gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 07:11 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Stu Thomsen Huffy
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stu Thomsen Huffy  (Read 7121 times)

dialledbikes

Stu Thomsen Huffy
« on: January 16, 2008, 09:05 AM »
I remember one of the lads we rode with had quite a cool Huffy Stu Thomsen signature frame.  Made of aerodynamic/teardrop shaped tubing.  Probably the best frame that Huffy ever made.  I'm surprised I haven't seen any of them on here yet.  Were they really that rare?  Or did they all break?

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Stu Thomsen Huffy
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 09:24 AM »
Did thet sell over here ?

Not really a sought after make over this side of the pond Mike, bit like DP Firebirds in the US  :-\
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Frosty

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:26 AM »
for that matter Bill they weren't that really sought after in the US either :LolLolLolLol:

dialledbikes

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 11:18 AM »
The one my mate Dean had was the only one I ever saw in the UK.  I'm pretty sure he got it over here though as none of our crowd were going overseas back in the 80s.  It seemed like a nice bike and I'm pretty sure the tubing was Tange teardrop or similar quality.  As I say, it was the only Huffy I ever liked.

Strange company Huffy, had the means and ability to make good stuff (look at the team they had when they re-merged for a while in the 90s:  Cory Nastazio, Randy Stumpfhauser, Chris Sanchez, etc), but just wanted to make a quick buck every time they came back to BMX by selling mostly cheap quality stuff.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 11:24 AM »
i remember a story BITD that either Huffy or team Murry made a titanium (or similar) f/f for a few of its riders.

don't really know why ive posted that info, it just sprang to mind reading this thread :D

Offline AtariAger

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 01:56 PM »
Here ya go guys...always wanted one back then...never got it though.

http://www.bmxmuseum.com/bikes/huffy/9094

http://www.bmxmuseum.com/bikes/huffy/3362

dialledbikes

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 02:08 PM »
Mmmmmm :-\  maybe the one my mate had wasn't a Stu Thomsen after all, cos his was aero/teardrop tubing (matte black finish) and was supposed to be top of the range at the time (so had assumed that would be the Stu Thomsen model).

It looked liked this one http://www.bmxmuseum.com/bikes/huffy/9226 , but I'm sure it was later than 1981 when he got it (probably more like 83/84).

zed4130

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 02:10 PM »
I remember stu's grey one, not a great looking bike  :-\

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 03:16 PM »
It looked liked this one http://www.bmxmuseum.com/bikes/huffy/9226 , but I'm sure it was later than 1981 when he got it (probably more like 83/84).

Were Huffy really doing teardrop tubes in '81?   ???

I expect your date is probably closer Mike.

dialledbikes

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 03:18 PM »
Which years did Stu ride for Huffy?

My dates are all messed up!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 03:38 PM »
Which years did Stu ride for Huffy?

My dates are all messed up!

I thought it was about 84 onwards  :-\

Better to crash and burn than fade away

woody allen bars

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 04:06 PM »
Stu went to Huffy 83/84, and I think the aero tubed bikes are from around the same time.

In the UK we got the Thunder models early on with the Thruster style gusset at the headtube and the box bars, plus Lester alloy mags on certain models, believe that was around '81. At the time the Huffy was the low end option in the same league as the Puch-Murrays and the Piranha. Ken Pliska was trying to give one away the other day, 'take it away or I'll take it to the dump'.

Frosty

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 04:12 PM »
I do remember my brother had a huffy that came stock with z rims with a coater hub, can't recall what it was called but it was red with blue zeds and components - it weighed a ton

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 05:21 PM »
Stu Thomsen fulfilled his commitments to Redline in December 1983 and rode Huffy Factory Team Colours from 1st January 1984.

..According to Linn Kasten,Redlines' president "the reason Stu is goin' is down to more money for Stu..And HUFFY is buying credibility."
Stu commented "it's just time for a change"

(as reported in BMX Action USA issue March 1984 page 6 - though why they took 3 months to tell everyone who knows..)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 09:04 PM »
Stu Thomsen fulfilled his commitments to Redline in December 1983 and rode Huffy Factory Team Colours from 1st January 1984.

..According to Linn Kasten,Redlines' president "the reason Stu is goin' is down to more money for Stu..And HUFFY is buying credibility."
Stu commented "it's just time for a change"

(as reported in BMX Action USA issue March 1984 page 6 - though why they took 3 months to tell everyone who knows..)

March edition would have been available mid Feb, which means that the editorial edition for printing would have been completed early to mid Jan, so not really 3 months it seems that way  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 08:20 AM »
Was wandering around the dot com Museum last night and came across this http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/huffy/9094/1

So they did release a Stu sig bike in his first year with them..'84

I know someone who still has one of these in original white survivor condition tucked away in their garage. Hmmmmm....  ???

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 04:55 PM »
Found this great AD of Stu in my mag scans too...  :daumenhoch:

Check out the front 'n rear & wheel reflectors..bet he didnt race the 85 ABA Grands with those on  ;D

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Stu Thomsen Huffy

gfxgfx
gfx gfx