gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 12:02 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  HORBURY BMX TRACK ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HORBURY BMX TRACK ?  (Read 18304 times)

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
HORBURY BMX TRACK ?
« on: November 07, 2007, 12:59 PM »
Anyone who lived in the West Yorkshire (Wakefield) Area BITD remember a track in Horbury???

I am only local to the area during the past 13 years, spent my youth in Nottinghamshire.

I was chatting BMX racing to a lad I play football with and he mentioned a track just down the road from where I work... So about an hour ago, I was driving past the end of the road he mentioned, and turned down for hunting session...

Drove down this dusty track under a bridge into a small car parking area near a small lake.... had a wonder round and followed a rough football and then before my eyes I came across the old track...  :shocked:

Its obviously very very run down and most of the 'jump' have been either destroyed or attacked by local kids... and its clear that its now more of a manmade trails area that kids must ride... the actual BMX track layout is still intact with 4 berms and a few jumps still left...

Didn't have my camera with me, so pulled this image up off Google Earth...

Anyone at all recall this???

And my next question.... I know the land belongs to Wakefield Met Council (signs near entrance) but it obviously been left to decay and ruin for a long time and kids have made what they have by themselves.. but!!! What sort of cost are we talking to get a BMX track back up and running.. anyone any experience in this field...

Will nip over tomorrow and take some shots of the track from 'ground' level...

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: HORBURY BMX TRACK ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 01:05 PM »
Use to race there in the late 80's early 90's all the time. Im sure i have some photo's of racing there and video footage

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:07 PM »
Can you dig them out mate...? was it a decent track? and did they run regional events or anything there? and was it owned by a particular club..?

Any info would be great... :daumenhoch:

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 01:37 PM »
As you can see from this video I just found... the local kids have built a trails area across parts of the track.

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 01:39 PM »
Can you dig them out mate...? was it a decent track? and did they run regional events or anything there? and was it owned by a particular club..?

Any info would be great... :daumenhoch:

Track was crap and it was run by a club Horbury bmx club i think and i rode a few national events when it went to BBMXA

I'll scan in the photo's later

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 01:41 PM »
Cheers Jai...  :daumenhoch:

When you say Crap... what aspect was crap? the layout of the track or the jumps themselves... ??

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 01:52 PM »
Layout was crap, jumps ok for the day.

Heres a couple

First straight jump, me in the lead and i think its JJ baldbmxer in second

First corner, Rob Denman first, JJ second check out the Zeronine gear then me

Oh yeh JJ did ride his bmx's instead of polishing them  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 02:07 PM by SE-Bmxer »

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 01:55 PM »
They are great mate... anything else you have just post it up... I feel a letter to the local council coming on...  8)

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 03:54 PM »
i have'nt been to horbury track for ages,me and ghostriderx are only 10-15 mins away,shall have to have a word with him see if he fancies a ride over.

i used to ride at netherton about 5 mins from the track,it was a great place to ride and get your confidence up, the lads who built it tried to run it as a club with the help of wakey council,but the council weren't intersted and they had to close it down,it's taken about 3 yrs to finally get the go ahead for the skatepark they"re building so i wouldn't hold you hold out much hope in getting the track up and running any time soon.

nosnod might have some more pics/memories of horbury as he was the racer out of us wakey bmx boys.

priv

baldbmxer

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 05:15 PM »
Happy days! Me ole' Hutch XL24 and FreeAgent Limo. i fyou look carefully they are both very polished.

But check this out race lovers........ look very carefully at Jai and you can see THE MOST HORRENDOUS MULLETT EVER! haha

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 05:28 PM »
Unfortunately I have no pics of Horbury. I think the track only held races after 1987 when I retired

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 05:56 PM »
But check this out race lovers........ look very carefully at Jai and you can see THE MOST HORRENDOUS MULLETT EVER! haha

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

isn't that steve turner in the GT kit, whats he doing now

ghostriderx

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 05:58 PM »
I never raced there my self even though I grew up in Horbury and was in the ossett club / race team I packed in racing the year they moved the track down to Horbury it was never the same after the move. Spent lots of time dossing around on the track though and broke a few bones there bitchey roo will vouch for that. :LolLolLolLol:

About 8 years ago I was down there on a jump bike got talking to some guys who were having weekly meetings with Wakefield Council about getting the track re-done. The said they had been offered some cash and use of JCB's ect but it obviously it all fell through.

Deano :daumenhoch:

dal

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 09:35 PM »
used to race and be a club member bitd at osset  at the old track befor they had to move . i never had the chance to  ride horbury (packed in by then) but once stoped of there on my way down the m1 to have a butchers when they were holding a regional and it was very well atended which i was suprized about.shame to see the footage ,what a waste.

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 09:44 PM »
Did the club have a name...? I read a reference on bmxtalk to "Horbury Hotshots"? but can find no other mention of this in cyberspace...

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 10:54 PM »
Horbury Track 3D visualisation.

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 03:48 PM »
I'll have a look through the memorabilia and photos... it might take a while to sort through the photos. Then I'll scan anything of interest and post it up.

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 04:43 PM »
I'll have a look through the memorabilia and photos... it might take a while to sort through the photos. Then I'll scan anything of interest and post it up.

:daumenhoch:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 05:29 PM »
I did a race there at some point in the late 90's, I think Jeremy Hayes tried to get the club up and running but he went on to other stuff
maybe contact him Dave he can probably throw some names at ya

Dingo

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 07:08 PM »
There has been a campaign over the past year with the Council to get another track built there. In todays local paper they have just announced that the plans have been finished and are on display at Horbury and Ossett libraries for people to comment on. I think the club is called the Wakefield High Flyers.

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Only thing I've found so far is a race report from 1990. I think it's baldbmxer in 18/24 cruiser and some other names that went on to find fame:

I still need to look through a lot of the older photos (as my dad was racing we didn't take that many snaps).

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 08:07 PM »
Looks like you did OK at this meet Jon!  How old was your dad when won 35+?

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Looks like you did OK at this meet Jon!  How old was your dad when won 35+?

Yes, I was really quick this year, which was my last. It's quite embarrassing when you see how fat/unfit I am now  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
My dad was 41 this year - he won most of the BBMXA nationals that year and the British Championships at Derby.

Check out the famous names; Alan Smith the footballer, Stephen Murray, the Bateys etc

baldbmxer

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Andy White in the 14/15 Cruisers and 15 Boys is now guitarist in the Kaiser Chiefs.

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 11:31 AM »
Great News on this project...

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/News/PressReleases/news/pr2884.htm

This is a 5 minute bike ride from where I work...  :coolsmiley:

Really hoping this goes through and that funding is made available.
(Bad news is the fact that WMDC are currently making cuts to raise £19m and are looking at 'MONTHLY' Bin Collections!! so maybe a BMX track is not on their list of priorities but I can only hope!!)..

Fingers crossed...  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  HORBURY BMX TRACK ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx