gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 04:07 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  You'll Never Change My Mind.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: You'll Never Change My Mind.  (Read 3465 times)

ligbee

You'll Never Change My Mind.
« on: November 26, 2005, 09:00 PM »
I got hold of a copy of the 85 Kellogs today and have been watching the freestyle, it has hardened the thought that the black crap sold today is just totally non existant as far as style and individuality goes and being stronger is a poor excuse to think that they hold the edge. I've said it before and guess what I'll say it again, FBM-We The People-Mutiny  :wtf: are all they about.

KEEP IT OLD SCHOOL.

ligbee.

motomagII

Re: You'll Never Change My Mind.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 09:05 PM »
true mate very true but i have just got my new school and it does ride nice ,but looks shit

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 12:16 AM »
ligbee, i agree mate  , i dont ride so, i just stare and polish , cant beat the old babies ;D

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 01:01 AM »
yep, i have to agree...

I think there is still an echo of old skool class in modern race bikes though but your average ramp/street bike is poop

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 12:30 PM »
With respect, you may be missing the point....

You're right in what you say, no doubt, but strength is an issue and as the designs are refined and perfected then they are gonna end up looking all the same.  Just like skateboards and snowboards, only the artwork on those babies sets them apart.

I've just built a bike and I tried hard not to end up with summat that was completely black, and I couldn't do it... >:(   But rest assured once its scratched I'll be getting it chromed  ;)

Its only fashion. It'll change. I'm already seeing more and more colour at Rom each weekend. check it out next summer  :)

stoke bloke

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 02:45 PM »
I think it is all changing again as I see more and more of the old colours coming back . You only have to look through the latest copy of Ride to see that all of the big companies have got frames in some of the old school colours.  Lime green seems pretty popular.  I think that there is a pretty good choice now . I think that black will always popular as it has a lot to do with a certain type of image attatched to BMX.

theRuler

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 04:04 PM »
my bike is almost all black :(

RADHAB

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 08:23 PM »
My New school "Proper" bike is Red.... Its like fashion, just got to follow it mate!

Geth

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 10:03 PM »
My new S&M L.A.F. should be here in a couple of weeks.
Its green!

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 07:52 AM »

mines not black either :2gunsfiring_v1:
 :) DINGO :)

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 09:48 AM »
And this is one of mine

theRuler

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 10:01 AM »
doh whats up with black?
someone put up a list of whats "trendy" in bmx so i can catch up.

WizardWeb

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 10:03 AM »
I was reading on BMXonline an article about the new COO at Haro. He said trading over the last few years has been difficult but Haro has gained market share.

Do you think the reason that sales are down is not because fewer people are into it, but because all the bikes look the same and the thrashed look is in, so there's no point buying a new bike until it breaks.

Looking at the old catalogs, I remember how excited I got each year when the new models came out, even if it was just basically a sticker change. There's very few bikes I look at now and think "Wow".

Actually in the 88 Haro catalog, I found a bike that's got a higher front end and the front brake isn't a potts mod, but otherwise isn't too dis-similar to todays bikes... What do you reckon?

theRuler

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 10:13 AM »
it looks manky!!!

but yes modern frames all seem pretty samey.
i think thats what has given people their fixation on top tube lengths, as that is the only difference between frames now.
look back in action bike magazines at the bike tests, and the diagrams of the bikes showing all the angles (notice NOT a TT length in sight) and you will see the bikes were all different. sometimes that was good, sometimes not.

maybe frames now have reached optimum geometry.

and also frames are so tough now, that they dont need replacing so often.

bmx is also very "fashion conscious"

in the late 90's:
xgames aint cool
wide bars aint cool
toptube platforms aint cool
gyro's aint cool
a bike too clean aint cool
bright colours aint cool
wearing a helmet aint cool

now:
big sprockets aint cool
black aint cool
not wearing a helmet aint cool
saying cool aint cool

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn

WizardWeb

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 12:03 PM »
it looks manky!!!

LOL !!  It's not their best that's for sure !  ;D

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 01:19 PM »
If you ask me, that looks a bit like an attempt at a trials bike. Centre pull brakes, almost 1:1 gearing and a bash guard.

theRuler

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 01:21 PM »
read the blurb under the pic and see how right you are!

sam hudson

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 01:34 PM »
I'm in shock...have SE produced a new school bike in CHROME ?? :o :o :o Its not black...is it the shape of things to come??
http://www.sebmx.com/2006/bike-detail.asp?id=7
 I bet its just over lit silver.

theRuler

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 01:36 PM »
they've been making them in blue for a while

black is just a popular colour

a bit like everyone who buys a new car, buys one in silver.

WizardWeb

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 01:42 PM »
Apparently GT showed a bike in Chrome at Interbike and Hoffman has said dealers ask if chrome is available too.

I still think though that not only do the colours need to change but the frame desing needs to be more individual to each brand too. Just tiny details like different dropouts for instance. In the latest Ride, most of the new frames they review, are near identical.

ligbee

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2005, 09:10 PM »
That's exactly where i'm coming from wizard.

I dont think Haro would spend all those bucks re-releasing the Sport just to celebrate a birthday, they've looked at the market and noticed the clone situation. The bike will be probably twice as strong as the original but they've broken away from the no style-no inovation theme (no matter what colour it is) and brought out a winner, just needs a Kashimax on it (LOL).

ligbee.

Lawrie

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 03:06 AM »
Comparing old and new school bikes is pretty difficult because the new school designs are becoming more standard for the sake of functionability, the cost of which is that modern designs lose their individuality. So the whole 'what's best' argument is a matter of opinion based on what you want the bike for.

Personally, I only use my bike for normal riding now and think i'm the mutt's nuts if I can bunnyhop a kerb without coming off. So for me everytime i'd go for the classic styling and innovation of the old school stuff. The attraction for me of the old school rides is the pure inventiveness of the designs and while I appreciate that a lot of the old school stuff wouldn't last as long as the new, bombproof framesets these days, there's just no way i'd ever take a new school frame over something like an old school Haro freestyler, a Quadangle or a GT Performer.  :rant:

brimfull

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 10:53 PM »
My lad's having a Ruption 18" for xmas (not the best but no Hoffmans around till March). Got a choice of yellow (which I liked)

but no it's not cool enough he wants the black

Kids today  :idiot2:

Steve

piper

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 12:18 PM »

yeh its got to be old school,does anybody get excited by a new school catalogue...no thought not.
They all look  the same,the 80,s stood for innovation and character. :angrysoapbox:

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 01:19 PM »
My advice...never say 'never'...

You'll be surprised at just how different new school bikes/frames are when you really research them.

The simplicity of design is where the beauty is now and colours are coming back big time.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  You'll Never Change My Mind.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx