gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 05:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Redline bmx experts.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Redline bmx experts.  (Read 597 times)

munners

Redline bmx experts.
« on: October 19, 2007, 08:57 AM »
Can anyone who knows there stuff  please give me a pm.

Cheers Nick  ;)

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Redline bmx experts.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 09:03 AM »
More info would be good:

But here's a start:

Redline Serial Dates

81-RA
82-RB
83-RC
84-RD
85-RE

gt0733

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 12:15 AM »
More info would be good:

But here's a start:

Redline Serial Dates

81-RA
82-RB
83-RC
84-RD
85-RE

these are for Japanese made frames.
American made frames had consecutive numbers and no logo stamp which makes them more difficult to pin down the year  >:(

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 12:41 AM »
I thought all production was switched from the USA to the far east in 1981? so any frame numbers without the letters should be pre 1982? I stand to be corrected though
A long time ago, in a land far away!

gt0733

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 01:54 AM »
I thought all production was switched from the USA to the far east in 1981? so any frame numbers without the letters should be pre 1982? I stand to be corrected though

you may be right there ratty, although in the crossover you could still get an American made frame in 1982 (this may only apply to the proline frames though) which didn't have the "R" in the serial. my prolineII from BITD (1982) had a consecutive number but may well have been a 1981 build as i ordered it late 1981.
i think mxII frames started production in japan from 1979, from the info i can find these frames had "RJ". i'm not 100% sure on this as i have yet to find info that confirms or denies this.
my black mxII frame has a consecutive number, so i'm led to believe it is an American frame, probably from 1979/80. my white frame is an "RC" series 3 which would tell me it's 1983 Japanese made. a friend of mine here in aus has a mxII with "RA", which to me would mean 1981 Japanese made.

there's also some slight differences in the "redline" stamp on the BB which may have resulted from different manufacturers. i only found out the other week that a mob in New Zealand were also an authorised frame builder for redline.

having said that, i don't really know or care much for anything after 1985 as that's the end of OS for me  :angel:  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 04:33 PM »
I have 2 MXII framesets.... one NOS and one restored. As far as I know the frames without the Redline Oval stamp on the BB are USA made! I bought a brand new MXII frameset in 1980 from Viking Sales & Spares, Davyhulme, Manchester (owned by Denis Christian) and that was unstamped on the BB. The USA made MXII's also had very slightly smaller rear dropouts and the downtube & seatubes were not open inside the bottom bracket area.

I don't know much about the history of the MXIII frameset though I'm sure it was Japan made. According to Richie Haney at VBMX.com the MXIII was a printing error on the decals when production of the frames moved to Japan!

I bought a new Redline 600a complete bike from Alans, Hindley, Wigan in 1983 and that had the stamp on the BB and was definately Japan made! That frameset also had the small triangular plate welded behind the seat clamp area of the frame.

Hope this info is of help.

John

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Redline bmx experts.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx