gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 10:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic Question
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Oxalic Question  (Read 525 times)

lcfc

Oxalic Question
« on: January 31, 2008, 03:34 PM »

Once you have done whatever you are doing with the oxalic can it be stored away in a sealed drum and used again or does it lose its alien technology powers of restoration??

bridgecity

Re: Oxalic Question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:57 PM »
I actually tried this.
it settles out of the mixture and creates a white residue on the bottom.
eventually i decided it wasn't safe to leave around, smelled slightly funky so I dumped it.
the crystals are so inexpensive it was easier to just create a new batch as needed.

lcfc

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 03:23 AM »

Inexpensive!!  :wtf: £20 a pop is my idea of real fooking expensive.

That white crap in the bottom though i find slightly worrying as it is there from the start, it appears to be the actual crystals themselves. Whats that all about? Am i doing it wrong? Should the crystals dissolve as mine do not appear to be doing so, and to be honest dont seem to be shifting alot of rust neither. Should they be put into hot water or cold water?

bridgecity

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 07:03 PM »
hmmm, here in the US you can order a 7 pound tub for 13 dollars US.  from the online chemistry sites.

cold water should be just fine.  sounds like the concentration of acid isn't high enough if rust isn't disappearing.
you should see rust results in as little as a few hours.

I just swirl the mixture a couple of times a day.
One time I left some spokes in the solution for a few weeks. didn't hurt them but a green residue formed that had to be wiped off.

lcfc

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 02:37 PM »

Ok, thanks for that, just so long as i now know i am not fooking the process up completely. :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic Question

gfxgfx
gfx gfx