gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 07:12 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  WHAT WOULD YOU DO???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WHAT WOULD YOU DO???  (Read 1589 times)

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
WHAT WOULD YOU DO???
« on: January 24, 2008, 11:51 AM »
right im just thinking out loud here.
at the moment we are in the lucky position to have a significant
amount of cash sat in a savings account :)
its there because at some point we are going to expand our business and
moved into a unit,
but the money has sat there doing nothing for nearly a year
and it doesn't look like we will need it any time soon.
with all the recent financial uncertainty it got me thinking, would i be
better investing it in something that will worth while?

what do you think of me buying parts as an investment? all the stuff i have
bought oer the last 2 years has doubled in price and it doesn't seem to be slowing down :shocked:
now dont get me wrong im not thinking of cashing in on the scene i just think it would be a more enjoyable
way of investing some money :) :)
do you think its a good idea?
or do you think i could loose a fortune??
DISCUSS :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:56 AM »
Its risky as hell , as soon as a ressession hits , then kids bikes will be first to be sold, however you are right that if you look at the market over the last few years then it has risen at a huge % rate year on year

I wouldnt do it cos it sounds like the money is intwined in the bussiness and that would be a hard thing to lose

but ,as a shifty little sod once said

he who dares rodders , he who dares

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:58 AM »
The big question would be:

If you got loads of very very nice BMX parts, then they doubled in value ..... would you ever want to sell them again!?

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:15 PM »

Very true and things I think will get to a point where people can't afford certain parts so if you wanted to shift them you might not be able to? Just a thought of course... Personally and I work for myself too, if I had a shed load of cash in the bank I simply would take it out, stick it into various high savings accounts for 6 months and watch it grow. You could always take out a grand a enjoy it, but I wouldn't spend a grand now on bike parts but instead on ourselves like a nice holiday which we deserve...  The decision is yours at the end of the day mate but I would stress, use your money wisely  :daumenhoch:

The big question would be:

If you got loads of very very nice BMX parts, then they doubled in value ..... would you ever want to sell them again!?

dialledbikes

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 12:15 PM »
Doesn't sound like a great money making plan/business idea to me.  But it depends how much money you're talking about and how much you want to make.

What's your current business?  Why not use the money to expand that now?  Or start another business where you could leverage your current experience/contacts/assets/etc to diversify.

Whenever I have any spare cash, I bring out a new model of MTB or BMX frame so I expand my range and potentially appeal to a wider market.

I think recent price rises have shown that OS bike stuff can make money, but it's a volatile market, and stuff is only worth what people are prepared to pay at the time you sell (assuming someone knows you're selling it in the first place).

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:35 PM »
Do you have a mortgage? If you do, I'd consider changing to an offset mortgage (my opinion)  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:44 PM »
SPOLER ALERT - I AM ABOUT TO PREDICT THE FUTURE -  IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW ( just like sport on the news) LOOK AWAY NOW

leave your money where it is...or if you have a mortgage, deffo change to an offset.

when the recession hits, which it will ( hard ), all sorts will happen...primarily,house prices will start coming off in chunks, people will panic and start worrying about all the nice things they've bought with the remortgage money, which they can no longer afford, this alone will slow peoples spending right down....

other factors to consider

petrol will continue to rise , as there isnt any more of it in the ground,...food prices will continue to rise as the cost of producing and more importantly the cost of transportion of food  increases (massively).. old tesco and sainsburies will sure as shit not be taking a hit of there profits, so we'll ge the bill and then some......gas/electric prices are on the rise so more money to find there also.....

people will look to tighten their belts...bmx parts will stop getting bought, and more will come to market as people try and cover costs within household....

even if they try not too, resistance is futile as birds will start moaning like fook, and it'll happen jsut to shut em up....

countries economies wil start to falter, the west will go to war with the middle east on all fronts ( economic and political initially) in an attempt to secure its energy, this will fail and global guerilla warfare will ensue, the west will conveniently call this terrorism to create fear and get the support it needs to continue trying to secure its energy

or has this already happened?

anyway, after that, it goes down hill pretty rapid..underdevloped countries get raped of remaining assets, goods go to highest bidders and its ever decreasing circles from there on in....cars become worthless, as no one can afford to run em anymore, food becomes a luxury as transportation companies have to increase there bills by multiples as opposed to percentages and your bmx will be your main mode of transport

me? i'm buying some high powered air rifles and going on a survival course with ray mears...and  start growing me own vegg and get some chickens....

the future is so bright, i gotta wear shades...(literally, as i forgot to mention global warming)

global meltdown here we come... :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:59 PM by J.T »

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 12:58 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:  That's wicked   :LolLolLolLol:

I don't think it will be quite that dramatic, but I'd agree on the 'bullit points'  :-X

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 01:01 PM »
SPOLER ALERT - I AM ABOUT TO PREDICT THE FUTURE -  IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW, EITHER LOOK AWAY NOW

leave your money where it is...or if you have a mortgage, deffo change to an offset.

when the recession hits, which it will ( hard ), all sorts will happen...primarily,house prices will start coming off in chunks, people will panic and start worrying about all the nice things they've bought with the remortgage money, which they can no longer afford, this alone will slow peoples spending right down....

other factors to consider

petrol will continue to rise , as there isnt any more of it in the ground,...food prices will continue to rise as the cost of producing and more importantly the cost of transportion of food  increases (massively).. old tesco and sainsburies will sure as shit not be taking a hit of there profits, so we'll ge the bill and then some......gas/electric prices are on the rise so more money to find there also.....

people will look to tighten their belts...bmx parts will stop getting bought, and more will come to market as people try and cover costs within household....

even if they try not too, resistance is futile as birds will start moaning like fook, and it'll happen jsut to shut em up....

countries economies wil start to falter, the west will go to war with the middle east on all fronts ( economic and political initially) in an attempt to secure its energy, this will fail and global guerilla warfare will ensue, the west will conveniently call this terrorism to create fear and get the support it needs to continue trying to secure its energy

or has this already happened?

anyway, after that, it goes down hill pretty rapid..underdevloped countries get raped of remaining assets, goods go to highest bidders and its ever decreasing circles from there on in....cars become worthless, as no one can afford to run em anymore, food becomes a luxury as transportation companies have to increase there bills my much multiples as opposed to percentages and your bmx will be your main mode of transport

me? i'm buying some high powered air rifles and going on a survival course with ray mears...and  start growing me own vegg and get some chickens....

the future is so bright, i gotta wear shades...(literally, as i forgot to mention global warming)

global meltdown here we come... :daumenhoch:

Have you got this penned in for next week or the week after? Its just that I am busy on Tuesday and did not want to miss it.

Offline dwain dibbly

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 01:03 PM »
we all worry about the future, and sit back waiting for it to happen.

then we suddenly realise we've been sat waiting for so long

all we have is the memory of an uncertain future :-\
JESUS CHRIST THATS DEEP!!!!!!!
 :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

i dont tend to worry about whats going to happen im more afraid of
not doing something and then wishing i had ::)

the plan is not to really make much profit just to enjoy the money rather than
it just sat there.
yes i know i could invest in a highinterest interbondisathingy but wheres the enjoyment?
and yes i could take money out and spend it on something i'd enjoy but that would be bikes ;D

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 01:07 PM »
25-30 years, the world will be a very different place....

joing the TA wont be such an attractive proposition as it once was...

leave the money where it is mate....for now...capitalise on other peoples misery!!

you'll still have the dosh when other people need it..that gives you the control.

now thats deep!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:11 PM by J.T »

Lazarou

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 01:10 PM »

yes i know i could invest in a highinterest interbondisathingy

These dudes must be brilliant! Look at the queue!  :shocked:

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 01:15 PM »
Are they all there for that job in the window?

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 01:24 PM »
probably...its for a greeter, like they have in asda,

' due to unprecedented levels of footfall's,  we are in desperate need  of a new greeter..must have good interpersonal skills and have selective deafness when it comes to questions of a sensitive nature..above all, you must be able to keep smiling, especially when the crowd turns on you, and you have to face old people 3 inches from you face .with halitosis, and who are that angry, small projectiles of spittle will land all over you, your polyester shirt and clip on tie, and of course your 'hello and welcome, my name is derek' badge.

pay is uncertain, as there is every chance we will go skint prior to your first due pay package...

promotion prospects excellent...if your any good, we'll roll you out as the CEO and blame the fooking lot on you :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:25 PM by J.T »

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 01:30 PM »
J.T. I have to admit I do agree with nearly all your bullet points and yes the future IS uncertain and quite worrying  :'(

But also, I think we all have to make the best of our own situation and if you can afford to splash out without the longterm worry, then do it, its your life, enjoy it while you can  ;)

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 01:37 PM »
twas tongue in cheek obviosuly, but the fundematals are absolutely bang on...id' hate to see anyone work hard to have a lump in the bank and get caught unawares in an uncertqin economic climate...

a ying and a yang, so to speak ???

and obviously only my opinion...i honestly think the scale of the energy crisis is being supressed, and that govenrments are happy for it to be that way...let people worry about climate change blah blah blah....

thing is, when the oil runs out, the polution will theoretically stop,certainly from the burning of fossil fuels, so my theory is the politicians are kind of hoping the world will sort itself out then...nature finds a way type thing...

by which time, everything will be be atomic, so cool, as long as you forget about the waste product....

sooner we start terraforming, the better....

buying bmx parts isnt on my list as good solid long term investment based on all of the above!  :LolLolLolLol:

keep it lit!

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 01:49 PM »

:wtf:

become a money lender, its great :daumenhoch:

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 02:02 PM »

:wtf:

become a money lender, its great :daumenhoch:

butt its a hassle, and you've got to be a bit :idiot2: in order to keep your books balanced...

thats if i'm on the same wave length as to the type of 'money lending' your on about 8)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 02:13 PM »
i have a bit saved ,so in the last few months i paid of 1/2 my mortgage
and now can sit back and relax alot more .
its what you want as you quality of life is the question you need to ask yourself as i did.

do i want to work hard after money all my life .
do i want to say fook it they odd day
do i not want so much stress
i myself want my 30s 40s and 50s  to be my easier times when im young enough to enjoy life.
if you save a bit then that will help out in later life ,when you shouldnt need so much and to fooked to do alot.

well thats just all my thoughts  dan

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 02:21 PM »
We've just got this new house and its a big stretch and payments are more but our aim is to pay off nearly the whole mortgage within 8 to 10 years, so by the time I'm in my early 40's, we can both hopefully relax a bit more and not stress so much and then we'll probably sell up and take it easy, well that's the plan anyway!  :coolsmiley:

Again as I said, do what you think is right! Good thread by the way  ;)

JT71

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 02:26 PM »
buy a load of Nissan Figaros, they are a used car that actually appreciates each year.  :daumenhoch:

or buy a load of smack, cut it with talc and punt it out.

munners

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 02:37 PM »
Just so you know guys......and i aint scaring ya here. :shocked:

I trace people for banks and building societies, car finance firms too. Not nice i know.

You would not believe how many houses are being repossessed at the moment as people cannot afford to pay off their mortgages.

People have been borrowing far too much and its the banks that are to blame. We all know that so there is nothing new there. But.......... it is a mirror image of the early 90's. If the property market crashes then the UK will be in turmoil as a vast number of people have invested heavily into their homes over recent years.

I dont have savings as i have ploughed everything into my house. I am lucky that i have large equity in it but at the moment i wouldnt mind selling up and having money in the bank, going into rented accom and seeing which way the tide turns!

If i was you John i would hold tight mate.  ;)

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 02:38 PM »
Here's my 1 step plan to financial success (not that you should listen to me or anything)

• Reduce the interest rates you pay and increase the interest rates you earn

If you have credit cards you pay interest on - change them to 0% ones (but don't keep spending money you don't have)

If you have a SVR mortgage - change it to either a Fixed, capped, discount or an Offset (if you have a decent amount of savings)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 03:22 PM by Moose »

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 02:46 PM »
Just so you know guys......and i aint scaring ya here. :shocked:

I trace people for banks and building societies, car finance firms too. Not nice i know.

You would not believe how many houses are being repossessed at the moment as people cannot afford to pay off their mortgages.

People have been borrowing far too much and its the banks that are to blame. We all know that so there is nothing new there. But.......... it is a mirror image of the early 90's. If the property market crashes then the UK will be in turmoil as a vast number of people have invested heavily into their homes over recent years.

I dont have savings as i have ploughed everything into my house. I am lucky that i have large equity in it but at the moment i wouldnt mind selling up and having money in the bank, going into rented accom and seeing which way the tide turns!

If i was you John i would hold tight mate.  ;)

are you like the equaliser ???

munners

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 03:46 PM »
What a program that was!

Na..... im better!  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx