gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 05:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Customs the toss pots!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Customs the toss pots!  (Read 943 times)

munners

Customs the toss pots!
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:20 AM »
Got a bike cheap from the US.........i thought! Until i got a letter from the royal mail this morning... I gotta pay an extra £107! They really do take the biscuit. I am not getting anything from the states anymore. Sick of it all the time. And the bloke in the US promised to mark it under $50 and a kids bike etc. Looks like that dont work unless he didnt bother. Oh well. >:(

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
Re: Customs the toss pots!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:41 AM »
didnt bother mate, my bro sent me a bike and sent as a gift, got through no probs, but the first bike i got cost me 140 quid in duty,the tossers

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:48 AM »
 :2gunsfiring_v1: Royal fooking snail, got my cw seatpost on Saturday, £32 customs charge on a seatpost. Are we seeing a stealth tax on Ebay  :tickedoff: when i started building bikes 2 1/2 yrs ago i never got customs charges  >:( wonder what the revenue has jumped to because of Ebay ??

Paul :Great_Britain:

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 11:25 AM »
so much gear getting bought owt the states cos of exchange rate, they had to jump on it i suppose..however, some still slip through.Got some box cranks the other day, and even though the seller promised to mark em up cheap, it still said clearly 600 dollars on the box!

no customs charge though, which was a right result.....

i honestly think some americans begrudge us and our favourable exchange rate and dont do that bit,so you do get stung at the back end. Its like them not wanting to deal internationally, even though it makes no difference to them at all, as they sill have to pack it and take it to the post office.

the bloke who sold me the cranks moaned like fook about paypal taking there 3% or whatever it is...this was after i;d sent the dough and he wouldnt accept the payment when he realised there were fee's....told him to fook it off and cancel then..he soon took it!

Am cycles marked some cranks low for me once, and then didnt the next time and i got stung...

no way around the random nature of it i dont reckon.

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:34 AM »
when buying from the states you should always allow 4 it being caught,(because it wiil be) last time i was in parcel force with these                                                                                                                       sorry couldnt resist , theres a sign up now saying that customs are clamping down, so if it is nt that cheap with the charges, buy in the UK or Europe fook the americans

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 11:47 AM »
last year i think my name was on the customs wall so they hit me with a stick every item.
this year nothing ,not 1 charge on any item   ???

Offline Nicfred

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 01:49 PM »
i got done on a crank aswell  :knuppel2:  :knuppel2:  :knuppel2: :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1: :police:         
 :'(

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 03:50 PM »
Wardy are you following me about with them dam Profiles,  :knuppel2:    :LolLolLolLol: i fookin luv em  :-\

Paul :Great_Britain:

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 03:53 PM »
Just Teasing  ;D ;D

Offline Nicfred

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 03:56 PM »
oh you tease you :bondage:  :bondage: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 03:59 PM »
 Its alright 4 me 2 tease but got me bank statement this morn , me thinks the bank manager wants to c em as well  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 05:55 PM »
I've always found that if an item has been insured I've been charged if uninsured 95% of stuff has got through without charges but I do think they are clamping down even on uninsured
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 07:11 PM »
need pic of big eyes 2 take 2 bank with me in morn. Need best big eye pic  shot  :daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 08:31 AM »
when I had my shop, I had all my stuff delivered there. I never once got charged, perhaps try havin stuff delivered to a business address, because they assume businesses will declare  imports etc. I know it worked for me :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Superkav

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 04:48 PM »
What Ratty said,

Get it delivered to your place of work, that way it will always get signed for so no more trips to the sorting office to pick up items. PLUS you can hide things from the missus 8)

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 05:47 PM »
Tax does nt come 2 certain places.if a parcel is stopped, does nt matter about addy, you WILL be charged

login_user

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 09:00 PM »
Customs must of tightend up on imports  :wtf: i've been hit for tax and duty on the last 4 items from the US  :tickedoff:

MeddlE

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 10:23 PM »
Got my frame through today, customs didn't touch it.  Got the box marked up as 2nd hand bike parts.

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 11:26 AM »
I contacted customs and exise this week as I'm about to purchase a frame and some handlebars from the US, but wanted to know the duty payable.

Anyway, I've been given a call reference number, part references and the figures.

Frame: 8714911099
Handlebars: 8714991090

Duty will be the overall value (£125.00) + 4.7% + VAT. So I'm looking at about a £30.00 charge.

We'll see I guess.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 03:53 PM »

yup, me too. got hit for £12.50 for a hutch seat clamp sent in an envelope! which to add insult to injury, i had to collect from main post office.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 03:55 PM »
Got my frame through today, customs didn't touch it.  Got the box marked up as 2nd hand bike parts.

Ohhhhhhhhhh is this the new Raw one?   :D   get some piccies up soon mate!  :daumenhoch:

MeddlE

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 04:47 PM »

Ohhhhhhhhhh is this the new Raw one?   :D   get some piccies up soon mate!  :daumenhoch:

Not allowed access to it until early December as it's a birthday present.  Took it out of the box to check it was alright and now it's put away until next month.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Customs the toss pots!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx