mainly old skool, no one wears upper body armour today :(
For powder coating drop me a pm

dialledbikes

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 09:06 PM »

I'm intrigued by this and having read poor Southern Andy's post where a few peeps suggested body armour would have possibly prevented his collarbone from breaking it's making me wonder.  How does/would body armour prevent serious injuries and does it really work?

It depends how the slam happens, Marty.  Sometimes, if people put their arms out to try and land on their hands in a crash, it can send the shock up the arm and break the collarbone that way.  Pads can't really do anything about that.

But if the collarbone gets broken by the shoulder hitting the deck, the pads can absorb the shock or deflect the impact in a different direction.  Best example I can give is if you put a phone book on somebody's head and then hit it with a hammer, chances are they'll just get a headache.  If you take the phone book away and hit them with the hammer, they'll get a cracked skull.

I think Spillers would be hurting a lot more today though if he hadn't been padded up.  His over the bars in Moto 2 was one of the hardest slams of the day.

hooga1975

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 09:11 PM »

[/quote]

His over the bars in Moto 2 was one of the hardest slams of the day.

[/quote]

it was also the funniest :2funny:

Flying_fox

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 09:25 PM »

Well, I read it only takes 9lbs of pressure at the right angle to break a collar bone, so I don't think you can say "it will stop it", more like "it might stop it". I've seen collar bones broken in body armour, but I've seen more broken with out it.

I still don't wear it even after breaking collar bones a few times, twice even last year. I just don't like wearing it... I won some 661 stuff at a 4X race a few years ago, it's in my loft in a bin liner if anyone wants to buy it. I just feel like a honey monster in it.

spillers#1

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 09:27 PM »

His over the bars in Moto 2 was one of the hardest slams of the day.

[/quote]

it was also the funniest :2funny:
[/quote]F**k off hooga  ;D definatley definatley wearing body armour cuts down the risks of injury  :daumenhoch: i went down hard on my shoulder/arms/front/back and can honestly say i felt as right as rain,i had a similiar crash last year at the regional at daggers and came down heavy on my shoulder and it is still not good now  :( i wasn't wearing armour and it hurt.I wear knee and shin pads with the body armour and apart from aching a bit they did there job  :daumenhoch: at 40 years old i want to cut down the risk of injury,i was at full speed when i hit the step up and launch straight over bars and without protection i would have been...1.cut to shreds 2.battered and bruised to f**k  :crazy2:

spillers#1

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 09:29 PM »
it won't stop you braking your collarbone if you land with your arms out  :buck2: but it helps in every other case  :daumenhoch:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 09:40 PM »
Note to self, Don't wish Spillers luck before a race.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 09:41 PM »
Cheers guys, worth knowing and considering oif I do enter the odd race or two  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Body Armor

gfxgfx
gfx gfx