gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 07:42 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Front brake doesnt work... (first post)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Front brake doesnt work... (first post)  (Read 936 times)

Ringo

Front brake doesnt work... (first post)
« on: December 09, 2007, 07:56 PM »
Hi,

Yesterday i picked up my most recent ebay purchase - a GT performer. Hence today, my first post on here!!!

I havent had a BMX for 20 years and have been considering getting one for a while now - anyway, spotted a bargain on ebay and i've got to say im chuffed to bits. Its not A1 - a bit of rust here and there - but thats fine by me.

Anyway, everything works well - that is all apart from the front brake. Its like the brake blocks arent working - they just slip on the skyways.

Do you guys now of any top tips to get these working ? Do i need special blocks?

Thanks in advance,

Ringo

selfpreservation

Re: Front brake doesnt work... (first post)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 08:08 PM »
loose some weight or get spokes  :LolLolLolLol:  no seriously get some new cables check the blocks they may need replacing , check the brake calipers are they clean , movments correct ect , some people recommend putting cola on the rims, failing that get on the atkins your not 10 anymore  :LolLolLolLol:

Ringo

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 09:52 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: Hee hee - how do you know that im a fat biffer ?

Cheers for that - will try the coke...

Ringo

loose some weight or get spokes  :LolLolLolLol:  no seriously get some new cables check the blocks they may need replacing , check the brake calipers are they clean , movments correct ect , some people recommend putting cola on the rims, failing that get on the atkins your not 10 anymore  :LolLolLolLol:

MeddlE

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 11:23 PM »
Get the new Skyway Tuff Pads brake blocks, made by Kool Stop, 3-in-1 oil your inner brake cable, make sure everything moves as it should.

Ringo

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 11:09 AM »
Sorry for asking such dumb ass questions - but where is the best place to get some of these from ? A google shows up these:

http://www.vert-ego.com/main.htm

£12 for the kool stop ones...

In my day, i would just pop over to super cycle discount in Nottingham and pick some up - or just pick an advert from one of the many mags i had lying around!

Cheers

Ringo

Get the new Skyway Tuff Pads brake blocks, made by Kool Stop, 3-in-1 oil your inner brake cable, make sure everything moves as it should.

JT71

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 11:27 AM »
you can get the cheapo ones from wilkos, they work but they wear out fast.

69p a pair if I remember rightly.

MeddlE

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 12:59 PM »
You want the newer ones, like these;

http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php'manufacturers_id=72&products_id=2248

£14 a pair from Alans or £20 for 4 from Vert-ego.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 01:22 PM »
Go with Alans and you'll get free stickers too!  :-)  (bloody Java script error won't let me use the smilies)  :-(

djgivvinup

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 02:00 PM »
I'd go for Alans personally, i've dealt with vert-ego & had nothing but hassle....Alans is always top rate customer service :0)

jstring

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 02:30 PM »
Super Cycle Discount!  Many a happy Saturday spent in there!

Welcome to the site.  Tuff pads are the way to go.  Although any soft compound pad would help.  What is on there now?

Ringo

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 10:37 PM »
I've got dia-compe ones on - least thats what it says.

Super cycle before it moved to Mansfield road! The whole shop was in a warehouse on the second floor! I sh*t myself (sorry if thats not allowed on here) when i first went when i was 11! Used to look in awe at the PK Ripper on the wall and come out pleased as punch with me brand new Ami triangles (couldn't afford anything else). I would have spent 24-7 on me bike back then if i could......

Anyway, Skyway tuff pads from Alans it is...

Thanks

Ringo

jstring

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 01:48 PM »
Yeah the place was awesome when it was on Sherwood Street.  I remember looking at all the three piece cranks in there and thinking how expensive the Redline and Hutch cranks were.  I wish had bought a few sets and tucked them away now.  If only I had seen Ebay coming!!!!

The Dia compe pads are Ok on alloys but awful on Skyways.  I'm sure the new pads will fix things.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Front brake doesnt work... (first post)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx