gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 12:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  “MY” Prince Albert’s
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: “MY” Prince Albert’s  (Read 1341 times)

SaMAlex

“MY” Prince Albert’s
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:54 PM »

Sometime around 1995 I drove down to Hasting (Backyard) to get a package that had been sent to me from S&M. It was a set of mk2 Prince Albert cranks and a red shafted redneck stem. I used the cranks for years, Im not even sure why I took them off my bike. I think it must have been cos of the worry of them breaking even though they had always been fine. In around 1998 I changed to profiles (the same set Ive got on my bike now) and took off the Prince Albert’s.

Around that time I built up a 24” Challenger so I put the Prince Albert’s on that. I used it all the time for riding around town and often left it locked up outside in all weathers. Ive recently started giving the 24” a rebuild and this has included giving the cranks a proper seeing to.

The cranks were chrome when I got them but I don’t like chrome so I hand sprayed them red. The paint was only a thin coat over shinny chrome so it was easily removed with a Stanley knife blade and a wire brush. I gave the chrome a bit of a polish and oiled the splines and threads, and they were done. Finally I put on a set of new stickers (Del is the MAN!) and they are good to go! Not bad at all for a set 13 year old cranks that have spent the last 10 years as good as outside!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: MY Prince Alberts
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:00 PM »
Beauty.  I love a good story, me.  :)

The quality is definately there in those eh?   :daumenhoch:

rory

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:03 PM »
alex , u lucky barsteward, im never gonna get a set of those ,
oh well.haha :)

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:10 PM »
alex , u lucky barsteward, im never gonna get a set of those

Rory, I dont want to tell you how many sets Ive got now! Those are the set I got when they were first out so they are my favs.

There are still pairs of them about, Ive heard of 2 sets being sold last year. The next set I get will come your way Rory, for sure .... well, if Dan doesnt get them first! haha.

rarman1

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:31 PM »
i guess that S&M must have used very good chromers to do their parts, my frame was very dull and lifeless and covered in water stains, but a going over and it's come up lovely.......

just like your cranks :)

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:48 PM »
i think what that means alex is, you obviously didn't ride hard enough! ;D

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 11:52 PM »

Yep, I aint that hard on bike parts. I have broken the most parts from crashing and by bike falling off the ramp, not from hard riding! Thinking about it, I mght well have had only 3 sets of cranks over the last 16 years! But I'll put it down to being dead smooooooth!

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 11:56 PM »
i new the 'smooth' was coming.

i use the same excuse myself, i'm the same though. i've only ever bent one profile (gt) arm and a set of t1 bars.

i guess its our silky tech riding!

RyanPartridge

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 02:08 AM »
Awsome!

I kick myself for selling my red ones. If those stickers are repops they turned out perfect!  :smitten:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 08:51 AM »
nice one alex they came out proper nice  :4_17_5:

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 09:02 AM »
Beauties  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 09:11 AM »
If those stickers are repops they turned out perfect!

The original stickers were on a clear rectangle backing that covered most of the side of the crank arm. Del the magician made stickers that are cut out so you dont get the horrid clear surrounding the print. I had an un used original sticker so we were able to get a good match.

Im surprised that no one spotted that I put the sticker on the BACK of the left arm! (you're normaly a sharp eyed bunch). I put it on and then saw that the pedal thread was on the other side. Doh!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 08:33 PM by S&MAlex »

yoda

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 11:16 AM »

Yep, I aint that hard on bike parts. I have broken the most parts from crashing and by bike falling off the ramp, not from hard riding! Thinking about it, I mght well have had only 3 sets of cranks over the last 16 years! But I'll put it down to being dead smooooooth!
Its got nowt to do with you being about 9 stone either then Alex  ::)

groover247

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 08:30 PM »
alex,

putting the stickers there may not be original, but they will last longer.

good placement in my eyes, and quality copies.

sutty

Miko

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 10:17 PM »
I wish I had a set of those.  I actually know of a bike with them, but it's too much money and too far away from me.   :'(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  “MY” Prince Albert’s

gfxgfx
gfx gfx