gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 09:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  wheels
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: wheels  (Read 708 times)

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
wheels
« on: November 09, 2007, 12:14 PM »
Are wheels easy 2 build? , as i like to have a crack at building mine. Also has any one got any decent pics of 4X lacing on a wheel (as this is what they have to be) . Cheers Carl :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 12:45 PM »
Have a look at the 'How to' I put together on wheel building.  The how to is a guide to 3x but 4x is just as easy.  Take your time and it should be fine.  The first time I laced a wheel (never having done one before) it took me about 45 minutes per wheel.  It now takes about 5 minutes per wheel.

Here is a link to the 'How to'

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=1344.0

Frosty

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:14 PM »
I can vouch for Stidds guide I used it for the first and all 5 pairs I have built since :daumenhoch:

the truing is the part that takes the time but get one of these (or an old pair of forks upside down in a vice)

and also then refer to the excellent Sheldon Brown truing guide

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#tensioning

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 02:22 PM »
i must be thick.....as i tried following it and ended up with a clown wheel!  i'd say it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to attempt

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 02:25 PM »
i must be thick...

Pretty sure you have just answered your own question Rob!  ;) :LolLolLolLol:

motomagII

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 02:53 PM »
i have built about 5 pairs of wheels and still struggle .i usually now get one wheel and copy the spokes but takes ages bout 2 hours a time

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 04:21 PM »
i must be thick.....as i tried following it and ended up with a clown wheel!  i'd say it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to attempt
I am begging u Pickle to please show me a clown wheel. I have just read that and its med me day , after having a shite one at work. and also cheers 4 all the info lads , much appriciated  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

wildwood1971

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 04:28 PM »
follow the g sport guide its easy as - i've done quiet a few sets now and to be honest i enjoy it - just make sure you get no interuptions

http://www.gsportbmx.com/tech/guide_wheelbuilding.php

Well worth trying  :daumenhoch:

Paul

rarman1

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 05:55 PM »
follow the g sport guide its easy as - i've done quiet a few sets now and to be honest i enjoy it - just make sure you get no interuptions

Paul

yep that what i built mine from, good as gold :daumenhoch:

just take your time with it, dont storm into tightning spokes until you've got it just right, truing should be the longest part of your wheel build.

first one i did took about 2 1/2 hours but i do them in a just over half that now, and there is some serious satisfaction from building a wheel up yourself :)

wildwood1971

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 06:14 PM »

Paul

yep that what i built mine from, good as gold :daumenhoch:

just take your time with it, dont storm into tightning spokes until you've got it just right, truing should be the longest part of your wheel build.

first one i did took about 2 1/2 hours but i do them in a just over half that now, and there is some serious satisfaction from building a wheel up yourself :)

Agreed can't see why more people dont try it - it aint that hard just gotta go steady  :daumenhoch:

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 08:09 PM »
The first time I built up a wheel I just got one that was already laced and copied it. Can now do them without even thinking about it while watching TV  :daumenhoch:

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 08:30 PM »
Show off  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  wheels

gfxgfx
gfx gfx