gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  Hersden???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hersden???  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Hersden???
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:40 AM »
Got told yesterday that there won't be any Summer Series at Hersden this year. :'(

All races will now shift to Herne Bay instead.

Personally I'll really miss the little place as it was my reintroduction to the sport.

I hope they do run some rounds there though as it has a special character that I know we all love.

dialledbikes

Re: Hersden???
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:49 AM »
So will Hersden merge with Herne Bay to form a new/bigger club?

Hopefully the track won't be lost forever due to lack of use.

hooga1975

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:59 AM »
is it because they are extending the track?

Twinkle

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 09:09 AM »
Ah it'll be a real shame if Hersden doesnt get used for at least a couple of races.  Its a great track to start the little uns off on.

I'll be really pleasantly surprised if they do extend it now they have Herne Bay track just up the road.

se bikes

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 09:25 AM »
I think there were plans to make Hersden a bit bigger, dont know if that's still going to happen tho.

It'll be a real shame not having races there, it makes for great OS racing and the little peeps love it :daumenhoch:

I hope that Herne Bays opening is not going to signal move away from Hersden, there's room for both and they both have a lot of good things to offer :daumenhoch:

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 09:50 AM »
 :'(

can't see why they can't co-exist
other than the same people can't be in 2 places at once

but then i don't know much TBH  ::)
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

KGB Matt

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 03:52 PM »
I hope they do use Hersden as Chloe' and Nicholas both cut their teeth on that track and both have come on immensely.

It's a good little track for introducing kids to BMX and a class track for old school racing.

Hopefully they can co exist .

Matt

oldskoolsux

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 05:11 PM »
All races will now shift to Herne Bay instead.

Who Told you that?, It's nothing the commitee are aware of at Herne bay!

Maybe Justin will let us know what is going on with hersden, Will be a shame for it not to go ahead, some fun days spent up there.
I am going to see Terry from the Youth club over next few days, so will see if he knows anything also
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:18 PM by oldskoolsux »

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 06:06 PM »
i dont think theres any worries about hersden being left or merged into the eastkent clubs new track , one is a youth club track and while the youth clubs still stands so will the track and its riders , where the hernebay/eastkent track is a new school track and one of the best in the country , and will have its own races series and riders .
plenty of room for 2 local races series as both will atracked different type of riders.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 08:02 PM »
I hope we can race there again because it's the home of one of the best and oldest run old school series in the UK. :daumenhoch:

24Mhz_Cruiser

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Just out of interest, is anyone currently looking after the Hersden track, i.e. resurfacing it and sorting out any holes/ruts? Last time I was there, a massive trough was starting to appear on the finish line which was looking a bit shady. I would have thought the track will need a good going over to get it running sweet again.

We used to do it all the maintenance a while back, but I'm afraid looking after Herne Bay now demands our full attention.

Also, we've only actually seen 1 or 2 Hersden locals since the Herne Bay track opened so there's nothing to suggest that they will abandon the Hersden track/races.

Like oldskoolsux says, this isn't anything to do with the East Kent crew. Justin and Tony have always been responsible for running the Hersden races and it's up to them whether or not they decide to carry on doing so. I hope they do...

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 08:06 PM »
Curious this one Zippy, hope I haven't fuelled a thought in someones' mind as the result of an off-the-cuff remark - got me wondering, so who was your source??  PM me.  As for the Hersden/Herne Bay topic I always envisaged that Hersden would be a feeder track to the Bay with new riders cutting their teeth on a small track before graduating to a bigger more challenging track.  Personally I hope that Hersden can continue with their Series but that's probably down to Terry, Tony & Justin to decide.  The works at the Bay continue but the weather has caused some schedule slippage so we're waiting to hear when works will be finished so that an opening event can be arranged in line with whatever the local Council want.  Interesting times ahead.  Humps

oldskoolsux

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 12:24 PM »
Just had a quick look at the Hersden track and it's not in too bad condition. There are a few ruts and bare spots but nothing major.

As 24Mhz_Cruiser said EastKentBmx used to look after the maintainence of the track but due to commitments with Herne Bay we can no longer do this.

But there is no reason why a few of the regulars from over the years can't get together to get it sorted, there is pile of spare surface available and a wacker plate only cost about £20 for a days hire. Im sure Terry from the youth club wont mind stumping up a bit of cash to help out. With a few people it would only take a day!

jazzyje

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 07:26 PM »
tony, terry and i have every intention of running a summer series this year.we will obviously work around what herne bay are doing so as not to clash.
  we are looking at maybe putting on more saturday races this year as there will be so many races elsewhere that i will want to race and tony will want to commentate.we will concentrate on getting the younger ones into the sport and then sending them off to herne bay as and when they feel ready.were gonna push the under 5's and junior classes and old skool this year as this is where our our little club lies in the grand scheme of things.
   whoever turns up its still a pretty good day out and tony,terry and i always have a laugh and enjoy it.when it aint fun i'll hand it over.we'll be going random on the gate and the box is off in the post to be sorted .the track has stood up pretty well over the winter and is still the 3rd best presented track in the south.it will have the worst of the faults sorted for race day but if you think i'm going over there in the middle of january to sort it you can think again.some dry weekends a roller and some surface and its done.
   at the moment we are waiting for the regional dates to be announced then we can get our heads together and work out our dates.
   watch this space and dont listen to tittle tattle.tony and i ar'nt hard to find.look forward to another great season and days like the 103 riders we had for the end of series race.
   remember you still get the biggest trophies at hersden plus the only club that hands out prizes for all classes at every race.all for just £2.50(unless your oldschool,but you guys have got pots of cash)

spillers#1

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Top stuff justin  :daumenhoch: hersden is a brilliant place for the youngsters to learn on and last year we had fantastic meetings there  :4_17_5:

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Glad to hear that justin

all you guys do a great job  :daumenhoch:
cheers Kev

Twinkle

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 09:16 PM »
Thats great news  :)  :4_17_5:

Wanted to put a pic up here of my kids on their first bikes at Hersden but cant get it to work  :-[

rory

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 09:31 PM »
im sure hersden will carry on , its a fun place :)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 09:36 PM »
Hersden rocks, the crew at hersden are second to none, Im well pleased its gonna stay as is :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 12:15 AM »
Great news Justin. Pop in for a chat because I'm sure I can get Raleigh to put their hands in their pockets and sponser a race meeting. :daumenhoch:

KGB Matt

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Same track 6 months apart ..

Spot the difference.

Nick at Hersden in April 07

Nick At hersden in Oct 07

He has come on really well and all thanks to the little track that is big fun.
 :daumenhoch: :LolLolLolLol: :4_17_5:

Matt

TK The Mic

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 08:20 AM »
I can only assume that the rumour was put about , was due to the fact that we have been pretty quiet on the Hersden front since October.
We haven't had winter races for a couple of years now , this is because we want to preserve the track as best we can.
Also , people might have come to the conclusion , that now Herne Bay are up and running, Hersden would be on the shelf. This is not true, as Justin said , myself , Justin and Terry are still as enthusiastic as ever to put on another successful Summer Series, which will be our fourth.
I would also like to point out that we are giving Herne Bay our full support, and if they need any help in any way, Steve and Russ know where we are.
Hope the doubts have now been cleared up.

TK

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 10:42 AM »
 :daumenhoch:

cheers tony
cheers Kev

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 10:57 AM »
Kev, can you update Meddle when Hersden's race series is announced. Especially now that he's cast himself into the wilderness.  :LolLolLolLol:

Tony, I was speaking to Justin yesterday at Daggers and as and when you need some extra hands to help with repair work to the track then just PM me and I'll come over and try and bring some more help as well.  :daumenhoch:

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 11:15 AM »
i will give him a nudge when the time is right

hopefully the lure of hersden will birng him and the great white whale he drives
out of the wilderness
cheers Kev

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  Hersden???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx